General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Yeah ask west brom fans what they think and take it as gospel.

Ignore what mk dons and chelsea fans say though. They dont have a clue.

Ridiculous.

If he is that good why aren't Chelsea appointing him?

Only because Abramovich wants a name. No other reason

Or he knows RDM won't win him the league and with teams like Newcastle, Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal getting better, RDM might even struggle to get a champs league spot again. Chelsea needs experience because the league's top teams are only getting better while the rest of the league stays mediocre.

RDM would be a better bet than some of the names already mentioned. But his stock is high now and if he does not stay with Chelsea in some capacity for next season he may well get other more tempting offers abroad. But if he really wanted to prove Abramovich wrong what better way than trying to make us into a top half team again (we might even get a couple of Chelsea rejects if we act quickly)?

I will be honest, I am not too keen on RDM personally, but not because I think he is a bad manager. I cannot believe how anyone can state that Lerner would mess up again if he was to appoint RDM. This is a man who has just won the Champions League with Chelsea for crying out loud. People will argue that Chelsea have a great squad, but this is an ageing Chelsea side which is definitely not as formidable as it once was. Ok, they still have match winners. But, Di Matteo deserves enormous plaudits for what he's done. When he took over from AVB, he had a squad that was dejected, deflated and low on confidence. He instantly instilled new found belief in the side. Maybe it is his Chelsea connections that has engaged the players to him so quickly and bought into his ethos on how to get the job done...Whatever it is, he has to be commended.

I personally don't want him because I believe we need a new, fresh, young manager who is just starting on the managerial ladder and is hungry to manager Aston Villa FC. RDM may fit into parts of that criteria, but he certainly has the biggest achievement in football under his belt now. Would he buy into a new and completely different project....I'm not so sure.

Agree diehardvillan, particularly on being young and hungry who is just starting on the managerial ladder. That's why OGS would've been perfect.

Oh by the way, anyone notice that Martinez is 1/100 on 32Red? Someone must've stuck a shit load of money on him tonight.

Agree diehardvillan, particularly on being young and hungry who is just starting on the managerial ladder. That's why OGS would've been perfect.

Oh by the way, anyone notice that Martinez is 1/100 on 32Red? Someone must've stuck a shit load of money on him tonight.

Looks like Liverpool are showing some ambition (something we are lacking) and going for Van Gaal instead.

so, with the Lambert thread locked I felt I needed to say something somewhat specifically to BOF, to whom I bow down in football knowledge in general, but with whom I disagreed about the qualifications of Lambert.

I could never eloquently put my feelings into words about why I felt he was not right, until tonight watching the US-Scotland friendly and looking at the juxtaposition of Bradley vs. Klinsman.

I feel like Lambert, like Bradley, is looking at the team behind him, thinking how can i be a bit better than them. This leads to excellent man management, great motivation, occasional tactical genius. All things to be admired.

Managers like AVB, Klinsman, others. maybe rogers, martinez, look at the teams one, two, several places ahead of them and think how can i be better than them. This leads to things like changing training, philosophy from the youth level, attitude, nutrition, etc. It leads to trying out players perhaps no one has considered before for a specific role, to do a certain thing well, not just be the most obvious candidate because the papers wrote that he was.

that is what worries me about a manager like Lambert. I think he has more flexibility than MON, and more tactical awareness, but he strikes me as someone who is keenly aware of what he has to do to just remain above expectations, rather than someone who is challenging for greatness.

I wrote a post that what I want from our next manager is a plan that utilizes every positive aspect of AVFC, which includes the academy and facilities. I do not see Lambert doing that. I see him ensuring that we move up a position in the table, or do not lose a position in the table, that we meet or slightatly exceed expectations.

I know that he has vastly exceeded expectations in the last few years with Norwich, and in his first year in the PL (though if any of the bottom teams, including us, performed at all he might have been in a relegation fight), but I think his way of managing, and his tactics, will be hard to replicate now, and certainly will be difficult to translate into CL challenging contention.

^ Although it's just your opinion, and therefore there's every possibility you're wrong, I think you've captured the difference between the two 'types' of manager that we could hire. For me, Houillier fitted your 'Klinsman' bracket and McLeish your 'Bradley'. I agree that MON also fitted the 'Bradley' bracket, although he was a very very competent example of it. I think the reason so many fans got behind OGS was not just the excitement of the risk, but was because the youtube video (and his background) seemed to suggest he fitted into the Klinsman bracket. I'll be happy as long as we appoint someone who, I can at least believe, similarly fits this bracket.

Excellent post by the way.

Di matteo will stay at Chelski and Martinez to Liverpool. So that leaves us AVB, Benitez, or Steve Bruce. AVB will likely go to a club with large transfer funds but I can see us getting Benitez if Randy really pushes for him.

Di matteo will stay at Chelski and Martinez to Liverpool. So that leaves us AVB, Benitez, or Steve Bruce. AVB will likely go to a club with large transfer funds but I can see us getting Benitez if Randy really pushes for him.

RA doesn't seem to attached to RDM....I think he wants another, more high profile manager.

I could see us landing RDM, to be honest.

Very strange that out of all the supposed candidates for the job the 2 the fans seem to be against are the 2 that have won the Champions League (Benitez and Di Matteo).

But somehow I think that is the right way to feel right now. Benitez would need money and with Di Matteo I really don't know what to expect.

I would be much more comfortable with Martinez, Lambert or Villas-Boas as these are managers with something to prove in the Premier League.

I honestly wouldn't touch Brendan Rogers. I just don't believe he is the mastermind behind what has happened to Swansea and would much prefer either of the 3 mentioned above.