Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I think we're gone.

footballing wise we currently look like Derby in their 07/08 season, woefully out of our depth and doomed.

Some of the performances I have seen certainly give that impression.

Points-wise there is a big difference, however. Looking at the League table from 5 years ago, I see Derby were already 13 points behind 17th, having managed just 7 points from 23 games. They were obviously past the point of no return by then. They would have had to miraculously start performing like a top four team to have a hope of surviving.

Villa are not even (quite) in the relegation zone at the moment. That at least should give us some hope, no matter how terrible the performances. I saw Bolton looking equally woeful last season, but they ended up one goal short of surviving on the final day. Wigan looked even more doomed at one point, but ended up surviving with points to spare.

I fear the pessimists may be right, because we currently look flattered by 17th place and there have been too few encouraging signs that we are capable of keeping our noses ahead of the bottom three. But it's not over yet.

• Like 1

I still have some hope left 'VillaCas' that Lerner will do a u turn and give the manager some money. Either that or we sell Bent to get the two or three players we need.

Looking through the threads there is mass resignation to relegation.

I don't see it that way. I can't allow myself even to dream the nightmare that relegation would be.

If there are no signings then Lambert must get the balance right in our team with the players available. We still have some good players in Bent, Benteke, Westwood, Vlaar and N'Zogbia (played in the right position) and if we can get Dunne fit then he could make the difference in conceding less on set plays.

We also definitely need someone to sit in front of the defence. The cultured Westwood or Clark or indeed Warnock (probably not happening).

This is totally up to Lambert and the very fact that we don't sign anyone may in fact rally the support even more so all is not lost! 

I hope you are right - my enthusiasm before christmas was based on the view that we would bring in a little quality - the 2 or 3 players we are missing. For Lerner not to sanction this seems ludicrous to me - £10m investment .v. £50m-£100m loss of revenue

I still think we can stay up but it will depend on the fitness of a handful of key players.

VTID

We are going down, starting with a heavy 5 goal defeat this weekend against Newcastle. Their new players will be more than ecstatic to start well for their new team.

Sounds like you're looking forward to it but sadly for you we're not playing Newcastle this weekend

Rich sorry if you've already been asked this and answered it, but you were so happy about the way we seemed to be going forward.

Everything you were told before, has lerner just done a total 360 on it all??

I was so coninced he'd be given another 20mill this window.

Minor point - if you do a 360 your still going in the same direction - just a bit dizzier! Actually you could be right!

The debacle on Tuesday has destroyed the vast majority of support for the management IMO and I doubt very much it's going to change.

Just hope if we go we don't end up a Coventry or Sheffield Wed.

Rich sorry if you've already been asked this and answered it, but you were so happy about the way we seemed to be going forward.

Everything you were told before, has lerner just done a total 360 on it all??

I was so coninced he'd be given another 20mill this window.

As was I.

Has he changed tack,  probably actually he is known for flip flopping all over the place. Or maybe,  and more likely actually,  someone else's idea of backing and my idea of backing are not quite the same,  in which case I am annoyed with myself and have been for a few weeks.

I

It's getting to the point now where id put everything i own on us going down at the bookies

Were not even defending like a conference team its that poor

We have no bite in midfield no leadership on the pitch

Our only player who looks dangerous is Benteke who can easily get marked out the game if people double up on him 

I cannot see any positives at the minute the only one i could see was that we would bring in someone during the window but were not even going to try and save ourselves

Its pathetic

I think we will struggle in the championship we can't defend for toffee can't see that changing if Lambert is there next season!! We will prob still have no money cause of less TV money and poss lower gates! We have old players that are offering to help with coaching etc why are they not letting them help?!

No chance we'll go down. We're too big a club to go down. Now Dunne's coming back, I think we'll start to look more solid in defence and we'll get out of it. There are too many poor sides in this league - we'll turn things around. 

New game of gallows humour (please dont get offended people who still think we are likely to stay up).

Who will be the team to relegate us?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/fixtures

Optimistically i think we may hang on till Norwich puts us down. Any other bets?

Man Utd.. I think we'll pick up a few good results in the run up to Man Utd, we'll be feeling confident of possible survival and then Man Utd will beat us 5-0 which will leave us lacking confidence for the final 4 games.