Front Page: January Transfers

limpid

by Poise

For the first time in a good few years, we can really look forward to the January transfer window with smiles on our faces.

I was thinking earlier about possible signings we could look at in January now that we have been given a substantial amount of money thought to be between £15m and £20m to splash out on players. The important thing is to spend it wisely so that Martin O'Neill doesn't get off with a bad start of using Randy Lerner's millions. However, I trust that O'Neill will use it wisely.

We have 3 positions where I think we could strengthen :

Left back - Samuel and Bouma are too inconsistent and even though Barry is playing great in this position I feel he is wasted in a way as he brings a lot to the midfield.

Right back - Aaron Hughes is a good player but I think we can get better. Delaney is better but its a shame he is so injury prone!

Right midfield - Agbonlahor is playing tremendous out on the wing, but the time is going to come where he wants to play as an out and out striker, which is what he is. Lee Hendrie is our only other answer on the right flank so this position could do with an extra body to fill it.

So, possible signings for January :

Left back - Wayne Bridge. Brilliant player on his day, still better than JLloyd Samuel and Wilfried Bouma when it is not his day. Prooved whilst at Southampton that he can even give the England manager a headache and give Ashley Cole a run for his money for England's number 3 jersey. He Would cost around £4m - £5m.

Right back - Luke Young. I believe that we now have the money to give Charlton something to think about. I think Luke is a great right back for club and occasionally country. I think an offer in between £5m and £6m would tempt Charlton into selling.

Right midfield - I was thinking Shaun Wright-Phillips but I maybe being a little TOO optimistic lol. So we are probably more than likely going to sign our old friend James Milner. That is unless Newcastle bottle it at the last minute! He would cost around £4m.

So that would come to, all in all around £15m and I think it could proove to be £15m well spent. There maybe even a couple of million left to mess about with for O'Neill. However, we will have to wait and see what Martin O'Neill has up his sleeve.

Up The Villa!

January Transfers

For the first time in a good few years, we can really look forward to the January transfer window with smiles on our faces.

I was thinking earlier about possible signings we could look at in January now that we have been given a substantial amount of money thought to be between £15m and £20m to splash out on players. The important thing is to spend it wisely so that Martin O'Neill doesn't get off with a bad start of using Randy Lerner's millions. However, I trust that O'Neill will use it wisely.

We have 3 positions where I think we could strengthen :

Left back - Samuel and Bouma are too inconsistent and even though Barry is playing great in this position I feel he is wasted in a way as he brings a lot to the midfield.

Right back - Aaron Hughes is a good player but I think we can get better. Delaney is better but its a shame he is so injury prone!

Right midfield - Agbonlahor is playing tremendous out on the wing, but the time is going to come where he wants to play as an out and out striker, which is what he is. Lee Hendrie is our only other answer on the right flank so this position could do with an extra body to fill it.

So, possible signings for January :

Left back - Wayne Bridge. Brilliant player on his day, still better than JLloyd Samuel and Wilfried Bouma when it is not his day. Prooved whilst at Southampton that he can even give the England manager a headache and give Ashley Cole a run for his money for England's number 3 jersey. He Would cost around £4m - £5m.

Right back - Luke Young. I believe that we now have the money to give Charlton something to think about. I think Luke is a great right back for club and occasionally country. I think an offer in between £5m and £6m would tempt Charlton into selling.

Right midfield - I was thinking Shaun Wright-Phillips but I maybe being a little TOO optimistic lol. So we are probably more than likely going to sign our old friend James Milner. That is unless Newcastle bottle it at the last minute! He would cost around £4m.

So that would come to, all in all around £15m and I think it could proove to be £15m well spent. There maybe even a couple of million left to mess about with for O'Neill. However, we will have to wait and see what Martin O'Neill has up his sleeve.

Up The Villa!

Hm, why do the articles come up twice? :? Anyway, I disagree that left back is a position we urgently need to improve. Bouma will come good and solid, believe me. He was inconsistent last season, yes, as were at best the rest of the team too. When he gets free from injuries he'll be one of our most important players I think. I'd go with a new centtral midfielder instead. The targets themselves are good enough, I think. But why not look abroad?

right midfield and striker will be two positions i think we'll almost certainly see additions, with a fullback only coming in if the right player is available, because at full back Hughes is good enough to take us through to the summer, and samuel/ bouma will probably get their chance to prove themselves once fit as well, not forgetting whitts if necessary.

It'll almost certainly be Milner on the right and i expect a target man up front unless Sutton convincies MO'N he can do a job for the rest of the season. Don't really expect to see full backs unless especially good players are avaliable, we have 3 RBs (Hughes, Delaney and Agathe) and 3/4 LBs (Bouma, Samual, Barry, Whitts) so don't think it will be a priority.

I wouldn't be suprised at all if MON went for a player like Dean Ashton at the Hammers, or maybe Harewood, sombody who is strong, good in the air, maybe he'll even look abroad, I would imagine he'd sign sombody under 25 though...

I think his other signing would be a right winger, Milner I doubt, I think he would only have moved for Milner because he was already familiar with the Villa setup, maybe he'll make a play for SWP, and keep Milner in the back pocket as a back up?

we need a midfielder who gets stuck in and can distribute.

I may be bias.. but Vince Grella has been bloody awesome. Not sure if you guys saw the Paraguay friendly the other day but he was immense.. and he must have the best long ball game ive seen from a defensive mid. Superb player. plays at Parma i think captain now too.

Probably get him very cheap too.

• 2 weeks later...

i would love to see wayne bridge donw the villa but who i would really love to see is shaun wright phillips and it said in the paper that he wants to leave and spurs might be after them so we really need to try and get him he woould be amazing scoring in front of the hoult end .... :evil:

Â