Germany bans circumcision

LondonLax

Certainly think that parents should be able to choose circumcision or not. Once you get to the age where you can even realize you are circumcised there is certainly no longer any pain from the procedure. And say you did not get circumcised and then decided you did want to at an older age...well then it is going to hurt a hell of a lot more getting it done. For that reason, the choice should be up to parents in this case, imo of course.
Nope that is exactly why it SHOULDN'T be up to the parents. If the religion is that important, and it requires this absurd mutilation, then take it like a man. Don't do it to babies, you **** cowards.

Certainly think that parents should be able to choose circumcision or not. Once you get to the age where you can even realize you are circumcised there is certainly no longer any pain from the procedure. And say you did not get circumcised and then decided you did want to at an older age...well then it is going to hurt a hell of a lot more getting it done. For that reason, the choice should be up to parents in this case, imo of course.
Nope that is exactly why it SHOULDN'T be up to the parents. If the religion is that important, and it requires this absurd mutilation, then take it like a man. Don't do it to babies, you **** cowards.

I suppose it is possible that I am looking at it from outside a religious context in this case, possibly making my point irrelevant to the specific debate in Germany.

How many uncircumcised people elect to have it done in later life? Almost none afaik. Mine was done for unknown, non-religious reasons, and frankly I would rather have had a say in the matter.

I refer you to MJMooney's excellent post above yours: What if it was about snipping off the tip of a little finger, or applying a tattoo for religious reasons?

My POV comes more so from an American perspective I would say because I was actually born in the US, where circumcision is essentially common practice and not tied strongly to religion in most cases.

yeah heard it is more popular in the US for non religious reasons...

How many uncircumcised people elect to have it done in later life? Almost none afaik. Mine was done for unknown, non-religious reasons, and frankly I would rather have had a say in the matter.

See my situation was the same, but to be honest I really am not bothered and do not care that my parents elected to do it.

See my situation was the same, but to be honest I really am not bothered and do not care that my parents elected to do it.

Wouldn't be saying that if the doctor got it wrong ;)

Er, Snap! :oops:

Yeah, it's not a biggie for me (unlike my member itself, which most certainly IS, ha ha, ho ho), except to say that I would rather have had a choice.

But the other issue, which I DO feel strongly about, is what they're going on about in Germany: Do parents have the right to indoctrinate their children into their own religion?

IMO, since Darwin (et al) figured out that what the Churches, Mosques and Synagogues were telling us is complete crap, it is our responsibility to prevent people from telling their children otherwise, and sending them down the path of religious rites, beliefs and traditions that are based on fantasy. If they choose to hold such fantasies as truths in later life, let them, but don't let parents pressure their children into going down that road. People are prepared to kill and be killed over religion. Not what the world needs.

And there's this, as well.

I suppose I just would not have known the difference and my messed up member would be what I thought was normal :winkold:

You see this brings up the worrying bit, that unnecessary surgery for religious beliefs is considered acceptable and normal. It also allows children to be brought up into their religion without any real thought process. They then sleepwalk through their beliefs and pass them onto their kids, hence the wishy washy religious folk continuing these daft superstitons.

One thing this thread sorely lacks is the case for religious circumcision. I don't know what this is but would be very interested to hear it from an informed poster. I don' like to condemn anything until I have heard both sides of an argument and there is a great deal of history, tradition and respect around the Jewish community that gives it the right to at least be heard. Can anyone here explain the pro position to me?

IINM, it (at least for Jews) persists as a tribal identification thing (though how useful that is is open to question).

Does this mean that if I'm not sure if someone is a Jew I can legitimately ask them to get their cock out?

You see this brings up the worrying bit, that unnecessary surgery for religious beliefs is considered acceptable and normal. It also allows children to be brought up into their religion without any real thought process. They then sleep through their beliefs and pass them onto their kids, hence the wishy washy religious folk continuing these daft superstitons.

Well, for my point at least, what I was saying is that mine was not done religiously at all. My family is very nonreligious tbh.

One thing this thread sorely lacks is the case for religious circumcision. I don't know what this is but would be very interested to hear it from an informed poster. I don' like to condemn anything until I have heard both sides of an argument and there is a great deal of history, tradition and respect around the Jewish community that gives it the right to at least be heard. Can anyone here explain the pro position to me?

Sure.

You see, there's this, like, entity, who sits up in the sky and watches over us. He sees everything we do and reads all out thoughts. If we want something, like really really badly, all we have to do is shut our eyes and murmur our wishes to the entity and, depending on whether it is his will or not, he will or will not make it all come true.

Naturally it is only right that we should worship and obey such an entity.

Fortunately there are people living here among us on earth who are able to interpret the thoughts and wishes of this entity. They have been kind enough to point out that the entity wants us to hack off the foreskins of all male children at birth, or soon after.

Hope that clears it up for you.

There have been cases made for it having some health benefits, I seem to remember hearing that circumcised men are less likely to suffer from a couple of STDs and other ailments, but I'm not sure that there was an absolutely cast iron argument there. It's been argued that the hygiene benefits are reason enough to have it done, but that seems to suggest that if you've got a natural package you can't wash...

Â