General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

isnt it also as bad to come out and inform the fans to expect top signings is it right to release information to encourage people to buy season tickets i think it got to be all or nothing really i think the board have made a bit of a rod for themselves with that comment so i think a total blanket of silence is better than getting fans hopes up people will always see things in quotes look at how many rumours the "we start today" comment on the os where it was just saying that nike started today as it was the 1st day of there contract but people thought it was a quote from the villa secretly telling the fans something i think the club is in the best situation it has been in in a long time with professionals working at every level of the club from the playing staff to the top but i think the board have learnt a lesson i think and that is no news is good news then things cant be read into

we are in good hands we are into phase 2 of a 5 year plan and im for one loving it

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gen

In what has been a bit of a negatiev week (from me as well - although I do believe although I have been disappointed on some things I have at least been civil unlike some others) can I just say congrats on the kits - both of them..

Can't fault either , am totally happy with both and would hope they stay these for a number of years.

I'm interested in whether US fans' attitudes would tend to be (a) "my team, right or wrong" (B) low-key grumbling at unpopular decisions or (B) outrage. Bearing in mind that this is not the selling of a popular player, nor the failure to buy ANY players, it's an actual purchase - albeit a fairly low-key one after a long wait.

There are signings where there's something between b and c.

More draft than transfer, but http://youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98. Some of the fans interviewed are saying (perhaps with a tinge of sarcasm) "maybe the Jets know something we don't", some of the picks are greeted with anguished howls, and some wer cheered (and later turned out to be blunders).

I know that many Patriots fans were not enitrely pleased with the decision to sign Corey Dillon, who had a reputation for not being a stabilizing presence in the locker room while he was with Cincinnati; however, he was able to become a fairly good member of the team during his years in New England. The success the Patriots had with Dillon has probably given them the confidence to try their luck with another malcontent in Randy Moss (we'll see how that goes).

Still, fan outrage is rare. Trades/transfers are comparatively rare in the NFL (most of the players move from team to team through a Bosman-like system), and the fact that despite the statistical depth, most fans don't pretend to be great evaluators of talent.

Baseball, where trades are an established part of fabric, and which still has the "hot stove league" (during the winter offseason, fans could be said to huddle around a proverbial hot stove discussing potential trades, much like football fans do), and where the fans seem more inclined to pass judgement on the value of players, has this sort of reaction. The next time you're in a New England pub/bar ask about the trade that sent Bronson Arroyo to Cincy for Wily Mo Pena. The vitriol directed at Red Sox management (I'm ashamed to say that I forget whether that trade was made before or after Theo Epstein went on his sabbatical). Alternatively, you could ask any Red Sox fan about Julio Lugo, and probably a solid majority of Yankee fans strongly regret signing A-Rod.

General- great kits, and Harewood will prove to be a good signing- keep up the good work.

With the Holte Hotel nearly finished, whats the next thing the club want to do at Villa Park?

isnt it also as bad to come out and inform the fans to expect top signings is it right to release information to encourage people to buy season tickets i think it got to be all or nothing really i think the board have made a bit of a rod for themselves

I agree with this entirely.

2. I don't think I said I would make good on the Season Ticket...I think I said to contact Nicky Keye and she would sort it. If this is all about a potential/possible signing, please don't make season ticket decisions on something like that.

I have to ask why not? I believe many people will have brought their season tickets in good faith on the back of statements made from within Villa Park. I'm not saying I'd go that far myself because thankfully there's a little bit more to me then that, but I certainly didn't buy my season ticket with the thought I'd be watching the likes of Marlon Harewood in a Villa shirt next season.

Whilst we are buying the Marlon's of the world teams like Spurs are making a genuine attempt to gatecrash the top four this season. I perceived the words of Mr Fitzgerald to mean we'd be attempting to do the same, like the majority of other Villa fans. Quite frankly sir that statement looks a little empty right now. This said I still love you, Randy and Martin O'Neill. I'm just a little disapointed.

General

Just seen the new kits (officially!) and would like to say how fantastic they are, please pass my thanks on to all those involved in bringning Nike to the party, they have done a marvelous job!

As for all this moaning about Big Marlon, we Villa fans can be a bit un-grateful at times but please don't let anyone take it personally. I am sure the Big Man will prove many people wong.

Keep the Faith and up the Villa!!

Huge thanks for the Nike deal. The new kits are wonderful. A far cry from the tat we've been served up in recent years. I haven't bought a replica shirt for years - i'll be buying both the home and away tops this year!

Also, please wish Nigel and Marlon a warm Villa welcome from me when you bump into them.

Up the Villa!

General, just felt inclined to pass on my continued thanks for your hard work, and patience!! I can't apologise for the crazy and wild reactions of others but rest assured as with most football fans, we're a passionate bunch and you can be assured that you will see that passion channelled correctly once the plans of MON and the Board come to fruition.

In the meantime, your undeserved patience is much appreciated.

General, just hope that yesterday has not soured your relationship with us ...

just a question on the Holte Hotel, will it be open to everyone on reserve games ?

and will all reserve games be played at VP ?

General,

MAy I first ask you to pass on my regards to Marlon Harewood and hope that he feels at home here. And may I also extend thanks to you for looking into my query/grumble about the cup and more specifically the away scheme. I really appreciate it.

As a designer can I ask you to extend congratulations to all involved in the new merchandise involving Nike. Quality throuhg and through. THough can I asl tell you of my most adament annoyance and disdain. Why? Well Seeing the gorgeous kits and other Nike stuff coming through slowly, it means I may have to get a second mortgage out to cover what is being produced. General, the home, away and keepers kits are quality. I love the fact that they are so simple. THe true test of design is to kep it simple, and it's what you do NOT put in rather than what you add, just like cooking. NIke along with those tat the club involved, have hit nailed it. THe black training top is just a sexy top.

A well done to all concerned, and the advertising says pue class too. Love it, a bit too photoshopy but as the theme runs through it works great. May I suggest using the fontage used throughout the corprate usage, ie the Nike ads, the issues of Claret and Blue, the stuff sent out all follow a style. Normally I'd not do that but as the club is looking to establish a new identity then a style fully across the board would help and work.

Oops, sorry to talk 'shop', guess my new job and the better ways have got to me!

Stewie

General, the new kits look absolutely fantastic.

However, without wanting to rehash the debate over the Harewood signing, one thing that should be absolutely crystal clear from events this week is that whilst nice kits and the Holte Hotel are fantastic, these absolutely pale into insignificance compared with building the team on the pitch.

We've been let down many times in the past, we need now to compete with the other teams chasing UEFA spots, but there is a belief amongst many of us that so far this summer we haven't seen the progress we expected on this front.

You've got an incredible amount of goodwill, if you screw it up (and I'm not suggesting you will), you need to be aware that the anger over this last signing will look tame by comparison.

If we sound melodramatic this week, it is purely because we've seen so many false dawns before.

Don't let us down.

Up the Villa!

General

As you sit at your computer reading some of the comments on this site probably shaking your head in disbelief and wondering,.... 'What the hell is wrong with some of these people'. I feel i need to reasure you, 99.9% of us Villans Love what you guys are doing for our great club.

We have had to sit and watch our team drift into oblivion these last few years and it hurts. Since Randy, Yourself and the rest of the team have arrived the feel good factor is growing fast. You have moved quickly on all kinds of areas... e.g. Training Ground, Holte Hotel, Nike Kit Deal, New Branding etc.

With the statement released of 'top class signings' on the way, I think us fans simply got carried away with excitement and expected the same swift action that you've taken in other areas.

I look forward to the new season and whoever MON decides he wants to sign will get my full and loudest voice come August 11th.

Keep up the good work and 'Up the villa'