The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

All these people calling for mcleishs head... Can one of you tell me what good it would do to sack him now and more importantly who could we get to replace him? And please dont say kevin mcdonald

Alan Curbishley?

To be fair, Dave at number 47 woudl be a better option than this muppet.

This "who would we get to replace" argument is begining to wear thin. How many times has it been asked and answered, but 10 pages later, up it pops again.

Dave at 47 wouldn't come here, not enough ambition shown by the club, plus he has a better win record than McLeish and hasn't suffered relegation....

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to preface my post with the following so my perspective is understood.

I'm not: a "McLeish apologist," a blues fan, happy with our league position, defeatist, or ginger.

However, I also do not believe that McLeish was ever, nor is now the right man to take Aston Villa forward. I also don't see any sense in sacking him.

The game yesterday demonstrated what he is capable of, good quality, dominant attacking football. For the first half anyway. So what happened in the second half? I saw a group of players devoid of confidence desperate to avoid the catcalls and booing they have recieved on several occasions this season. A team with a 1-0 lead who went backwards trying to protect it and failing dismally. McLeish stood on sidelines pushing the team forward urging them not to sit too deep, and not first time this season he was ignored. his decion to bring on Bannan and Gardner were hardly negative or defensive.

Yesterday, like others before it showed me that McLeish COULD take us forward and have us playing decent football and winning a few games. Trouble is, he needs the finances and the support from the fans and board to achieve it. The squad needs a major overall, new centre backs a support striker, a creative midfielder and a winger.

Can't see him getting the time to do it.

The game yesterday demonstrated what he is capable of, good quality, dominant attacking football. For the first half anyway. So what happened in the second half? I saw a group of players devoid of confidence desperate to avoid the catcalls and booing they have recieved on several occasions this season. A team with a 1-0 lead who went backwards trying to protect it and failing dismally. McLeish stood on sidelines pushing the team forward urging them not to sit too deep, and not first time this season he was ignored. his decion to bring on Bannan and Gardner were hardly negative or defensive.

I think you have a great point there - but this begs the question as to what does McLeish, or any other manager, have to do to get players to start playing confidently?

We should have won the game easily, just didnt take our chances. And whats this about sitting back in the second half?? As far as i could see we had chances in the second half too. Seems people are making shit up to justify mcleish getting the sack. Pathetic.

Now I am laughing out loud.

What on earth are you talking about? You cannot seriously believe what you are saying? Can you? For real?

I'm going to preface my post with the following so my perspective is understood.

I'm not: a "McLeish apologist," a blues fan, happy with our league position, defeatist, or ginger.

However, I also do not believe that McLeish was ever, nor is now the right man to take Aston Villa forward. I also don't see any sense in sacking him.

Yesterday, like others before it showed me that McLeish COULD take us forward and have us playing decent football and winning a few games. Trouble is, he needs the finances and the support from the fans and board to achieve it. The squad needs a major overall, new centre backs a support striker, a creative midfielder and a winger.

Im sorry, but we could just as justifiably argue that the second half was more systemic of what McLiesh is. I never saw him once waving people forward, anywhere.

Given time and money, there is only one place this fool is taking us and its not up.

I think you have a great point there - but this begs the question as to what does McLeish, or any other manager, have to do to get players to start playing confidently?

Short term We need to nick a result, a win, but not based on 30mins defending a 1-0. We need to performance that shows going forward wins you games.

Long term we need to ditch the "experience" of Collins and Dunne. Get 2 new CBs in and partner them with Cuellar. A new creative force in midfield to partner Stan, and play Ireland off Bent. A new winger instead of Albrighton and we may need to kill the sacred cow that is Gabby, as much as it pains me to think it. Oh, and a couple of full backs too. All to be achieved in a climate of reducing the wages and having **** all to spend. Shouldn't be too hard......

Can anyone tell me if he got a ton of abuse at the end of the Game please.

No he didn't

It was strange at the end though as four or five Villa players came over and just sat down on the pitch in front of the villa fans

They were in no rush to get back into the dressing room

Blackburn were all over us for 45 minutes. We only managed like 2 or 3 attacks (and surprise!, we almost scored from each of them). Defending a 1 goal lead against relegation-zone Blackburn, it's sad that that's where we are as a club at this point in time.

Im sorry, but we could just as justifiably argue that the second half was more systemic of what McLiesh is. I never saw him once waving people forward, anywhere.

Given time and money, there is only one place this fool is taking us and its not up.

So the first half was nothing to do with McLeish presumably? He just got the players in at half time and told them to defend for 45mins?

Don't accept that at all.

Blackburn were all over us for 45 minute.

No they weren't, what game were you watching ?

I watched the game a further 2 times since yesterday. Second half was all Blackburn. Every second ball was falling to them, and we couldn't string more than 3 passes together.

Blackburn were all over us for 45 minute.

No they weren't, what game were you watching ?

I watched the MOTD highlights of the game 2 times since yesterday. Second half highlights they showed was all Blackburn. Every second ball was falling to them, and we couldn't string more than 3 passes together.in the 5 mins they screened.

Fixed for accuracy.

@CI, If they weren't so crap they would have created more. Gabby's header, and two shots from Ireland and Bannan are all we came up with in that second half. It isn't rocket science that if we attacked more like in those instances, we would have created more (and god forbid, more goals). But we barely tried. Blackburn were the architects of that result. Were nonexistent in the first half, but decided to turn up for the second.

@Eames, I live in Malaysia where not only is MOTD not shown here...but reruns of the weekend's games are repeated over and over until the next set of games.

I couldn't disagree more. Yesterdays first half showed us what this squad is capable of, unfortunatley for us mcleish has failed to get the best out of gabby, nzogbia, ireland and our defence in far too many games.

It also reflected our problems under mcleish. There is a serious lack of confidence in the squad which has been clear for most of the season, a good manager can have a positive impact on this.

Secondly blackburn made two changes at HT and our manager failed to adapt to those changes and their equaliser was coming all through the second half.

I don't see how anyone can use yesterdays game to suggest we can have a positive future under alex mcleish.

I can't see how anyone can be so blinkered as to the think the squad just decided to play well, and then did what McLeish wanted after half time. It's total nonsense.

So the first half was nothing to do with McLeish presumably? He just got the players in at half time and told them to defend for 45mins?

Don't accept that at all.

Ah, go on then, put those words into my mouth! I watched 45 minutes of inaction as Blackburn bossed the game. The substitutes were poor, really poor and did not take into consideration where the game was or actually what was needed. Tactically naive.

As for not accepting it, you wouldnt. Your appear to think that McLeish is not responsible for this debacle and constantly look for excuses to blame others, sounds very reminiscent of the man himself. I am not sure what you have seen to justify your stance, to me it sounds a lot like the emporers new clothes.

Or could it be the fact were just that bad as a footballing side some people seem to point the finger at MCleish and others constantly.

When sometimes the blame does sit with the players as for me they literally are i,d say a bottom five club.

Generally not good enough especially when your getting outplayed by Wolves and Blackburn who are also awful.

Â