SPECULATION: Marian Kello (ex-Hearts)

Bane17

Can't see a topic on this but it's been posted on Sky Sports, Birmingham Mail etc... that he has been offered a trial on the chance that Guzan does not sign a new deal.

Now admittedly I don't know anything about this guy, but from what I've just read he was in good form earlier this year but got dropped for 'political issues'.

Whilst I like Brad and think he's a good keeper at a good age, this guy might not be such a bad backup to Given. Thoughts?

Transcript from Sky Sports:

Sky Sports understands that Marian Kello is due in Birmingham this weekend to conclude a pre-contract with Aston Villa.

Villa have been linked with a move for the Slovakian in recent weeks and, following his release by Hearts last week, he is now set to agree terms.

A number of English clubs have been looking at the 29-year-old, but Villa have made their move and look set to conclude a deal for his services.

Kello is now due at Villa this weekend to hold talks with the club, with a view to signing a pre-contract ahead of a summer move.

Kello had been with Hearts since 2008, when he joined from their feeder club FBK Kaunas, and he played over 70 games for the Edinburgh outfit.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7666054/

*** First post so hopefully I've done it right ***

Nicely done ;)

Mat Kendrick was on twitter saying we're offering him a trial as opposed to (or maybe in preparation of) a deal.

General concensus being that it's bye bye to baby Brad. Which is a shame really. I guess he's too good to be sitting on our bench.

I think Guzan would be well worth keeping.

However by all accounts he's on fair bit of cash (25k someone said?) which does seem a lot for someone to sit on bench.

Heard Scottish people say good things about this guy so if he can be half decent and come in on threepence ha'penny - give us more wage money to spend on first team players then overall I'm in favour could be a good bit of "trading carefully".

Of course he could be shite so who knows...

Don't know anything about him.

But glad we're looking at options so early if Brad is to go.

As I've said elsewhere, we have no chance of keeping Guzan.

He's too good to sit on our bench, but not good enough to be in the team ahead of Given.

Unless we offered him stupid money which we can't and won't, he'll be gone.

Best for both parties I think.

Don't know anything about him.

But glad we're looking at options so early if Brad is to go.

As I've said elsewhere, we have no chance of keeping Guzan.

He's too good to sit on our bench, but not good enough to be in the team ahead of Given.

Unless we offered him stupid money which we can't and won't, he'll be gone.

Best for both parties I think.

That about covers that.

I think Guzan would be well worth keeping.

However by all accounts he's on fair bit of cash (25k someone said?) which does seem a lot for someone to sit on bench.

Heard Scottish people say good things about this guy so if he can be half decent and come in on threepence ha'penny - give us more wage money to spend on first team players then overall I'm in favour could be a good bit of "trading carefully".

Of course he could be shite so who knows...

guzan is not on 25k but i heard that is what his agent was looking for in a new contract? I think guzan should be kept. id rather get rid of given. he is on twice as much which id ridiculous for someone that gets injured when he kicks the ball, has no command of the penalty area and flaps at crosses.

The old "Given is injury prone" myth

He was injured this season, He was injured last season, he was injured the season before that.

Regardless of his injuries the fact is he is not a brilliant keeper. i would have no problem with guzan being number one. i don't think there is much difference in them apart from 25k per week

He was injured this season, He was injured last season, he was injured the season before that.

Regardless of his injuries the fact is he is not a brilliant keeper. i would have no problem with guzan being number one. i don't think there is much difference in them apart from 25k per week

Maybe he meant myth in the McLeish sense, i.e blatant fact. 8)

To be fair Givens shoulder has not been the issue I thought it would be this season and thank god for that.

Was he injured last season? I don't think he was. He just wasn't in the team because he was behind arguably the best keeper in the country.

The season before that was his one large injury that he's had in his career.

I can't be bothered to find the stats now, but if you look at Given's appearances throughout his career, it's very impressive.

To be fair that isn't really a myth he is.

Appearances in the league since 2002

01/02 - 38

02/03 - 38

03/04 - 38

04/05 - 36

05/06 - 38

06/07 - 22

07/08 - 19

08/09 - 37

09/10 - 35

10/11 - 0

Notes: His big injury spanned the end of 06/07 and the start of 07/08, which is why those season have low appearances.

10/11 was when he was behind Hart at City.

So, excluding the tim ehe was second choice, which I think is fair because that's not due to injury, in only TWO season has he had less than 35 appearances out of 38 in the league. And they were due to the same injury.

Guzan goes, and we bring in this lad who can't even get in to the Hearts side? And this is stengthening the squad? Oh dear.

I could be way off the mark here but I think his contract was due to expire at the end of this season. Throughout this season he had been number 1 and Hearts received an offer for him which they accepted. Kello turned this down and as a result was alienated by the club.

/my2cents

So, excluding the tim ehe was second choice, which I think is fair because that's not due to injury, in only TWO season has he had less than 35 appearances out of 38 in the league. And they were due to the same injury.

I'm not saying he has been injury prone throughout his career, he isn't a sicknote in that sense. I'm talking specifically about the here and now and to me at least he seems injury prone.

I'm not saying he has been injury prone throughout his career, he isn't a sicknote in that sense. I'm talking specifically about the here and now and to me at least he seems injury prone.

Not saying you shouldn't think that, but can I ask why?

He's had one injury with us, and it was just from overstretching which could happen to anyone.

Wonder what the political issues were?

Guzan will be a great signing for someone, like Howard and Friedel have been before him. He was really shoddily treated by McLeish this season when Given went straight back into the team. For all McLeish's talk of dropping people who make errors he refused to do it with Given.

Guzan will be a great signing for someone, like Howard and Friedel have been before him. He was really shoddily treated by McLeish this season when Given went straight back into the team.

I don't agree with this at all.

I hate McLeish as much as the next guy. But Given coming back into the team once he was fit was perfectly acceptable.

Given had done nothing wrong when he got injured. To not bring him back in to the team would have been saying to him and others "Don't get injured, or you'll lose your place"

Given hasn't been perfect, of course not. he has weaknesses. BUt I don't think he's done anything this season to justify dropping him.

Â