Camera DSLR

Dodgyknees

I have £450 for a DSLR and have looked at the Canon EOS 550d but it is a little out of my price range.

I love the fact I can attach a mic to increase sound quality on the videos and also think it will give me a good DSLR for what I need.

Dark rooms/gigs. Open spaces/Festivals. Etc

Any suggestions?

If you're gonna shoot low light stuff (gigs) and want to avoid having to use the on board flash I suggest you get a used DSLR with the attached lens and an additional 35mm or 50mm f1.8. That way you have more creative options and if you chose to spend more on photography later you can get a better camera and keep the lens. The 50mm should be about £100 new. Both are versatile, 50mm better for portraits, 35mm better indoors and covering larger scenes. Both are great for video (especially in low light).

I went to a wedding at the weekend and I think there had either been a sale on DSLRs or the bride & groom had been giving them away at the reception. There must have been about 8 people with the exact same camera...

Ye annoyingly that happens these days and everybody thinks they're wedding photographers. It's pretty easy to get a decent camera these days which is good. doesn't make them professionals though. As long as people don't act like they are then I think it's cool that photography is more accessible.

I have a few weddings coming up and been pondering just that. Honestly I don't mind it and I always have a chat with other photographers, amateurs or pros. When I did my last wedding though the couple requested that no one takes photos but the photographers. I was working with a friend and it was a very enjoyable evening as everyone got lost in speeches, drinks and dancing (except for me stepping on dog poo during the couple shoot). My friend was using the 100-400mm so that he could get close without interrupting the flow, but by the time the guest had a few drinks no one noticed me being all up in their business and I could get away with using my 35mm and even the 24mm.

I think if half of them were carrying cameras it would have been very different as people have their guard up when they are aware of cameras. It's also very different when you know the only person snapping you is a professional who is likely to only show pleasing images, whereas your uncle or your best mate's sister's brother will be happy to show you in the most embarrassing of situations.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread.

I'm also looking into buying a DSLR and taking the step up. I currently own an old Olympus compact and a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ38 (bridge camera). The latter has thrown out some very impressive results since I purchased it, yet I want to take that next step up.

I'm looking to get a DSLR that has good picture and video quality (for making shorts) and am tempted by the Canon EOS 650D. The Nikon D3200 has also tempted me, yet I'm leaning towards the Canon. Does anyone have any thoughts on either of these and on which would be better?

I'm extremely tempted by the Canon 5D, yet the massive price is putting me off. Therefore I'm really looking for that ground around the £500-800 mark, as opposed to the £1,000+ mark. Yet I want something that will last for a few years and that will take decent video along with the pictures.

I have the Nikon D3100, it is fantastic. Nice guide mode if like me you need a little help. Not too heavy and has come down in price recently. You may want one that takes HDR photos though.

...and a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ38 (bridge camera). The latter has thrown out some very impressive results since I purchased it.

Do you have a charger for that and what is its model number, might sound odd question but I have a FZ-30 that I want to stick on e-bay but am yet to find how to get the battery charger to connect to the mains.

...and a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ38 (bridge camera). The latter has thrown out some very impressive results since I purchased it.

Do you have a charger for that and what is its model number, might sound odd question but I have a FZ-30 that I want to stick on e-bay but am yet to find how to get the battery charger to connect to the mains.

I do indeed and the model number is DE-A44A (without the second 'A' on the front of the charger yet with it on the back).

Would this one work for you?

On another note, the Can 650D is starting to make me drool. I'm tempted to click the order button on Amazon. So tempted...

just bought my wife the D3100 for her birthday, loads of people recommending it as a good entry level camera. Got it from Jessops in a twin lens kit for £500.

Best entry level ever. It has features my d700 doesn't. Of course doesn't really compare but it's amazing. In fact one of my blog posts (portrait) was done solely with that camera and a 35 1.8. Not the usual pro combo. But 99% can't tell. If not 100%. I love it that much.

I'm trying to narrow this down now and I have come to the conclusion that I will be getting the Canon 650D or the Nikon D5100. The latter is around £200 cheaper. Is it worth spending the extra for the Canon or do you think the Nikon will get the same results (photo and video)?

Â