Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

jesus there are people obsessed with vlaar in midfield? wtf for?

as i've said in other threads nothing wrong with 3 at the back, not got a problem with it at all. can be really effective, i'd LOVE us to get playing like napoli :) 3 CBs and 3 threatening forwards too. not defensive at all if you don't want it to be.

calling it an old formation and then harping on about 4-4-2 is a bit weird as well, playing 5 at the back with 2 wing backs was the old school way of doing it. i recon we could play a pretty good 3-4-1-2 if PL wanted to.

anyway, all a bit off the subject of relegation i suppose, has anyone looked at it this way? that we'll only go down if there are 3 worse teams than us in the division? i've also heard talk of this delap lad, supposed to have a proper long throw on him...

We don't have the wing backs though.

Brian Little used this formation with some success for a while - but in the end floundered, mainly because you expect to much of wing back - to be succesful the wing back must:-

Be able to receive the ball perhaps just inside his own half - beat a couple of opposition players - put a decent cross in

Then get back and put the defensive tackles in !

and he has to be able to that on a regular basis, not just a couple of times per match. The other problem is '3' at the back - starts to become '5' at the back limiting your options going forward.

We need nights like this as it is soul destroying to play so well and get so little and/or to see the team taking shape in the league but not quite being there yet.

So, this game has been good, but we really do need to put points on the table now.

Apart from the bottom three there are 4-5 other teams I'd put in relegation battle: Us, Southampton, Sunderland, Newcastle and maybe Norwich. There's just seven points between Wigan/Southampton/Us and Liverpool who are tenth - couple of us just needs to win two games and someone with 22 points to lose couple ones and they're in the mix too.

I'd love Stoke to get relegated but I doubt it, the probable teams to get relegated are QPR, Reading and one of the Sunderland, Southampton and Wigan.

Apart from the bottom three there are 4-5 other teams I'd put in relegation battle: Us, Southampton, Sunderland, Newcastle and maybe Norwich. There's just seven points between Wigan/Southampton/Us and Liverpool who are tenth - couple of us just needs to win two games and someone with 22 points to lose couple ones and they're in the mix too.

I'd love Stoke to get relegated but I doubt it, the probable teams to get relegated are QPR, Reading and one of the Sunderland, Southampton and Wigan.

Yes - but it is the couple of wins that have proved so elusive, Hence our position in the league.

We only need to win a couple of games to climb the table - but it is our inability to do that which is why we are, where we are.

Regardless of our current position I can't see us finishing below

Southampton

Wigan

Reading

QPR

Whether we string a number of good results together and shoot further up the table I can't see us below the above teams.

Southampton are improving and are more clinical going forward than us while Wigan have been there and done it before so I could see both teams finishing above us depending on what Lambert does in the January window.