Champions League Semi Finals

andykeenan

Fully agree on that. If a yellow can result in a ban and a yellow (just like a red) can be given in error then there is absolutely no reason why a yellow should not be rescindable after the event. None.

Except for one....

The one and only reason that yellow cards can't be appealed or over turned is that the number of poor or questionable decisions made by refs for bookings would see the games ruling bodies facing an administrative nightmare with clubs appealing countless bookings. It would serious undermine the refs as well.

Fully agree on that. If a yellow can result in a ban and a yellow (just like a red) can be given in error then there is absolutely no reason why a yellow should not be rescindable after the event. None.

Except for one....

The one and only reason that yellow cards can't be appealed or over turned is that the number of poor or questionable decisions made by refs for bookings would see the games ruling bodies facing an administrative nightmare with clubs appealing countless bookings. It would serious undermine the refs as well.

You've a point there. An easy enough tweak to that would be a yellow that directly results in a ban i.e. the final one in the sequence. That would have to be a legitimate yellow. The others, as is currently the case, would not be 'negotiable' and would continue as is, but the one that bans you can be.

On the undermining of refs, the game is about to take a leap into the 21st century with video technology so it is probably as timely as it'll ever be 'while the iron is hot' to at least look at ways of further improving the quality of decisions and the whole protocol around cards etc. Even if it's to rule stuff out. It'd be worth having that discussion while people are of a mind to do so. After all, referees don't want to go home at the end of the day thinking they've ruined a team's chances at something.

Know your limits (Master Wayne) and don't rely on fouling your way to the final.

I think this is one reason where I feel 2 yellows to miss the Final is somewhat understandable. Otherwise you could have a team play Barca in the SFs and literally take it in turns both legs kicking the crap out of Messi all game long.

Otherwise you could have a team play Barca in the SFs and literally take it in turns both legs kicking the crap out of Messi all game long.

Egg, Zaktly. Change the rules (or set them in stone) and teams will exploit them.

The rules were changed for the world cup so no players would be suspended from the final and Spain didn't get kicked all semi final.

I think it will be changed next season and I don't think you will notice much difference.

Â