Police Assessment Centre

Woodytom

Attending one of these on Tuesday - 3 years after getting through the application stage!!

Done quite a bit of prep with regards to the things I will be doing - Role Plays/Interview Questions, etc. Probably on the verge of thinking about it too much to be honest.

Strikes me as one of them situations where its not a case of simply what you say, its how you say it and whether or not you use the words that they are looking for specifically - A bit of a lottery like the application form.

Anyway, just thought Id see if anyone has been to one before recently and had any last minute advice on the outline of the day/what to expect etc.

Cheers

Woodytom

The first rule of Police Assessment Centre, is that you don't talk about Policy Assessment Centre.

The second rule of Police Assessment Centre, is that everybody polices.

If you're new, you police tonight.....

I did this at Lloyd House in 2006...not sure what, if anything, has changed. If it anything like what I did, then you are right - they are looking for you to say the right words and do the right things.

Never let them doubt your integrity/honesty. If one of the role plays involves the suggestion treating someone differently because of colour, social status, money, etc, then don't. If a role play suggests whistle-blowing on a colleague, then do. Even when you're not in a role-play, you will be assessed, so be on your best behaviour as soon as you arrive and don't let your guard down until you leave.

I managed to "pass" my assessment but hated the job so much I left after a year. But don't let that put you off :)

Did mine at Tally Ho, but was about 18 years ago. We did the physicals in the morning and all the role play carp in the afternoon. I can't remember a fat lot else tbh and I'm sure a lot has changed since then.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you going to be a no non-sense, take on the bad guys and grind them into the dirt, heroic policeman like Jack Regan, George Carter and Gene Hunt or are you going to be a snivelling "What's that grandma, your Werther's Original wrapper slipped out of your arthritic fingers and onto the floor? That's littering! I'm taking you back to the station for a damn good drubbing!" PCSO type?

ACAB ;-)

Fortunately I have about another 6 interviews to go before I reach that stage CI. Over the toughest hurdle tho

Nah all the best mate, you gotta do what you gotta do these days.

If its being a bobby so be it. All the best.

Â