Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

I thought Keane came across very well in his conference and answered the intentionally-awkward questions satisfactorily, in the sense that all the petty journos with their thinly-veiled shit-stirring agendas now have the answers to their lazy questions. He didn't dodge anything and I'm now even more positive that this regime is going to be a professional one that will leave no stone unturned and will get the most from what we've got as a squad. The FAI give the conference, it's up to the press to ask the questions about squad, fixtures etc. They (the press) obviously needed this first conference to get the mischief out of their system (to knock one out as it were). Hopefully they've done that now and we can focus on the football from here on rather than the circus that they are desperately trying to turn it into, but which it isn't, much to their (and many fans') seeming disappointment.

agree thought the Keane interview was very good but not surprised as he is an intelligent guy and always a good speaker compared to a lot of other Premier League footballers past or present

Edited by Zatman

For me personally, the microscope is not on Keane and O'Neill. It's on the meeja and their vox-popping of the [generic dickhead sitting in a pub] as to whether MON/RK will be even allowed a fair crack of the whip. I'm already seeing an appetite for a total disaster. Typical small-minded paddy bullshit and I can't wait til I'm in a pub and the topic comes up and I hear one of them pipe up about it :twisted:

yeah I normally would detest that myself (the Robbie Keane bashers are the worst, would swear we have Marco van Basten and Ronaldo waiting in the wings) though I do have my own reasons for wanting MON to fail ;)

Seriously. That performance was a breath of fresh air. We were unrecognisable. The first touch passes, the 1-2s, give and go's. The build-up to Long's goal. The desire to get forward. Hallelujah.

Yes Latvia were muck but we actually went out and punished their incompetence. We were ruthless and showed a hunger and a belief in our ability. I haven't seen that in a long time. As Houghton said in commentary, we didn't even do that against poorer opposition like Kazakhstan.

Looking forward to Tuesday now and a sterner test away in Poland. On the evidence of the attitudes shown in that one performance, irrespective of the result, I suspect we're about to become quite an annoying opponent for the big boys once again. No more of us being a soft touch.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFulcDJDJEU

Wait until the pressure is on :D

Haha that was actually pretty funny. And he was totally right to tell that idiot off, just letting it ring in front of everyone. Sensed a bit of Fergie in his stare there to be honest..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFulcDJDJEU

Wait until the pressure is on :D

Haha that was actually pretty funny. And he was totally right to tell that idiot off, just letting it ring in front of everyone. Sensed a bit of Fergie in his stare there to be honest..

Yeah, Keane is spot on there. The Journo is deliberately being a word removed.

Anger at positivity :-) Add in the 'yeah but one time...' logic and you've almost won cynical bingo :-P If you read my summary carefully, you'll see I was quite deliberate with the wording. It was the attitudes shown and the tactics employed that were the most impressive. You have to admit that the old Ireland would have gone out to play quite a cautious cagey game even against opponents of that quality. The way we approached it showed me that we believed we were a lot better than them and weren't afraid to prove it. That's something I haven't seen much watching Ireland over the years.

Â