General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

General Krulak here:

1. Although I have commented on this many times before, let me state again: MON and scouts look at players. They know, better than anyone, what our Club needs both now and in the future. They do the negotiating supported by finance and legal folks at Villa. Richard Fitzgerald does NOT get involved with players. Richard is in charge of marketing and sales within the Club...with driving our Brand world-wide. As an example, he was instrumental in the Nike deal. He does NOT get involved with players. Randy talks to MON...and when MON says that he wants a player, Randy writes the check. You have seen this happen with several players...Young, Carew, Coker are examples. Simply put, this is how it works.

2. I have found no place in B'ham as yet. I normally stay at New Hall when I am in UK.

3. Club accepts money orders. We will have our kit in many more stores as a result of deal with Nike.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi General,

As you are aware many fans are very appreciative of what the board and MON has done for this club. It is great to have guys like you running AVFC and doing what you can to make us a success. I myself trust you guys in whatever you do but I have to ask a question that I know you cannot answer, but maybe someone at the club can. In terms of player negotiations, why are we still negotiating 3 days before the season when this could have been started around May-June time? I do believe it is vital to get the right sort of players in but I can't help feeling as if things have been left a little late. This is not a dig but just a question that I needed to get off my chest.

Best Regards

Grievemeister

Hi General,

Could I first say that your communication to the fans via boards such as this has been a highlight for me as a sign of the integrity of the VP regime. I was wondering if ,that in your position as both a fan and as a member of the VP hierachy ,you understand the frustration of us "normal" fans at the apparent lack of transfer activity in the current window ? This is not a criticism of the deals already done, I feel that in previous posts you have made it very clear that MON and his team are responsible for the targets selected and that MON and Randy have a great understanding of the realistic money that they are willing to spend. However, maybe due to inflated expectations, I feel that many fans would feel dissappointed at the number of deals so far and ,as a fan in a unique position, wondered if you can see where many of us "are coming from".

General Krulak here:

Grievemeister: A fair question. Like you say, I really do not know the answer to your question...and I doubt if anyone other than MON has the full answer. My sense...and it is just my sense...is that your basic assumption is wrong. I would imagine that MON and his Coaches have been working on this Transfer window for a very long time...evaluating needs of the Club, evaluating players, looking at ability to get the players they want, etc. etc. This is not an activity that a Manager like MON just decides to "start" a few weeks before the season begins. Where he stands right now is where he stands...it is what it is. Like Randy, I believe in MON. I trust that he knows what he is doing and support him. As I have said many times before, Randy is prepared to support MON in getting players. ABSOLUTELY. MON is the Manager and is accountable for the Squad. We have seen what he has done since he joined Villa...he has methodically built a very good Squad and obviously has not reached the point where he is going to stop. I trust he will get on with it.

Thanks General for taking the time to reply. I do as many fans have a lot of faith in the board and MON, its just with the season about to kick off we was hoping for transfers to by 80-90% complete and to go in there with a bang. I'm looking forward to Saturday and I believe we've got a very good squad with quality that can help us achieve things. However as things stand I can see in juries getting the better of us which will be our downfall. I really hope MON will pull off some good trnasfer coups in the next few weeks. Again, thanks for your time.

Hi General,

Thanks again to yourself and the rest of the board for your excellent work.

I have one small question/criticism from yesterday. I rang the club up to try and sort out some sort of present for my father's 60th birthday as he has been an avid fan since our last FA Cup Final win and I wanted to try and give him a nice day out at the club for a match day. I first called the ticket office to see if there were any packages available and was told to speak to the Business section. I then spoke to Carol who was very helpful but said I should speak to one of the ticket office representatives. I then went back to them and was told that I need to speak to someone from events who would call me back which hasnt happened. Is there anybody I can call directly to get something sorted.

[edited]Hi General,

Scrap my last message, I had a very helpful man call me back and is sending me some details across so I can get something booked in due course.

Further more I have now been called again and given some more options which sound exactly what I was looking for. The club has been very helpful and a personal thank you to Dominic and Carol for getting back to me and being very helpful. I think my Dad will love it, especially as I will be driving and he can have a few beers...

Many Thanks

Andy

Hi General

Can i first thank you for taking the time to read and answer most of the posts on the forum.

Could you confirm that we did a straight swap/trade with Carew and Baros..? I only ask bacause you used Carew in an earlier post as 1 of 3 examples that Mr Lerner signed the cheques for MON for these players.

Many Thanks

Deamie

General,

I see the Browns finally sorted things out with Brady Quinn well done on that. It also shows that it is not just Villa being cautious in the transfer market. I read that the hold up was to do with incentive based contract negotiations, is this a system that Randy personally likes to work with? If so, has this system been brought in at Villa and could this be part of the reason that our transfers are taking so long?

I am not one of the pessimists by the way, I can be patient as i know what MON and Randy are attempting to do not just for this year but for the future. We must build strong and remain secure.

Up the Villa!!! I have faith.

Thanks

Jon

P.S. I was at the Inter game and am taking my dad to the Liverpool game for his 58th birthday, I love what you have done with the place, both the signage and the screens looked awesome. Let's just hope for the same result.....

General Krulak here:

1. I am glad you brought up the Browns...and Brady Quinn. There is a perfect example of Randy supporting the Manager and Player Personnel. Randy did not get into the negotiations...did not pressure people...just told his folks that he was "prepared to support them." This is exactly what he did and the result was that Brady is in camp.

Hi General

This is my first post on your thread and I would like to thank you for the time and effort listening to fans opinions.

I will not ask my question directly to you as I feel it is not really the sort of thing that you should be concerning yourself with as there are so many important things to be done at Villa. I would however be grateful if you could tell me who I could email with a concern about villa merchandise, ie shirts, kits, training tops etc.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Hoo Rah

not to answer for GK, but the club website says Email enquiries regarding your orders, or products to customerservice@astonvilladirect.com. Blandy

General, you should maybe be aware that for Newcastle away, the away scheme return date for unwanted tickets is given as 10 August, but as an away scheme member I haven't yet recieved mine. Though I will be going to the game, others may not.

I guess it is because of the postal strike, that the tickets haven't arrived yet, but maybe the deadline quoted on the O.S. should take account of the lack of delivery of tickets - you can't return what has not yet been delivered to you, basically.

Saturday August 18 Newcastle v Villa (ko 5.15pm) Live on Setanta

Ticket Prices: £33 adults, £27 Over 65s, £17 Under 16s

Wednesday August 1: Tickets on general sale.

Away scheme returns deadline: Friday 10 August.

General Krulak here:

1. I am glad you brought up the Browns...and Brady Quinn. There is a perfect example of Randy supporting the Manager and Player Personnel. Randy did not get into the negotiations...did not pressure people...just told his folks that he was "prepared to support them." This is exactly what he did and the result was that Brady is in camp.

General,

Thank you for your reply, but could you ellaborate more on the following part:

"I read that the hold up was to do with incentive based contract negotiations, is this a system that Randy personally likes to work with? If so, has this system been brought in at Villa and could this be part of the reason that our transfers are taking so long?"

I remember MON talking about incentive based contracts just after he came in, was that his thinking or something that Randy endorses?

On a conversational note, do you expect a good season for the Browns? I am a big Gridiron fan and would love to get over to watch my adopted team. Luckily I have tickets for the Wembley game between the Dolphins and the Giants to curb my enthusiasm for the time being. I don't suppose you will be in attendance will you General?

Cheers

Jon

not to answer for GK, but the club website says Email enquiries regarding your orders, or products to customerservice@astonvilladirect.com. Blandy

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I don't want to talk to someone about an order, I would like to speak to someone who is involved in making decisions regarding merchandise.

General Krulak here:

1. Re. merchandise: The #1 man in that arena is John Greenfield. You can reach him at Villa Park...or see him in the store.

2. Sorry I didn't fully answer the Brady Quinn question. In the NFL, many of the players have "incentives" baked into their contracts. As an example, a running back who gains over 1000 yards in a season might get a bonus...a quarterback who throws X-number of touchdown passes gets a bonus...a defensive back who gets X-number of interceptions gets a bonus. This is pretty common place. Simply puts, the player gets a base salary and then is "incented" to perform above and beyond the "expected." Randy, because of his work in the NFL is very much aware of and supports this program with the Browns. I can assure you, Brady Quinn will have some incentives in his contract. Since I am not involved in player actions here at AVFC, I would not know whether MON is utilizing the incentive concept or not. I would not see the incentive contract extending negotiations...not at all.

General Krulak here:

1. Although I have commented on this many times before, let me state again: MON and scouts look at players. They know, better than anyone, what our Club needs both now and in the future. They do the negotiating supported by finance and legal folks at Villa. Richard Fitzgerald does NOT get involved with players. Richard is in charge of marketing and sales within the Club...with driving our Brand world-wide. As an example, he was instrumental in the Nike deal. He does NOT get involved with players. Randy talks to MON...and when MON says that he wants a player, Randy writes the check. You have seen this happen with several players...Young, Carew, Coker are examples. Simply put, this is how it works.

2. I have found no place in B'ham as yet. I normally stay at New Hall when I am in UK.

3. Club accepts money orders. We will have our kit in many more stores as a result of deal with Nike.

Hi General

question 1 you say MON says he wants the player and Mr Lerner writes the cheque.

You have used Young,Carew and Coker as examples of this.

I was under the impression that we did a straight swap/trade with Baros and Carew , are you able to confirm this as it may lead people into thinking that we payed a fee for Carew.

Many Thanks

Deamie

General Krulak here:

Hi General

question 1 you say MON says he wants the player and Mr Lerner writes the cheque.

You have used Young,Carew and Coker as examples of this.

I was under the impression that we did a straight swap/trade with Baros and Carew , are you able to confirm this as it may lead people into thinking that we payed a fee for Carew.

Many Thanks

Deamie

Not trying to speak for the The General but I'm sure I read/heard we paid £3m to Liverpool after distinguishing with Baros' services as part of resale fee in the contract? Could be wrong.

General Krulak here:

1. Re. merchandise: The #1 man in that arena is John Greenfield. You can reach him at Villa Park...or see him in the store.

2. Sorry I didn't fully answer the Brady Quinn question. In the NFL, many of the players have "incentives" baked into their contracts. As an example, a running back who gains over 1000 yards in a season might get a bonus...a quarterback who throws X-number of touchdown passes gets a bonus...a defensive back who gets X-number of interceptions gets a bonus. This is pretty common place. Simply puts, the player gets a base salary and then is "incented" to perform above and beyond the "expected." Randy, because of his work in the NFL is very much aware of and supports this program with the Browns. I can assure you, Brady Quinn will have some incentives in his contract. Since I am not involved in player actions here at AVFC, I would not know whether MON is utilizing the incentive concept or not. I would not see the incentive contract extending negotiations...not at all.

I would say though gen (without debating on this that)

a) in an ideal world I think everyone believes that players should be paid like that

but

B) its not an ideal world and if Villa turn round and say "we'll give you 20k per week for playing and 20k if we win - and Sunderland say "we'll give you 40k whether we win lose or draw - what would you do if you were the player !!

We don't know whats going on from the outside - but it would answer a lot !!