London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

Hindes has just said in the post interviews that he deliberately fell off in the heat after the start because he didn't feel he'd started well and wanted to get a restart.

Interesting, given the thread of conversation for the past couple of days

He was joking. As he said it his team mates were laughing but then looked as I felt - 'What if people watching don't get the joke?' :shock:

It certainly didn't seem like he was joking. I saw Hoy smiling, but it seemed to me like he was nervously laughing it up whilst thinking "shut the **** up"

I don't care. We won.

But I don't think he was joking.

Came to post exactly that, no way was he joking, and CH was desperately trying to get eye contact with him to give the look of "shut the f**k up"!! I think if this gets officially challenged then they may get stripped of the medals.

Seems like someone had a quiet word in his ear a bit later on and he Changed his tune

Well dodgy, they should have been booted out.

What is the difference between throwing your gold medal run to get a 2nd go and a better time next time around and throwing your badminton match to get a better opponent next time around?

His team have obviously had a word to him and he has changed his story now.

What is the difference between throwing your gold medal run to get a 2nd go and a better time next time around and throwing your badminton match to get a better opponent next time around?

His team have obviously had a word to him and he has changed his story now.

This kind of "cheating" will happen in a lot of sports.

IMO they badmington players should not have been disqualified, even though they were not playing in the spirit of the games. But this has been talked to death already.

I sadly concur with this.

Foolish thing to say in his interview. He'd got away with it, so keep schtum.

They could surely be investigated and disqualified (but they won't IMO).

Lack of knowledge on the rules here.

The rules are quite simple and straightforward in that if a mechanical failure occurs a restart can be requested from the team that happens to. You see Chris Hoy raise his hand as soon as it becomes apparent. This is not like the Badminton at all

Still really annoyed with the whole ticketing side of things. I put bids in three times early last year for tickets to the USA basketball, basketball final, rowing and final two days of the athletics. I ended up with none. It won't change my life but I would have liked to see those things live. Better angles and such on TV to be honest, yet I would have liked the experience.

They have cocked up big time...

The rules are quite simple and straightforward in that if a mechanical failure occurs a restart can be requested from the team that happens to. You see Chris Hoy raise his hand as soon as it becomes apparent. This is not like the Badminton at all

But it wasn't a mechanical fault.

Hindes said in the interview that he fell off deliberately to get a restart.

And the point is that he admitted it wasn't a mechanical failure.

He said he had made a bad start so he deliberately crashed to get a restart. He said it was a tactic the team had discussed in the lead up to the event and that he put it into practice yesterday.

OK the rules as they have been explained

The race can be restarted if there is a crash or if there is mechanical failure. They had a crash, his footstrap was also loose. To compare it to the badminton is like comparing chalk and cheese. One broke a rule the other one was as a result of a rule.

athetletics has to start when everyone is at work! how lame

should be starting tomorrow in my opinion

It can't. There is not enough time - what about all of the events next week in the day?

Lack of knowledge of the interview from Dratly!

No mechanical fault = should in theory have been disqualifed (or their results should have stood, and they'd have been eliminated legitimately on time).

This is far worse than the badminton IMO.

And the point is that he admitted it wasn't a mechanical failure.

He said he had made a bad start so he deliberately crashed to get a restart. He said it was a tactic the team had discussed in the lead up to the event and that he put it into practice yesterday.

It seems that looking around (and from here :-) ) that the biggest ones commenting about this are the whinging Ozzies :-)

Restarting the race occurs often it seems, so this is not even anything new. It's people trying their hardest and failing to try and put a negative spin on to a GB triumph, especially when teams like France and Australia were completely whoooped :-)

The race can be restarted if there is a crash or if there is mechanical failure. They had a crash, his footstrap was also loose. To compare it to the badminton is like comparing chalk and cheese. One broke a rule the other one was as a result of a rule.

I agree it's not the same as the badminton.

But as I understood it (and I could be wrong) you only get a restart if your crash is a result of a mechanical failure.

Seeing as Hindes admitted that it wasn't because of a mechanical failure, I see that as "dodgy" to say the least, even if he has taken advantage of a loophole rather than actually broken a rule.

Frankly, that's British biased bollocks Ian.

There was no mechanical failure. The guy **** his start up, and then decided to 'fall off' rather than see his team eliminated for a poor time.

He then admitted it post race.

No mechanical fault = should in theory have been disqualifed (or their results should have stood, and they'd have been eliminated legitimately on time).

Jon sorry but you are not right at all there, IMO.

As said the race can, and often is so it seems restarted, because of a crash and / or mechanical failure. The rules allow for that quite simply. If there had been any break in the rules as the women found out the judges would have thrown them out.

To try and compare to the Badminton team is wrong. That was braking the rules. The GB team restarted the race as a result of a rule, totally different ends of the spectrum. The judges has the discretion to restart or not and they were happy

No, it isn't worse than the badminton and it's funny how quickly you've changed your tune on this whole thing when you were so adamant that the badminton decision was wrong.

This was actually a mechanical failure. Sure you can interpret the interview however you want and say that he meant for it to happen. There is no solid proof that this was the case though. Whereas in the badminton it was bloody obvious and was much worse as they might aswell have broadcast what they were doing.

If the GB team did do it on purpose then they should have been disqualified. Yet it would be very difficult to prove that it was done on purpose at the end of the day. The badminton was worse in my opinion...

I agree it's not the same as the badminton.

But as I understood it (and I could be wrong) you only get a restart if your crash is a result of a mechanical failure.

Seeing as Hindes admitted that it wasn't because of a mechanical failure, I see that as "dodgy" to say the least, even if he has taken advantage of a loophole rather than actually broken a rule.

Nah, don't backtrack Ben. They did, in effect, cheat to get a restart. Fantastic gold in the end, but the video evidence plus Hines's words should not be forgotten.

Â