Spectacles

irreverentad

I wear glasses for work, driving, computer etc.....

But I have a few questions for any fellow bespectacled or even non-bespecticaled comrades...

1) How often should you have your eyes tested? It has been 3 years for me. Is that about right?

2) Does anyone else like me end up buying glasses that make them think they look 'intelligent and whimsical' but realising a couple of weeks later that they look like a douchebag? Or do you play it safe?

3) Do you use the large chains? eg specsaver, Vision Express?

Cheers

I really need to get my eyes sorted I'm blind as a bat

I actually have a pair of binoculars that are shaped like penguins on my desk so that I can see the whiteboard in the office

really am blind

I'm gunna get them done in the next few weeks, taking a bird with me to pick out some specs so that I dont look like a fool

I really need to get my eyes sorted I'm blind as a bat

I actually have a pair of binoculars that are shaped like penguins on my desk so that I can see the whiteboard in the office

really am blind

I'm gunna get them done in the next few weeks, taking a bird with me to pick out some specs so that I dont look like a fool

It depends on the bird you take. Is she the type of girl who will try to make you look like Gok Wan?

Gok Wan

He looks Chinese, I'm surprised he's mixed race.

Back on-topic, why should you get your eyes tested if you can see perfectly well, doesn't make any sense!

Gok Wan

He looks Chinese, I'm surprised he's mixed race.

Back on-topic, why should you get your eyes tested if you can see perfectly well, doesn't make any sense!

I can't. My vision while driving at night has detiriorated over the last 6 months and colours are no longer sharp.

Then get it tested straight away, no point making life hard for yourself. Serious.

Don't worry Legov. I am booked in at 11:25 tomorrow at Specsavers in Bolton.

I have left it until there is 'significant detirioration'. If I went as soon as the colours faded a bit I would be in and out every 6 months!

I used to have mine checked every year but mainly as I wore contact lenses and they offer it "free "as part of the disposable lenses plan

but having had the eye surgery about 4 years ago I'd say without hesitation go have it done .... lot of outlay but if you factor in costs of glasses + contacts then in the long term you should be quids in

Then get it tested straight away, no point making life hard for yourself. Serious.

I have left it until there is 'significant detirioration'. If I went as soon as the colours faded a bit I would be in and out every 6 months!

Worry? :lol:

Just my two cents that's all, VT keeps me happy.

Bitch! I thought you cared...... :cry:

Make sure to have the anti glare (or whatever it's called in eeeenglish) treatment on them. I tried without once and it's annoying as hell with the light reflections everywhere.

1) How often should you have your eyes tested? It has been 3 years for me. Is that about right?

2) Does anyone else like me end up buying glasses that make them think they look 'intelligent and whimsical' but realising a couple of weeks later that they look like a douchebag? Or do you play it safe?

3) Do you use the large chains? eg specsaver, Vision Express?

1) you should have them tested once a year.

2) No. i buy glasses that suit my face.

3) Yes, specsavers because its convenient.

Bitch! I thought you cared...... :cry:

:lol:

I assume I'll need glasses sooner or later.

Both my parents and both my sisters have (or should have) glasses for reading at least.

But I haven't had mine tested in years. Probably should (although I've noticed no deterioration thus far)

Both my parents and both my sisters have (or should have) glasses for reading at least.

But I haven't had mine tested in years. Probably should (although I've noticed no deterioration thus far)

Never really understood why myopia rates are so much higher in Asia (particularly Singapore) than Europe or America, it's not like we're the only ones watching TV and taking w-anks in front of the computer all day, surely the Americans are the masters of that :D

Never really understood why myopia rates are so much higher in Asia (particularly Singapore) than Europe or America, it's not like we're the only ones watching TV and taking w-anks in front of the computer all day, surely the Americans are the masters of that :D

I am a plucky Brit! I would take them on.........so to speak

In some parts of Asia, myopia is the norm.

Singapore is believed to have the highest prevalence of myopia in the world; up to 80 percent of people there have myopia. But the accurate figure is unknown.

Education and IQ

A number of studies have shown the incidence of myopia increases with level of education, and many studies have shown a correlation between myopia and a higher intelligence quotient (IQ).

A 2008 literature review writes that studies in several nations have found a relationship between myopia and higher IQ and between myopia and school achievement. A common explanation for myopia is near-work. Regarding the relationship to IQ, several explanations have been proposed. One is that the myopic child is better adapted at reading, and reads and studies more, which increases intelligence. The reverse explanation is that the intelligent and studious child reads more, which causes myopia. Another is that myopic children have an advantage at IQ testing which is near-work because of less eye strain. Still another explanation is that pleiotropic gene(s) affect the size of both brain and eyes simultaneously. According to the two most recent studies, higher IQ may be associated with myopia in schoolchildren, independent of books read per week.

Other personal characteristics, such as value systems, school achievements, time spent in reading for pleasure, language abilities and time spent in sport activities correlated to the occurrence of myopia in studies

Other risk factors

Heredity appears as an important factor associated with juvenile myopia, with smaller contributions from more near work, higher school achievement and less time in sports activity.

Wikipedia

Wear a pair, according to Mooney it makes you smart ;)

Little known fact - I wear spectacles that are a stunning -9.00 dioptres. Even by Singaporean standards those are incredibly thick spectacles.

I must be Einstein reborn.

Â