Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Oh the devil and the deep blue sea,

In fairness we should have shut up shop against Chelsea, but as for the gung ho style - against certain teams it should be this way, Remember last season AM tried the defensive play and was hammered on here for it.

yep, a strange argument for me. Last year there were loads saying the shut up shop style of Mcduff was shite and they would prefer us to lose at least with a gung ho style. Now we need to shut up shop it seems

I really hope you are right, what ever happens though its got to be better than the first half of this season.

I agree, although I think even if we have another dreadful second half of the season and only get 18 points again that could still be enough to keep us up.

Funny thing is results wise we're still doing ok. 3 points from Liverpool away, Chelsea away and Spurs at home is a very good return for a team in our position and if we beat Wigan on Saturday we go six points clear. Those thrashings by Chelsea and Spurs seems to have got a lot of people understandably worried though.

A lot hinges on the Wigan game really. Win that and things are looking very good. Draw doesn't do much but still keeps us 3 points clear. We absolutely cannot lose it.

Edited by Mantis

I agree, although I think even if we have another dreadful second half of the season and only get 18 points again that could still be enough to keep us up.

Funny thing is results wise we're still doing ok. 3 points from Liverpool away, Chelsea away and Spurs at home is a very good return for a team in our position and if we beat Wigan on Saturday we go six points clear. Those thrashings by Chelsea and Spurs seems to have got a lot of people understandably worried though.

A lot hinges on the Wigan game really. Win that and things are looking very good. Draw doesn't do much but still keeps us 3 points clear. We absolutely cannot lose it.

You are right, although I wont read too much into the Spuds game as that was a hangover from the Chelsea game, as i said before I am glad it was only the 4 we lost by as it could have been alot worse. confidence is shot and the manager had no time due to holidays and the time between games to do anything about it, hopefully he will improve things for the week end.

The last two games may help us actually as Wigan will try and come at us and attack hoping the confidence is bad, they are not Chelsea or Spuds though and may just get punished for this, I hope this is the case as we need a good win to boost the players.

Regarding the cup - I'm hoping that we go out to Bradford - because it'll be more embarrassing seeing the children in the team lose their bottle again in the final and get completely thrashed again.

That seems to be villa these days. Just hoping for the least embarrassment.

Surely going out against Bradford over 2 legs would be more of an embarrassment.

yep, a strange argument for me. Last year there were loads saying the shut up shop style of Mcduff was shite and they would prefer us to lose at least with a gung ho style. Now we need to shut up shop it seems

Guys, my point wasn't that we should play defensively every game, far from it! I just cannot see the point of continuing in the same style of open football when we are away at the current Champions of Europe and losing by 4 or 5 goals! Our team has scored just 15 goals in the league so why leave ourselves wide open when we are already 4 or 5 down? If we were to get relegated on goal difference would you take the same stand?

Last season, McDuff went into every game in fear of losing and it was boring dross. I am certainly not advocating that kind of footie at our club and never would. I am saying that when we are 4 or 5 down and getting slaughtered, maybe a more negative approach is the way forward until we take to the field against someone else.

Maybe it's the way you mocked or referred to people as doom mongers when they could see reality.

Maybe it's because you're still having a pop at people for overreacting when your prediction was a massive overreaction.

And it's not really gloating. Just pointing it out while you continue to moan at certain posters who have at least been consistent in their views.

I think (think) a few weeks back you were claiming that we would be in the relegation places come January and I posted that I thought we would not be - that we would be a "little more comfortable" than that. We are exactly where I expected to be and a win against Wigan should cement that.

This was never going to be a steady journey - we were always going to have set backs but I think that we will progress and pull away from the bottom of the table and finish comfortably mid-table

We need to stay off the telly. Appearances on the box seem to set us up for another unwanted record. Now it's Bale's first premier hat trick. Tell Sky to bugger off.

To be fair every game breaks some premier league or other - its just skys way of hyping things up. Take Man U v swansea foe example (i kid you not this was quoted a few times)

If Michu scores today

He will be only the second player, from overseas, to score 10 goals, in his first season, before christmas

stupidity - thats not a record, just some highly contrived stat

The term "agree to disagree" or "agreeing to disagree" is a phrase in English referring to the resolution of a conflict (usually a debate or quarrel) whereby all parties tolerate but do not accept the opposing position(s). It generally occurs when all sides recognise that further conflict would be unnecessary, ineffective or otherwise undesirable. They may also remain on amicable terms while continuing to disagree about the unresolved issues.

I said I didn't see us higher than 17th come the start of January. What's your point?

And yes when you were telling everyone how much better and comfortable we'll be I'm sure you just knew we let in 12 goals in 2 pathetic performances.

I think you claimed we would be in a relegation position which we are not

and of course I didnt expect to ship 12 goals - I'm as disappointed as you are about that

Also I didn't claim that we would be "much better" or "comfortable", I claimed that we would be "more comfortable" than we were (which was in a relegation position) and we are.

I expect the improvements that we will make will be very small ones initially - I'm happy with the five game unbeaten run we went on, I'm happy with the performance and result against Liverpool, I'm happy that we progressed in the cup. Like everyone I'm unhappy with the nautre of the two recent defeats. There is still a lot of work to be done but i never expected otherwise - seems that some here thought that giving PL £18m to spend should result in a challenge for the top half of the table

I think you claimed we would be in a relegation position which we are not

and of course I didnt expect to ship 12 goals - I'm as disappointed as you are about that

Also I didn't claim that we would be "much better" or "comfortable", I claimed that we would be "more comfortable" than we were (which was in a relegation position) and we are.

I expect the improvements that we will make will be very small ones initially - I'm happy with the five game unbeaten run we went on, I'm happy with the performance and result against Liverpool, I'm happy that we progressed in the cup. Like everyone I'm unhappy with the nautre of the two recent defeats. There is still a lot of work to be done but i never expected otherwise - seems that some here thought that giving PL £18m to spend should result in a challenge for the top half of the table

I predicted no higher than 17th. If you want to find where I said different I'll happily apologise, however I don't remember saying that.

I don't think anyone thought we would be top 10. This is around where I thought we'd be and i said it throughout the whole of the summer when most were singing Lerner's praises, mocking anyone who thought we'd be in trouble and telling us how great our owner was again. Now those same people seem to bang on about what did people expect.

Although I thought we'd be around this position I didn't expect some of the god awful performances we've seen so far under Lambert.

There you go then. Thought I said no higher than 17th.

And actually it wouldn't surprise me that much if we were in the bottom 3 come january. It's hardly like my prediction is massively wrong is it? Its got a decent chance of being right. Again not sure what your point is.