Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

Is Keane on ITV tonight?

They are both working at the game tonight according to Talksport.

ahhh then ...mon will walk out 20mins before the start and keano will leave due to the lack of water in his glass while racially abusing the floor manager 

Yeah I think MON is a tosspot, but I'm also of the opinion that international management will suit him down to the ground. It's going to be interesting if nothing else. This dreary little Irishman will breed a little excitement into the dreary lives of all Irishmen.

It's official

The Football Association of Ireland this evening (November 5) confirmed that Martin O'Neill will be Ireland's next manager, taking up the position when the Irish team meets up on the evening of November 11 to prepare for two friendly matches against Latvia (Aviva Stadium, Nov 15) and Poland (Poznan, Nov 19).

Martin O'Neill is considered to be one of the most successful Irish managers of all time. As a player he spent most of his career with Nottingham Forest and was captain of the Northern Ireland side at the World Cup in Spain 1982. The Kilrea man's management career has included many successes including leading Celtic FC to the 2003 UEFA Cup Final. In his five-year tenure at the club, O'Neill led them to three league titles, three Scottish Cup successes and a Scottish League Cup win. He also won the League Cup twice with Leicester City and brought Aston Villa to the 2010 League Cup final, as well as sixth spot in the Premier League three seasons in a row.

Martin O'Neill's assistant manager, Roy Keane is former captain of the Republic of Ireland and widely regarded as one of the best footballers ever to play for Ireland. He spent most of his club career with Manchester United, making 326 appearances and scoring 51 goals.
Roy Keane's managerial career began with a very successful spell at Sunderland when he led the Black Cats up from the Championship in his first season in 2007, then kept the club in the Premier League the following season. He stepped down in December 2008 and returned to management with Ipswich Town four months later.

Making this evening's announcement, FAI President, Paddy McCaul said:
"This is a great appointment for Irish football. Martin was the Board's preferred candidate from the outset and to have someone of the calibre of Roy Keane as his assistant manager is a real plus. I wish them every success for the coming campaign. I would like to thank the League Managers' Association and their legal team led by Paul Gilroy QC, as well as the FAI's Legal Director, Sarah O'Shea for helping the process proceed so swiftly."

Welcoming the appointment, FAI CEO John Delaney said:
"Today, the FAI Board is appointing two Irish legends as manager and assistant manager of our national team and I wish them every success in their roles. Martin and Roy will have the next ten months to prepare and shape the squad for the challenge of EURO 2016 qualification which starts in September 2014. The appointment would not have been possible were it not for Denis O'Brien's continued and immensely generous support, and on behalf of the FAI Board, we thank him sincerely for his help in delivering a management team of this quality."

repulsive, looking forward to McGeady and McClean consistently on the wings and pity poor Seamus Coleman as MON has a dislike for right backs, probably have Paul Green up there. also think Sammon be brought in as the Heskey type player

I might even support England instead.

:o

Would you take McLeish as manager ahead of O'Neill?

yes i would, rather take anybody but him. their records are not that dissimilar except one has better PR

repulsive, looking forward to McGeady and McClean consistently on the wings and pity poor Seamus Coleman as MON has a dislike for right backs, probably have Paul Green up there. also think Sammon be brought in as the Heskey type player

:crylaugh:

Cheer up Zatman, whatever happens, with a MON/Keane combo there's almost certainly going to be fireworks, at least we have that to look forward to. I'd rather have those 2 wingers playing rather then having Walters or Cox masquerading as wingers as was the case under the old regime. Besides, Robbie Brady is looking decent, he'll surely pick him.

Nonetheless it's a big job, Ireland are well stocked in midfield but looking poor enough in central defence and up front, not sure even a Guus Hiddink could sort that out. Not a whole lot of talent coming out of the underage setup bar the Villa starlets, hopefully O'Neill will be able to pinch some of Norn Iron's young talent to plug the gaps  ;)

• Like 1

I might even support England instead.

:o

Would you take McLeish as manager ahead of O'Neill?

yes i would, rather take anybody but him. their records are not that dissimilar except one has better PR

Bloody hell. I think he's a good choice but I am surprised at Keane's role.

Stephen Ireland wants back in,  :crylaugh:

Which is also a positive. Let's face it, he has what, 6 caps 4 goals? and would walk into what is a painfully mediocre Irish midfield at the moment. You seem to be concentrating on the personalities at the moment rather than the footballing possibilities.

I just dont see any positives this at all. international football is about keeping the ball and MON and Trap even Charlton are not that far away from how they set them up but while it was successful for Charlton the international game has moved onto another dimension.

If goals to game ratio is compared that was in 2007 when he was playing well but at villa he got 1 goal here in his 3 seasons. I rated Ireland and believe he has talent that he wont use but I know a lot people wont want him near the squad

Removing the personalities and even the identities of those involved.  This is basically a player who previously declared himself unavailable for Ireland now making himself available.  That's a positive.  If the management choose to use him; if they deem him useful to the squad; then now they can, where previously they couldn't.  I'm suggesting his recent revival at Stoke and his previous international record adds to that positive.

As for international football being all about possession football.  It probably is for the top teams much in the same way that it is for the top teams in club football.  But we are not a top team and we don't have the players that could play that way even if we had Pep Guardiola himself coaching the team.  Football is still football.  By which I mean we need to score goals.  We will endevour to score goals the way that best suits the players we have.  There are negatives to having O'Neill, I know that.  He's not perfect but then we're not in a position to cherry-pick.  He does have his positives too though.  He has made a career of motivating average players and reaching league positions that he had no business reaching.  For me Keane is an intriguing assistant if his qualities as a player can translate to his coaching and his better qualities up to this point as a manager can be harnessed while keeping his 'fire' in check.  He will know where he went wrong with his temperament at Ipswich and Sunderland.  He won't have come away from those experiences without having learned a thing.

I just think it should at the very least pique the curiosity of even those football fans who aren't a fan of one or both of them.

No I really amn't, honestly.  Would I choose him in an ideal world.  No of course not.  That hasn't changed.  But now that we have him we need to see what it is that he can bring.  I also think the addition of Roy Keane really does throw an intriguing cat amongst the pigeons.  Particularly around style of play.  One of O'Neill's negatives is his dour football.  Roy might have an influence there.

Basically now that we're in the situation we're in, I'm going to let it impress me rather than assume that it won't.

Â