Save our dogs!

PauloBarnesi

Cats are horrible, wretched little shits. There is nothing nice about a cat. Nothing.

As for dogs, I have one and I've always liked them. In terms of native breeds being pushed towards extinction, I can't help but feel some people treat dogs as brands, and they are the ones kicking up a fuss over it. They're dogs, the variations are nothing to be concerned about unless you like to hunt/work with sheep etc.

To conclude, in an ideal world everyone would have a slow loris.

ur cat (neutered male, now 5 years old) has NEVER crapped, pissed or puked in the house, and does not scratch the furniture. And he's as sociable and affectionate as any dog.

same with little Bart who is now 19 ... though she did climb the Christmas tree one year and topple the whole thing over but other than that she has been flawless ...

When i first got her I used to go for a run and would get to the bottom of the road and find her trotting along behind me trying to catch up ..I'd have top take her back and lock her in the house ...

If we go swimming in the garden she comes and joins us all by the pool even if the kids do splash her :-) ... I reckon she would follow me anywhere to be honest (arthritis permitting these days :-( )

Cats are horrible, wretched little shits. There is nothing nice about a cat. Nothing.
I am genuinely baffled by this. I simply cannot imagine feeling that way.

Tony's experience however is very similar to mine.

All the weird shapes and sizes are just a human invention via selective breeding. They come and go, so what?

I thought preserving what humans create was a good thing, whether it be breeds (I love a good old rare breed), or architecture, art, trains, infact anything positive mankind has done. Shows where we come from and the changing world we live in. Surely its better than the world becoming homogenised.

Anyway if Aston Villa were a dog (they certainly aren’t a cat); what would they be?

When I saw this topic I thought it was going to be about what a mess the kennel clubs have made of the whole dog breeding business.

Look up pictures of dog breeds from 125 years ago or so:

A bulldog?

A german shepherd?

A dachshund?

They look absolutely nothing like the dogs we see today. In the dog-eat-dog world of competitve breeding, fashions are more important than history, and much more important than the health of the animal.

King Charles spaniels have been bred to have those cutesy liddle squashed-up faces. Now about 1 in 3 has a condition where the brain outgrows the skull, which as you would expect causes agony.

Bulldogs have also been bred to have squashed up faces and they have a list of genetic health problems as long as yer arm.

German Shepherds have been bred to have long, bendy back legs, and now heaps of them can hardly walk - not that that stops them from picking up those all-important show ribbons.

Dachshunds (see photo :)) have been progressively bred longer in the body and shorter in the leg. They suffer from spinal problems as you'd expect, although they are great pets in my experience! (fwiw I was in the Cat camp until my missus insisted on acquiring a sausage dog).

All the weird shapes and sizes are just a human invention via selective breeding. They come and go, so what?

I thought preserving what humans create was a good thing, whether it be breeds (I love a good old rare breed), or architecture, art, trains, infact anything positive mankind has done. Shows where we come from and the changing world we live in. Surely its better than the world becoming homogenised.

Oh, sure, no argument. I think we don't do enough to keep some of our old fruit and veg strains, for example.

I just thought it was a bit of a non-news story, making sound like some sort of species extinction, which it isn't. It's just about supply and demand, market forces. If people still want red setters or cocker spaniels, the breeders will keep producing them. If they don't, they won't. Not really an eco-disaster.

When I saw this topic I thought it was going to be about what a mess the kennel clubs have made of the whole dog breeding business.

Look up pictures of dog breeds from 125 years ago or so:

A bulldog?

A german shepherd?

A dachshund?

They look absolutely nothing like the dogs we see today. In the dog-eat-dog world of competitve breeding, fashions are more important than history, and much more important than the health of the animal.

King Charles spaniels have been bred to have those cutesy liddle squashed-up faces. Now about 1 in 3 has a condition where the brain outgrows the skull, which as you would expect causes agony.

Bulldogs have also been bred to have squashed up faces and they have a list of genetic health problems as long as yer arm.

German Shepherds have been bred to have long, bendy back legs, and now heaps of them can hardly walk - not that that stops them from picking up those all-important show ribbons.

Dachshunds (see photo :)) have been progressively bred longer in the body and shorter in the leg. They suffer from spinal problems as you'd expect, although they are great pets in my experience! (fwiw I was in the Cat camp until my missus insisted on acquiring a sausage dog).

Im not a massive dog fan. My old boy and girl have got a Dachshund name Finley who's 2/3 years old...he's pretty cool to be honest.

So loyal to my lad, he doesnt leave his side when we/he is round his nan's. Gets pissed when someone picks George up because im guessing he thinks that someone is going to hurt him...or is it because he's jealous?

Im not a massive dog fan. My old boy and girl have got a Dachshund name Finley who's 2/3 years old...he's pretty cool to be honest.

So loyal to my lad, he doesnt leave his side when we/he is round his nan's. Gets pissed when someone picks George up because im guessing he thinks that someone is going to hurt him...or is it because he's jealous?

I believe the current thinking in the field of canine psychology in which I am an amateur participant (as an observer, NOT as a subject) is that dogs are very much pack animals.

This means that they curry favour with the perceived Pack Leader, and resent any newcomers gaining affection or attention at their expense. Anything that they think raises their pack status is a good thing and anything that lowers it is bad news.

I believe the current thinking in the field of canine psychology in which I am an amateur participant (as an observer, NOT as a subject) is that dogs are very much pack animals.

This means that they curry favour with the perceived Pack Leader, and resent any newcomers gaining affection or attention at their expense. Anything that they think raises their pack status is a good thing and anything that lowers it is bad news.

So your saying that the dog see's my lad as the leader?

I am in the minority because I really like both cats and dogs.

I don't have either as the road is too busy for a cat, and the wife doesn't like dogs!

The best present that I could ever receive would be a dog, but I don't see it happening in this life!

So your saying that the dog see's my lad as the leader?

er...dunno.

Look, how am I supposed to know what's in your parent's sausage dog's fucken head, alright? :lol:

(but seriously, probably jealousy, and he's probably only jealous when someone HIGHER in the pack ranking picks up his percieved underling)

Â