Laursen rules himself out of Villa job: for now

Demitri_C

Laursen - Too soon for Villa

Former skipper still loves club and would love job in future

Last Updated: May 22, 2012 10:30am

Martin Laursen: Says he will not be replacing Alex McLeish as Aston Villa

Martin Laursen has ruled out the possibility of becoming Aston Villa manager at the current time but says he would love to take charge of his former club at some point in the future.

Former Denmark international Laursen was forced to quit Villa and retire three years ago because of a knee problem.

There has been speculation linking Laursen with a return to Villa but he is currently taking his coaching badges while part of the staff at Danish side Sollerod-Vedbaek.

He does not believe it is the right time to take such a job as the one at Villa and has ruled himself out of the running to replace Alex McLeish.

Dream

Laursen said: "That (the speculation) is flattering but it (Villa) is too soon for me, I'm afraid.

"I'm taking my coaching badges in Denmark and coaching at Sollerod to get some experience.

"It is going well but to manage Villa is too early. In the future, that would be a dream for me. Fans know how much I love Villa, a great club."

Villa have held informal talks with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as they continue their search for a new manager, while Brendan Rodgers, Paul Lambert and Roberto Martinez have also been linked with the role.

LEGEND

not sure if this has been reported but man deserves his own thread, definitely would love to see him manage us one day in future. love sthe club, fans and you can tell he is itching for it. would absolutely at first want him to join our coaching staff first as too green right now

I would prefer Ole had the staff he wanted working with him rather than having a Villa legend foisted on him.

We don't know how good a coach Laursen is yet. If he turned out to have some talent for it, I would of course love him back at the club.

I'd be amazed if Laursen didn't have a talent for coaching and management. Much like OGS, he just has something about him (apart from Scandinavianishness). Obviously it is, as he says, much too soon, for him to be Villa manager, but if he proves himself at other clubs he'll walk into the job one day.

I would prefer Ole had the staff he wanted working with him rather than having a Villa legend foisted on him.

We don't know how good a coach Laursen is yet. If he turned out to have some talent for it, I would of course love him back at the club.

I agree. Whoever is the new manager should be able to build the team with their own appointments. This is the time for s clean slate and a fresh start.

Plus as you say, he could be a terrible coach for all we know. Great player doesn't always equal great coach.

Right, as Olè and Lambert are out of contention I think we should go for Laursen and give him his first job in football management, again it will be a gamble but he'd certainly be given time by the fans and would be respected by he Villa players for the job he done as a player, Mellberg could then come in as a coach and we could still have a dynamic Scandanavian duo at Villa Park, or would they set the team up to be too defensive with both being defenders....

Right, as Olè and Lambert are out of contention I think we should go for Laursen and give him his first job in football management, again it will be a gamble but he'd certainly be given time by the fans and would be respected by he Villa players for the job he done as a player, Mellberg could then come in as a coach and we could still have a dynamic Scandanavian duo at Villa Park, or would they set the team up to be too defensive with both being defenders....

Agreed.... would be a good appointment IMO, i know it would be his first job and it would be a risk but hey i'd rather have him than dross like MM or Brucey Bruce.

Far too soon for that sort of thing, as Laursen himself has sensibly pointed out. Would come across as an absolute desperation measure. If you're so hung up on getting a young Scandanavian manager, how about at least considering one who has had some managerial experience? From what I can tell, Henrik Larsson hasn't set the world alight as a boss, but at least he's got some hands-on experience.

I'm not too fussed on a young Scandanavian manager but looking at other names being mentioned has started to worry me, at least Laursen knows what AVFC is all about and would be welcomed by the fans...

Â