OnePablo

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lerner is a business-man.

He knows how to accumulate money somehow. This club will NOT go forward unless

heavy investments are made in the player department, any he knows this. Our current

squad is filled with players not good enough and other suffering from this having to

play alongside many of them, Petrov one of them.

Does anyone believe we've already got a name or 2 in for sure but not publically announced?

honestly yess I do.

I suppose the idea is to see who is getting dropped from their teams as December makes its course.

Or who gives emotional applause to the fans at the end of December.

Amazing, we are on the up and have millions to spend, yet people rave

about average Championship-players. What are your ambitions?

Gera, Koumas etc.... players who would never play for Everton and West Ham.

Randy Lerner has millions to spend. It shouldn't be automatically assumed that Villa have millions to spend.

I'd be very suprised if we spent more than £40 million from january till the start of the next season.

Randy hasn't got money that expandable, with a fortune of around 800 million, minus the club purchase it soon starts eating away.

I'd say Randy has set asside an initial £100 to £200 million to spend on the club to get it turned around (including the purchase)

You think Lerner would be happy to see a quarter of his personal fortune spent on Villa? If he's envisaging that amount of initial outlay, how long would it be before he could expect to see a return on his investment? Even if we post profits of £20m a season for ten seasons, with all of that cash flowing into Lerner's account, he'd still only be breaking even. He'd get a better return on investment by leaving the money in a current account!

My assumption has always been that, after this coming window, our new management will be hoping to fund everything else from some hefty long-term sponsorship deals, increased TV money, higher league finishes and higher gates. At the time of the merger, I guessed that Lerner might be willing to spend a further £30 million of his own money to get the ball rolling - I still think that figure will prove about right.

One thing you aren't taking into account in this summation is the club value. If he gets us to a position where we are posting profits of £20 million + then I think the club would be valued in the hundreds of millions which would ensure he sees a return on his investment.

Randy Lerner has millions to spend. It shouldn't be automatically assumed that Villa have millions to spend.

I'd be very suprised if we spent more than £40 million from january till the start of the next season.

Randy hasn't got money that expandable, with a fortune of around 800 million, minus the club purchase it soon starts eating away.

I'd say Randy has set asside an initial £100 to £200 million to spend on the club to get it turned around (including the purchase)

You think Lerner would be happy to see a quarter of his personal fortune spent on Villa? If he's envisaging that amount of initial outlay, how long would it be before he could expect to see a return on his investment? Even if we post profits of £20m a season for ten seasons, with all of that cash flowing into Lerner's account, he'd still only be breaking even. He'd get a better return on investment by leaving the money in a current account!

My assumption has always been that, after this coming window, our new management will be hoping to fund everything else from some hefty long-term sponsorship deals, increased TV money, higher league finishes and higher gates. At the time of the merger, I guessed that Lerner might be willing to spend a further £30 million of his own money to get the ball rolling - I still think that figure will prove about right.

One thing you aren't taking into account in this summation is the club value. If he gets us to a position where we are posting profits of £20 million + then I think the club would be valued in the hundreds of millions which would ensure he sees a return on his investment.

Exactly. The money he used to pay for the club has been converted to an asset, which is the club itself from an economic point of view. Plus, if we are making $20 Mil a season and Lerner wanted to sell the club he could sell if for absolutely bucketloads.

The money he paid for the club isn't just gone, it's just been converted into an asset for now, hopefully one which gains some significant value.

Only if he sells.

I'd agree that the simplest way to earn a decent return on the £70 million-or-so that Randy has spent so far would be to turn the club into one with a higher valuation. But the poster I was replying to had suggested that Lerner might pump in up to £200m of his own money - and that just seems way out to me. In order to recoup that outlay, Villa would either have to be raking in huge profit on a consistent basis or Lerner would need to turn us into a club that was worth, say £300m. I don't see either of those things happening, frankly - at least, not within the kind of time-frame that would make it a good investment.

Exactly. The money he used to pay for the club has been converted to an asset, which is the club itself from an economic point of view. Plus, if we are making $20 Mil a season and Lerner wanted to sell the club he could sell if for absolutely bucketloads.

The money he paid for the club isn't just gone, it's just been converted into an asset for now, hopefully one which gains some significant value.

Right - but how likely is it that Villa could turn profits of £20m year in and year out? I was using that figure to illustrate how difficult it would be to earn back a £200m investment. Only Man Utd consistently earn big double-digit profits. I think Liverpool posted profit of £7m last year.

I completely agree Faust, I can see the club gaining a value close to £300 million in the medium to long term future i.e. 5 to 10 years but we would need sustained profit making/growth for a few years to acheive that. I think over that period of time, Randy may pump in over £100 million of his own money but only at a steady rate i.e. £20 million per season (with prize money etc... also being used for team and facilities improvement).

i just can understand why anyone wants beckham at villa ????????????????????????

Assuming you mean can't...

He is a gun player, a big name who will sell heaps of shirts and bring a lot of media attention to the club, he will also potentially attract more big name players.

But I would take him just on ability.

i just can understand why anyone wants beckham at villa ????????????????????????

Assuming you mean can't...

He is a gun player, a big name who will sell heaps of shirts and bring a lot of media attention to the club, he will also potentially attract more big name players.

But I would take him just on ability.

I had a feeling he was asking a question.

I think if anyone expects a few big money moves in Jan they are going to be disappointed.

And i quote our chief scout.

"January is not the best time to do business. I wish we could go back to the old system where you could wheel and deal throughout the season up until the end of March.

I am not saying me might not spend say 15mil but on 3, 5mill players for example.

I doubt 2, 10mill type players will be coming because clubs don't want to get rid in the middle of the season. :(

I think if anyone expects a few big money moves in Jan they are going to be disappointed.

And i quote our chief scout.

"January is not the best time to do business. I wish we could go back to the old system where you could wheel and deal throughout the season up until the end of March.

I am not saying me might not spend say 15mil but on 3, 5mill players for example.

I doubt 2, 10mill type players will be coming because clubs don't want to get rid in the middle of the season. :(

The equation is not always so simple.

A club may need an injection of cash, a player might be so pissed off at a club that it is better he moved on etc. (Reo-Coker)

It will be tricky to get top players, trickier than the summer - but I wouldnt rule anything out TBH

Well would you look at that, perhaps i wasn't so stupid to suggest that not all players will just up and leave a Championship club :wink:

Nugent warns off chasing pack

Dec 11 2006

By Colin Tattum, Birmingham Mail

DAVID Nugent today disappointed Villa, Blues and a host of other interested clubs by declaring he wants to stay at Preston North End "at the very least" until the end of the season.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill and chief scout Ian Storey-Moore were at St Andrew's on Saturday to watch the £6 million-rated striker against Blues.

Middlesbrough and Portsmouth are also keen on Nugent, and Blues boss Steve Bruce would love to bolster his ranks with the England under-21 star.

Nugent, who has 18 months left on his current contract, said: "I like the speculation. Don't get me wrong. It's nice to see your name in the paper - but I'm a Preston player.

"We are fourth in the league. The last couple of years we have got into the play-offs and have come so close to going up. I want to stay here and try and get us in the Premiership.

"In an ideal world I'd like to stay at Preston. If the chairman and the manager get offers, they will either reject them or accept them.

"But I'm happy at Preston and want to get them to the Premiership. At the very least I'd like to stop to the end of the season - at the very least."

Nugent added: "Matthew Upson at Birmingham is in a similar position to me. He is out of contract in 18 months. Premier League clubs are targeting him.

"He is a big player. He has been capped for England. He is a massive player for their club.

"He said if nothing happens in January he might have to leave at the end of the season if Birmingham don't go up. It might be the same with me."

Nugent spurned two golden opportunities in Blues' 3-1 victory that kept them top of the Championship.

He admitted: "I've had two chances where I should have scored. In the changing room the lads were absolutely gutted that we lost the game because the performance was top class but the result didn't go our way.

"We've been playing like that for most of the season. There have been two or three games where we haven't played to our potential but we did against Birmingham and were the better side.

"I had two chances, Brett Ormerod had one. Birmingham have got quality players and they will punish you if you don't take them."

Clicky

Roughly translated, Nugent meant.

"In all honesty I'd much rather be playing for a big club in the Premiership. But I'd better say nice things about my current club in case the big club don't manage to agree a deal in January... Coz I'm clever like that... and my agent told me to."

James Milner said much the same thing the other week.