Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

5 or 6 players of the quality of Petrov, does not equate to 5 or 6 players the price of Petrov

Nobody has said its a fact. But it may very well be just that. How can you say 5-6 players of Petrov's ability doesnt equate to 5-6 times the price of Petrov?

Actually you dont know, its very possible.

Its the assumption that you yourself made in saying we had £30-40mil to spend in Jan, Its not what MON said at all

Because price and ability are not equal, there too many other factors involved

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On page 16 of the "Strong rumour: Bardsley" thread, you were complaining about the deal and said "Wonder if this is a hint of our ambition."

Now, when O'Neill comes out and reassures the fans that he shares our ambitions and is ideally looking to bring in a number of quality signings as well, you complain that it's "silly" of him to do so.

Doesn't that seem a little petulant?

Why? The only thing he has succeded to do so far, is bringing the excitement and expectations up by talking. Along with his brilliant action of a Man Utd youngster on loan, who's only experience is reserve footy.

If you cant do the walk, dont do the talk. Very simple.

5 or 6 players of the quality of Petrov, does not equate to 5 or 6 players the price of Petrov

Nobody has said its a fact. But it may very well be just that. How can you say 5-6 players of Petrov's ability doesnt equate to 5-6 times the price of Petrov?

Actually you dont know, its very possible.

Its the assumption that you yourself made in saying we had £30-40mil to spend in Jan, Its not what MON said at all

Because price and ability are not equal, there too many other factors involved

I made a rough estimated number, which is highly possible. Its backed by the prices from the current transfer market.

Wether you like the factors or not, my theory holds water.

I dont think people should obsess about figures. I only said it could be reasoned that we'd spend x amount based on what MON has said. MON in that article also said that would be a lot of money.

I dont really think that Randy and the business end of IMG are here to fanny around, therfore it is my opinion that we CAN spend large amounts of money but the determining factors are getting the right player for the right price within reason (we'll have to pay a bit over the odds as to be expected) and also whether those players are obtainable.

You can throw money at a player or club and they still dont have to agree to come. Thats nobodies fault.

I believe that next week will be our crunch week for several reasons. None of which I'll bore you with.

On page 16 of the "Strong rumour: Bardsley" thread, you were complaining about the deal and said "Wonder if this is a hint of our ambition."

Now, when O'Neill comes out and reassures the fans that he shares our ambitions and is ideally looking to bring in a number of quality signings as well, you complain that it's "silly" of him to do so.

Doesn't that seem a little petulant?

Why? The only thing he has succeded to do so far, is bringing the excitement and expectations up by talking. Along with his brilliant action of a Man Utd youngster on loan, who's only experience is reserve footy.

If you cant do the walk, dont do the talk. Very simple.

But we don't know yet what O'Neill will or will not be able to achieve. If he kept his mouth shut all the way through the transfer window, I think it would be disastrous PR. Fans are hungry to know who we're looking at and what chance we have of getting them - and in the absence of that information, they want to know what our ambitions are.

You have taken the Bardsley loan signing as evidence that O'Neill's ambitions do not match ours - his comments about bringing in five Petrov-esque players were intended to assuage those fears. Rather than taking them at face value, you just slate him for not being able to deliver.

Even a kid at Christmas would have sense enough to actually open all his presents before he complained about not getting the ones he wanted. You don't even seem able to do that!

If i got a Christmas present i had to hand back after 2 weeks use, i wouldnt bother opening it. You are quite correct.

Though come to think of it, there are some exceptions :)

If i got a Christmas present i had to hand back after 2 weeks use, i wouldnt bother opening it. You are quite correct.

To keep the analogy going, do you know at this stage what other presents you're going to get?

The Browns alone are worth something like 800m. So that figure doesnt include all his assets. Not even close.

I'm just saying that those figures are not a true reflection on just how rich people actually are.

As for your other points Grant. Well, its all subjective isnt it?

I cant believe MON would waste his time dreaming about what Villa need in a time when supporters and media are over sensitive. If anything, the chances are he'll be understating matters.

I dont understand how his worth was calculated at £800million then as it certainly wont be his 'cash' figure as people simply dont have 'cash' in that sense. Are the Browns worth 800 million dollars or pounds?

Agree some of the other stuff is subjective, sadly I think that those who interpret it one way are building themselves up to a disappointment. I just feel that they should bear in mind that there were other ways to interpret it and therefore if it transpires that we dont spend huge sums that perhaps, just perhaps, they were wrong.

Luckily if it turns out that i'm wrong then i wont care as Villa will have spent a load of cash :D

No offence people there is an awful lot of bickering on here . I thought this was a rumours and suggestion topic .

I havent read a suggestion or a rumour on here for about 3 pages

Good point. Perhaps a "Jan transfer window bickering" thread would be a smart move!

To keep the analogy going, do you know at this stage what other presents you're going to get?

Nope which is why ive said, now for the fourth time (?)

we we'll see in time.

Cheerio, time for work.

No offence people there is an awful lot of bickering on here . I thought this was a rumours and suggestion topic .

I havent read a suggestion or a rumour on here for about 3 pages

I suggested Vinny Jones on the previous page.

HEHE , good one though he still seems to have alot of energy , see the way he runs round the wood in that RAC advert :winkold:

If you go back to that article where he says he wants to bring in 5 Petrov-quality players you need to read the whole thing - because he goes on to basically play down expectations by saying it might not be possible, but he will try his best. So he can't win - he's raising expectations by saying what he wants to do, but others will say he's too negative by saying 'oh, but it might not happen'.

This isnt bickering its a debate. And a pretty good one at that.

Its better than reading some bogus article some hack has dreamed up and then reading "he wont come here" for the millionth time.

I reckon anyway.

If you go back to that article where he says he wants to bring in 5 Petrov-quality players you need to read the whole thing - because he goes on to basically play down expectations by saying it might not be possible, but he will try his best. So he can't win - he's raising expectations by saying what he wants to do, but others will say he's too negative by saying 'oh, but it might not happen'.

I think he comes across as refreshingly candid and honest. He's shrewd and tight-lipped when he needs to be but not when there's no necessity. He certainly perked me up and boosted my morale with that 4 or 5 Petrovs comment. He understands the fans frustration, fears and desires. He probably shares them and him and his superiors are seeking to right the years of neglect that crept into the corridors of Villa Park.