Camera DSLR

Dodgyknees

Cheers, as a novice I'm always a bit wary.

Can I ask yet another idiot question? The depth of field indicator, how exactly do i use it? If I have it all the way over above 7ft is that the distance I am away from what I'm photographing?

I know, I know, dumb question, I'm cringing asking it!

The Preview? I never use it but you press it and it roughly shows you what should happen. If that's not what you mean then erm :)

Been using my compact over my Canon DSLR on my travels of late , so much easier than changing lenses and not so bulky ... but i'm not happy with the compact in low light so tempted by a Bridge camera now

anyone using these , any positives / negatives with them ?

I think he means the indicator on the lens. The numbers do indicate distance to focus point, but they've pretty much lost their purpose as more and more info has been left out. More info

On older lenses you would, in addition to seeing ft/m and enlargement scale, also have an aperture scale and on really old lenses occasionally also depth of field scales. You could accurately tell at which number of feet the focus starts and ends at different apertures. Makes sense to me that its gone though as auto focus makes things easy and I think the people that actually need this information will know how to work it out anyway.

Ye I was thinking that too but can't recall that lens having it hence I left it out, but it's been a while since i had the 50 at 1.8 so (i have 50 1.4 now) so I could be wrong :)

I'm using the d7000.. Very happy with it. Only issue I have with it is that I occasionally struggle with the auto focus, especially if I'm shooting sport or other things with movement. Colors looks better with it compared to my "old" d90, especially on higher ISO. Wouldn't mind a d800, but I can't afford it atm.

I've also recently upgraded from a D90 to the D7000.

Been using my compact over my Canon DSLR on my travels of late , so much easier than changing lenses and not so bulky ... but i'm not happy with the compact in low light so tempted by a Bridge camera now

anyone using these , any positives / negatives with them ?

I've got a Lumix DMC-FZ38 which is now an older model Bridge camera. It has served me well, although mine wasn't brilliant in low light. I'm sure that has probably been improved now in newer models. It is very good apart from that and the zoom is fantastic.

On the DSLR front, I ended up going for the Canon 650D. Thanks to all of you for the advice and I was really tempted by the Nikon D5100. However, the Canon seems to be better when it comes to video footage and the photo side of it is rather good too. I ended up just going for it and got it with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Kit included (as standard). I've been messing around with it quite a bit and it really is a big step up from a Bridge camera.

I also picked up a Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Lens. I'm looking at getting the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens as my next lens (for filming aswell as photography). Any others that may be worth looking at?

thanks that is what I mean, so if I am photographing something over the last figure of 7 ft, and at the infinity symbol then that is the setting i should use.

Here are a couple of shots I took with it:

7500709620_b531e6c8bb.jpg

7500710092_6fce98fde9.jpg

I've got a Lumix DMC-FZ38 which is now an older model Bridge camera. It has served me well, although mine wasn't brilliant in low light.

A common complaint with the lumix cameras. I've had a few dslr and compact and they've all been the same. Fantastic pictures in good light but horrible ones in lower light. Read once it was a software issue but I've no idea if that's true or not.

Â