Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

On the train to Manchester on Monday, my United supporting mate was saying how Villa fans love to come to OT because it's a big day out. I had to remind him we've been every season since the PL began.

I hate going to OT, but **** me it's bloody impressive. Said it in the post-match thread (but it's down in the depths now) that I was overawed by OT, so I can't imagine what our players were feeling.

I've been there a few times & never really been overly impressed really..Agree that their fans are pretty dire really & are in the main just the kind who chose to support them because they get some childish buzz out of patronizing people, a behaviour which usually starts in the school playground... which is what they do all the time... just like your mate did to you!   Quite sad really but then thats what glory hunting fans do.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

You almost have to feel sorry for the few hundred genuine Utd fans, being surrounded every week by these glory hunting nobs plus virtually every kick off time moved for tv, what was it 49 consecutive FA cup ties on tv !

Then again all the genuine Utd fans now support FC Utd of Manchester don't they ?

On the train to Manchester on Monday, my United supporting mate was saying how Villa fans love to come to OT because it's a big day out. I had to remind him we've been every season since the PL began.

I hate going to OT, but **** me it's bloody impressive. Said it in the post-match thread (but it's down in the depths now) that I was overawed by OT, so I can't imagine what our players were feeling.

Rather than jumping straight in can i ask are you implying that our players were 'overawed' playing at OT?

Interestingly enough, international fans make pilgrimage trips to Old Trafford more than anywhere else because they are the most successful and popular team. All this because of success everyone else can dream about - and yet the few arguments against United are that all of their fans are glory-hunters and that there is no real support. I have been to Old Trafford as well as maybe 10 other stadiums in the Premier League, and to me the level is pretty much the same in terms of noise and songs. Anfield has their gay song and then nothing else, White Hart Lane was pretty silent, Villa Park was incredibly silent against Wolves two years ago except for booing every once in a while, Emirates was average, Craven Cottage the same when Villa played there (2-2), Stamford Bridge was pretty excellent during a CL-game against Copenhagen and against Arsenal in the PL (I stayed in London for a year while studying at Cass Business School and lived a tube stop from Stamford) and St. James' Park was pretty good.

With those "glory-hunters" at United in mind, am I not welcome at Villa Park when I go there in your eyes? I live in Norway but I have been to Villa Park 7-8 times in the last 10 years, spending roughly a 1000 quid every time on travel, hotel, trains, restaurants, shopping etc. from Birmingham airport to Villa Park. I watch the game and show support, but I don't sing because I don't know the songs and I really don't have that in me. IMO the support of Villa is not better than the one shown for Man Utd, even though lots of international tourists are there every weekend. Given their 76.000 crowds vs. our usual 30.000+ following I would assume they have more "real" supporters there anyway in terms of pure numbers. Of course one finds arguments to stick it to the best team when you cannot beat them on the pitch ever, but you are kind of sticking it to fans like me who do the same at Villa Park when I go there to see Villa play.

• Like 3

If there is one thing i hate more than a Heathen is a Manure or Chelsea fan. They represent everything that true football fans dispise. Glory hunters are nothng but spoilt brats with an ego you just want to punch.

Lowest of the low and soccer parasites.

I can talk to heathens, but when those glory hunting parasites start talking so expertly about the "game". i simply go into ignore mode ,turn my back, and walk away from the irrelevent twaddle.

Papillon ..

I'm not sure if anyone is referring this kind of fans to you .. Actually I don't think anyone who travel to watch a Villa game "even if it's just an away game" wouldn't consider as a true Villa fan .. Because we're losing more than winning for almost three years now ! 

Here in Saudi and I think most of Arab countries .. most of people supports Real Madrid ,Barcelona and then maybe United .. Due to the TV because the Spanish league is less expensive and in the same channel they have Italian and CL .... etc

While the only league in Abu Dhabi channels is the Premier League .. and Strangely it's more expensive .. So not everyone could watch it ..

anyways many of those people just watch the Classico .. And consider themselves as true fans .. 

What I found is that most of those who support the struggling teams .. Have the most real fans ! Which would like to go and watch their team whoever they play ..

For me .. It's better to go and watch let's say Villa x Reading game than Villa x Man Utd as the first is easier for winning ! Well I'm talking about myself because I couldn't come every game .. Couple of games a season by travelling one or two times to the UK ..

If I talked about this I may not finish .. But I hope you got my point ..

• Like 1

Everybody seem to rule out Newcastle from the race !

Well I know they're the most quality team down there but they're still there .. I think they're a team which we may look to .. I know they could get something out of Liverpool and Arsenal and they are capable .. They are favoured to get points from QPR .. Unpredictable for West Ham .. 

Even Southampton could get back to it ! If they lost their next two and we won !

Abdul, you dont know any very rich bored sheikhs do you?

Only if you do, have a word ;)

Hahaha .. Let's see .. But isn't it hard now to do a new chelsea or Man City ?

i agree Newcastle are definitely in this battle. but think Southampton have too much

I'm not saying that they'll go down .. But as I said in some of my post some pages back ..

If they lose to West Brom .. I think it would be very benefit for us !

They have Spurs .. losing that too .. and us winning our next two then we're above them !

Not only that .. they have Stoke and Sunderland after that .. If Sunderland and Stoke have been below us by two or three points let's say .. Then the two of them has Spurs and the Saints .. If Spurs and West Brom manage to win their next games .. It would be as important as Villa games !

Actually if Spurs Won their game ..

The three of Southampton , Stoke and Sunderland would be getting points against each other !

That's why I really think we need to look in Southampton results too !

Rather than jumping straight in can i ask are you implying that our players were 'overawed' playing at OT?

I think our younger players, who'd never played there before were. Like Bennett, Baker, Westwood, Lowton etc. 

Thanks for that. Can understand it but my worry is that if the players you mention are retained by the club and become the base of our team in the future then they will also become part of the vicious circle that has the wrong type of mentality whenever we play Man U if they too suffer defeat after defeat due to being 'overawed.'

We need to break this cycle of fear whenever we play Man U by getting our players to play without it and until we do that, our poor record against Man U will continue. 

Edited by Morpheus

Wouldn't it be just crazy if a team currently on 40pts ie Fulham thinking they were safe & completely out of it still ended up going down!

If they were 39 I would have said yeah .. but 40 and with their GD I don't think so ..

Because if you want Fulham to go Down ..

We need to beat Sunderland and Norwich + Getting something from Chelsea ..

Stoke to Beat Norwich and Draw with Sunderland ..

Sunderland to win Southampton ..

Southampton to win Stoke or Spurs or West Brom ..

Newcastle to win and draw in their coming game .. 

Norwich to win one game .. 

Wigan to win 3 and draw one ..

+ Fulham to lose all !!

We might be in a little danger if we were 40 because of the GD .. But I think they don't have to !

Lol .. When I read my posts .. I realize that I spend a lot of time staring at the fixtures and the table !

Thanks for that. Can understand it but my worry is that if the players you mention are retained by the club and become the base of our team in the future then they will also become part of the vicious circle that has the wrong type of mentality whenever we play Man U if they to suffer defeat after defeat due to being 'overawed.'

We need to break this cycle of fear whenever we play Man U by getting our players to play without it and until we do that, our poor record against Man U will continue. 

I think it's just an initial and very human reaction. I won't have the same thoughts if I go there again because I've already that wave of 'woah' hit me

Wouldn't it be just crazy if a team currently on 40pts ie Fulham thinking they were safe & completely out of it still ended up going down!

If they were 39 I would have said yeah .. but 40 and with their GD I don't think so ..

Because if you want Fulham to go Down ..

We need to beat Sunderland and Norwich + Getting something from Chelsea ..

Stoke to Beat Norwich and Draw with Sunderland ..

Sunderland to win Southampton ..

Southampton to win Stoke or Spurs or West Brom ..

Newcastle to win and draw in their coming game .. 

Norwich to win one game .. 

Wigan to win 3 and draw one ..

+ Fulham to lose all !!

We might be in a little danger if we were 40 because of the GD .. But I think they don't have to !

Lol .. When I read my posts .. I realize that I spend a lot of time staring at the fixtures and the table !

I don't want Fulham to be relegated, unless ofcourse it was a straight choice between us & them. As your thorough research shows it would take a set of highly improbable results to occur for that to happen.

All I am saying is just how crazy it would be if such a scenario actually played itself out. plus,Imagine  Villa & Wigan winning this weekend/monday & Newcastle,Southampton & Fulham all losing while Stoke & Norwich draw,

The pressure is going to cause meltdown!

I see Wigan won't let us take 5k there for the last game if relegation is on the line - even though that's what they give most sides and what they're giving Spurs this weekend . Cheeky words removed. No matter, we'll outsing them regardless.

It means I can't go. I had the criteria to get them earlier but thought it would be ok. Feckin' gutted.

I see Wigan won't let us take 5k there for the last game if relegation is on the line - even though that's what they give most sides and what they're giving Spurs this weekend . Cheeky words removed. No matter, we'll outsing them regardless.

There will be Villa all around the ground, no matter.

• Like 1