Relegation - Merged

Amo69

Im amazed at how many people seem to be ignoring the players we have available at the minute when predicting the relegation run in.

Bolton, Sunderland, Norwich, Stoke, and West Brom - are winnable games - with a squad!! We have nearly our full first team out.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That 9th place finish papered over a lot of cracks.

After a poor season, a shocking defensive record and our failure to get things out of games once going behind, I doubt our players were full of confidence because we finished 9th.

I truly believe houllier started our downfall, it was a terrible appointment from an owner who was suckered in by the talk.

That 9th place finish papered over a lot of cracks.

After a poor season, a shocking defensive record and our failure to get things out of games once going behind, I doubt our players were full of confidence because we finished 9th.

I truly believe houllier started our downfall, it was a terrible appointment from an owner who was suckered in by the talk.

After a full season, you finish where you deserve. There were definitely cracks there but 9th was not some false position.

The reason why we didn't come from behind very often was because we almost always scored first. Likewise, the reason why we've come from behind more this season is because we score first a lot less.

I would argue Randy and MON started the downfall.

Agree on GED, what a plonker

Imagine if he didn't have ash or DJ

We would have gone down last year with all the in-fighting

Take the two most important players out of any team and I expect they'll finish a lot lower.

We finished 9th because GED was effectively removed from the post

(thank god he is ok by the way)

GED cannot take the glory for getting to 9th

We were like 17th when he left

How many games was GMac in charge for?

About 10, when we coincidentally went on a decent run

But we moved up about 5 places over the last 2 games so it's a bit misleading really

Actually, we were already on a good run when he took over. GMac didn't actually get a win until the second to last game of the season

Im amazed at how many people seem to be ignoring the players we have available at the minute when predicting the relegation run in.

Bolton, Sunderland, Norwich, Stoke, and West Brom - are winnable games - with a squad!! We have nearly our full first team out.

Football is football.. The great thing about it is anything can happen. Yes we look dead certs to lose every game we play right now, but we can very easily win them too..

Football is football.. The great thing about it is anything can happen. Yes we look dead certs to lose every game we play right now, but we can very easily win them too..

We played better against Chelsea with half our squad than most of our games when we have had a full squad

Im usually very positive, but under any regime, especially this current 1, I cant imagine Albrghton, Herd, Ireland, Bannan and Gardner dominating any midfield battle.

The reason why we didn't come from behind very often was because we almost always scored first. Likewise, the reason why we've come behind more this season is because we score first a lot less.

:lol: anything to defend that pathetic manager.

Regardless of how many times we went behind first, at one point we were the only team in the league who hadn't got a single point in a game where we went behind. You only had to watch us last season to see how pathetically we rolled over and died once the opposition scored.

Mcleish has got us letting in less goals, got Ireland playing instead of throwing him out instantly and TBF to Mcleish when we go behind we have managed to get ourselves back in the games.

Now i think Mcleish is a shocking manager but he's improved some things that were awful under houllier and he's just continuing the terrible performance of the team that houllier put in motion.

We played better against Chelsea with half our squad than most of our games when we have had a full squad

Except when we beat Chelsea at their place with the full squad...

I get what you mean though

Except when we beat Chelsea at their place with the full squad...

Chelsea are alot better than they where when we played them

The reason why we didn't come from behind very often was because we almost always scored first. Likewise, the reason why we've come behind more this season is because we score first a lot less.

:lol: anything to defend that pathetic manager.

Regardless of how many times we went behind first, at one point we were the only team in the league who hadn't got a single point in a game where we went behind. You only had to watch us last season to see how pathetically we rolled over and died once the opposition scored.

Mcleish has got us letting in less goals, got Ireland playing instead of throwing him out instantly and TBF to Mcleish when we go behind we have managed to get ourselves back in the games.

Now i think Mcleish is a shocking manager but he's improved some things that were awful under houllier and he's just continuing the terrible performance of the team that houllier put in motion.

What? It's got nothing to do with defending Houllier. I'm just pointing out the reasons behind this stat you seem to care so much about.

Yes, but McLeish has also got us scoring less, got the likes of Bent playing worse and the only reason why we sometimes come back when we go behind is because McLeish is a reactive manager. You don't like McLeish either, surely you can't dispute this last point? Just look at the way we play. More often than not we'll go out and play for a draw and then when the other team score a goal or two will we actually try and score ourselves. As I said, we've been just as gutless as last season if not more so, so this one stat doesn't really prove anything at all.

McLeish has improved some things (very few) while also making a number of other things even worse.

The current terrible performance of the team cannot be blamed on anyone but McLeish.

Did we?

Sounded as woeful as usual to me.

Was he really in charge for 10?!

Thought it was just the last 2 for some reason...

Correction just checked it was about 5

Stoke 1-1

WBA 1-2

Wigan 1-1

Arsenal 2-1

Liverpool 1-0

GEDs last game was a 2-1 win at The Boleyn

after Bent signed, Houllier games saw him pick up 18 points from 11 games (5 wins, 3 draws, 3 losses). I think it's fair to say, had he still been fit, we could have ended the season just as strong if not stronger than in those last 5 games. That sorta form would have us about 7th now :(

He was getting things right.