The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Mc Leish is meant to direct most of the flack away from Lerner, It is a pity that we have to pay the price as loyal supporters for bad mistakes made from our Board,If Lerner had any idea he would get the right advice and act before it is too late.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because McLeish and O'Neil went head-to-head in Scotland and shared years of success between them, Lerner probably thought that this, along with a 9th placed finish and a Carling Cup, made him the next best thing to MON.
This seems to be the most plausible explanation. Thing is, should we have been looking for the next best thing to MON in the first place? Personally I don't think so. Although he was moderately successful with us his style is something we need to move away from. Instead of moving away from it in the right direction, we've moved away from it in the wrong direction and adopted negative hoofball with McLeish. We're now further away from the modern game than ever.

By mid-January 2010, he had guided them to a 12-game unbeaten run, a club record in the top division, set a Premier League record by selecting the same starting eleven for nine consecutive games, and been named Premier League Manager of the Month for December 2009, the first Birmingham manager to receive the award. By the end of the season McLeish had led Birmingham to ninth place, their highest finish for more than 50 years.

How did he do it?

Joe Hart, Scott Dann and Roger Johnson all seemed to have a purple patch around the same time, and basically carried the team. It was actually during that period when I realised Joe Hart is the best English goalkeeper since Seaman.

McLeish was incredibly lucky with the 9th placed finish. Yet I look at that run and they were playing 4-4-2 with the Mexican flop Benitez and Jerome leading the line for 9 games straight. Bowyer chipped in with a few goals from midfield. Before that run, and after it, and all of last season, they were playing 4-5-1 with the lone striker - something we know well.

Yes, Joe Hart and Johnson/Dann had blinders, but they weren't under the cosh as much due to the pace they had in forward areas.

But McLeish reverted to type last season and look where they ended up, and look at where we could end up.

Because McLeish and O'Neil went head-to-head in Scotland and shared years of success between them, Lerner probably thought that this, along with a 9th placed finish and a Carling Cup, made him the next best thing to MON.
This seems to be the most plausible explanation. Thing is, should we have been looking for the next best thing to MON in the first place? Personally I don't think so. Although he was moderately successful with us his style is something we need to move away from. Instead of moving away from it in the right direction, we've moved away from it in the wrong direction and adopted negative hoofball with McLeish. We're now further away from the modern game than ever.

Mantis, I totally agree mate. A good young manager with fresh ideas was needed - many have mentioned Lambert, Rodgers etc. These are now proven Premiership managers who have turned clubs, who were once laughing stocks, into consistent Premiership sides who play good football.

We on the other hand appoint a dinosaur.

I still don't understand why we appointed this guy, he is not a Premiership quality manager. I know Randy wanted Premier League experience, but surely he would have wanted good Premier League experience and not bad Premier League experience. Terry Connor, Phil Brown, Ian Dowie, Avram Grant, Alan Shearer have got Premier League experience too. Go away McLeish, jog the feck on! Being a nice bloke shouldn't be a good enough reason to appoint a manager.

Not only did Lerner appoint him, he PAID for the "privilege"!

:shock: :x :evil: :o:bang: :bonk: :puke::rant: :eek: :huh: :wow:

I still don't understand why we appointed this guy, he is not a Premiership quality manager. I know Randy wanted Premier League experience, but surely he would have wanted good Premier League experience and not bad Premier League experience. Terry Connor, Phil Brown, Ian Dowie, Avram Grant, Alan Shearer have got Premier League experience too. Go away McLeish, jog the feck on! Being a nice bloke shouldn't be a good enough reason to appoint a manager.

Not only did Lerner appoint him, he PAID for the "privilege"!

:shock: :x :evil: :o:bang: :bonk: :puke::rant: :eek: :huh: :wow:

Yeah, £3 million reportedly too!

:shock: :x :evil: :o:bang: :bonk: :puke::rant: :eek: :huh: :wow:.

Looking back at this season, the writing was on the wall from our first game under McLeish. A dour 0-0 draw at Fulham, where we survived by the skin of our teeth because of some magnificent saves and last ditch defending! 14 draws, 12 defeats and 7 wins later, here we are! F**kin shit!

Only 3 more home games to go and then my time spent going to VP on match days comes to an end.

Well done Lerner, well done McLeish, you have achieved in one season what no woman has managed to ever achieve, you've stopped me going to the Villa.

Only 3 more home games to go and then my time spent going to VP on match days comes to an end.

Well done Lerner, well done McLeish, you have achieved in one season what no woman has managed to ever achieve, you've stopped me going to the Villa.

I heard this said by so many supporters who go back some way in there support for villa.

I have to decide on renewell for next season . What the heck is going on.

Â