Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

Press conference pretty boring and clichéd. Sorry I'm going to say this now, I'm not that excited about what essentially is MON lite. Houllier excited me. Lambert doesn't. Lambert's won nothing as a manager! Anyone not getting the misplaced hype?

I think the thing is that while most are excited by Lambert, there are many other factors helping to raise people's spirits as well. For one, we finally have a lot of the wasters off our wage bill and I expect we rid ourselves of a couple more this summer. This puts us in such a better financial position than when the board had no real oversight on the wage situation, which even though most do not agree, Faulkner deserves some credit for. Then there is the prospect that we appear to be willing to spend again as long as signings match a wage structure, which is completely understandable.

Also, we do have at least a half decent squad who should no chance in hell ever fight for relegation so the thought is that with a half decent manager, better results will follow. Add in the prospect of some exciting youth and there really is a reason to be positive right now.

While I do not EXPECT any cups or a top 6 finish next year, I believe we will be entertained and see a team which plays its heart out on the pitch for their manager and fans, which at the end of the day is something to look forward to. I am just looking forward to heading down to VP and not be content with drawing or accepting losses.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Glaswegian accents come, I would say his is very soft...certainly one of the easiest to understand that i have heard in some time.

I used to work for a guy from Perthshire...his accent was much worse than Paul Lambert's and like Alex Ferguson sometimes needed a

translator. Understood PL perfectly today.

Press conference pretty boring and clichéd. Sorry I'm going to say this now, I'm not that excited about what essentially is MON lite. Houllier excited me. Lambert doesn't. Lambert's won nothing as a manager! Anyone not getting the misplaced hype?

In 1974 we appointed Ron Saunders when there was talk of Brian Clough etc he wasn't even close in the fans poll in the Mail . His press conference was less than rivetting and so was he even though in our third game we won 6 1 . He hadn't won anything of note prior to joining Villa actually lost 2 league cup finals though . The rest is history give the bloke a chance

It wont take him long when he takes the first training session Wiz,any news on Hughton btw?

Still in talks Moorski, we're hearing here that'll he'll bring his own backroom team, plus one other from us....no idea who atm.

It wont take him long when he takes the first training session Wiz,any news on Hughton btw?

Still in talks Moorski, we're hearing here that'll he'll bring his own backroom team, plus one other from us....no idea who atm.

Wiz for what it's worth I really rate Hughton think he will be excellent for you ideal appointment and will steady the ship . Might surprise you even .

Sorry I'm just really anti-scottish when it comes to managers! I hate the way they say foooootball club I hate how they are all made out to be the next Fergie. For me they stain our League with boring and dour football. I know Lambert is apparently different but don't be expecting any Barca type stuff it's all MON crossing football. Norwich had the 3rd least possession in the league last season.

The most interesting thing he said in the presser was about people come-in he was pretty definite in saying he had players lined up he wanted to bring in. Now, who would these players be? Foreign flair? I doubt it. They are likely to be Ex-Norwich and lower division players I suspect. :(

I have a man crush on paul lambert. I have never been to scotland or been friends with a scottish person, which is probably why i have a soft spot for the country and the people.

He hasn`t made one attempt to lower expectation to make life easier for himself, instead he wants to try and match it, thats what we need. He is like o`neill, but more likeable and with tactics.

I love the man already.

Lets be friends

Ok.

Lambert press confernce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_p3P5ZPdq0

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2800804,00.html

Paul Lambert is ready to embrace the challenge of managing Villa - and "ignite the passion of the fans."

Lambert was officially unveiled as Villa boss this afternoon in the McGregor's Suite.

And he spelled out his ambitions for both the team and the supporters who cheer the lads on.

The 42-year-old is eager to "get the crowd going" and also see the players "perform with a hunger to succeed."

He said: "I'm very proud and honoured to be here as manager of Aston Villa, a club with a fantastic history and tradition.

"With the help of the players and the fans, I will do my very best to drive the club on.

"One of my first objectives will be to get the crowd going and to restore the good feeling back to the players so that they, in turn, can excite and ignite the passion and energy of our supporters.

"For me, it is imperative that the players are able to perform with a freedom and hunger and desire to succeed.

"Villa are one of the big clubs in the history of English football and this is a great challenge, one I am genuinely enthused to embrace.

"Any club that has won a European Cup, seven English league titles and the FA Cup seven times is going to retain a certain status and this is not something to shy away from.

"I have my own levels of expectancy which I am determined to try and meet and these will hopefully marry with Aston Villa as a club and especially with the expectations of the fans."

Houllier spoke like a winner.

Lambert spoke like it'll be good to get us in the top half of the table. MON getting us top 6 was apparently a "great achievement"

Yeah right - Houllier spoke like a winner -- saying we are a club that should aim for 8th - 12th! Instead Lambert bigs us up - We have won the European cup - he says it doesn't matter what decade it was in - we still won it - one of only 5! AND that teams spend hundred of millions and still don't win it. Just cos he didn't cream himself by stating he aims for top 4 - if he said that and didn't do it at the first attempt - he'd be shot down before he's even started.

No matter what some say - they are not going to dampen the spirit - seems others OUTSIDE of some of our own fans are sure Lambert will be a success.

Go ahead don't be excited and looking forward to the new path we are facing together. Most of us are and will enjoy it.

I bet there will be some on here just can't wait to lay into Lambert at the first opportunity. (Not aimed at a specific person)

Houllier spoke like a winner.

Lambert spoke like it'll be good to get us in the top half of the table. MON getting us top 6 was apparently a "great achievement"

Yeah right - Houllier spoke like a winner -- saying we are a club that should aim for 8th - 12th! Instead Lambert bigs us up - We have won the European cup - he says it doesn't matter what decade it was in - we still won it - one of only 5! AND that teams spend hundred of millions and still don't win it.

Indeed, i thought supernovas comment was a bit strange, maybe he is listening to the scottish accent and not the words.

Still, if thats his opinion fair enough.

Me, i haven`t been this excited since the day MON got mobbed on the car park.

Houllier was right in everything he said about us being a mid-table club at that time. He know what was required to change it. He was going to change it. Houllier was more exciting he wasn't interested in getting us high to mid-table he wanted to win the league with us, such was his ambition.

Although Lambert claims to be ambitious he doesn't convince me he's anymore more than say a MON. Moderately successful but limited football. You can tell from that press conference PF will be happy with a top half finish and playing good football to get the crowds back, and I don't doubt that's what Lambert will bring. But me, like Houllier, am more ambitious than that and would want to be setting my sights much higher.

I found that 'Houllier spoke like a winner'-comment quite funny too. Houllier who said there was no way we could beat City (when we had beaten them just weeks before) and was happy to lose to Liverpool. Yeah, that was a real winner.

Lambert>Houllier>McLeish

Sorry I'm just really anti-scottish when it comes to managers! I hate the way they say foooootball club I hate how they are all made out to be the next Fergie. For me they stain our League with boring and dour football. I know Lambert is apparently different but don't be expecting any Barca type stuff it's all MON crossing football. Norwich had the 3rd least possession in the league last season.

The most interesting thing he said in the presser was about people come-in he was pretty definite in saying he had players lined up he wanted to bring in. Now, who would these players be? Foreign flair? I doubt it. They are likely to be Ex-Norwich and lower division players I suspect. :(

Most likely. Players he was after at norwich. There ain't enough quality in lower leagues to make an impact in our squad.

Houllier was right in everything he said about us being a mid-table club at that time. He know what was required to change it. He was going to change it. Houllier was more exciting he wasn't interested in getting us high to mid-table he wanted to win the league with us, such was his ambition.

Although Lambert claims to be ambitious he doesn't convince me he's anymore more than say a MON. Moderately successful but limited football. You can tell from that press conference PF will be happy with a top half finish and playing good football to get the crowds back, and I don't doubt that's what Lambert will bring. But me, like Houllier, am more ambitious than that and would want to be setting my sights much higher.

Houllier said he had always considered us a mid-table club, not just 'at the time'.