The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contrary to what alot of people here think, im quite intrigued to see what AMC can do in a full summer window fully backed by the owner. I reakon hes got an eye for a player. Made some quite astute signings with them lot. Also make a couple of bad buys but show me a manager who doesnt. Id say his good signings outweigh his bad ones. Saying that though, as manager of Aston Villa he should be looking at a better standard of player to what the blose were so like i say im quite looking forward to it to be honest

*puts tin hat on*

and I said we played the long ball where?

By asking Dunne and Collins to drop onto our 18 yard box and pump the ball forward for players to chase?.

Probably not up on tactics and terminology as much as you but is this not the same thing?

Not to me, but I admire the amount of effort you go to troll back through posts.

The outball was Albrighton against Wolves, but I fail to recall the point where Collins or Dunne put a foot on the ball and we kept possession through midfield? The outball was that, pumped out to Albrighton or forward to Bent.

and I said we played the long ball where?

By asking Dunne and Collins to drop onto our 18 yard box and pump the ball forward for players to chase?.

Probably not up on tactics and terminology as much as you but is this not the same thing?

Not to me, but I admire the amount of effort you go to troll back through posts.

The outball was Albrighton against Wolves, but I fail to recall the point where Collins or Dunne put a foot on the ball and we kept possession through midfield? The outball was that, pumped out to Albrighton or forward to Bent.

I didnt trawl through anything it was during a discussion we had, its also quite easy to remember the more laughable comments, but thanks for the admiration.

Its odd that you think that "pumping" it to Bent from Collins and Dunne, bypassing the entire midfield, isnt that of a long ball game.

Either way its academic as the original question, which you have expertly side stepped, was for you to explain how it is that when Wolves hammered us in the first half and we then we "pumped" the ball to Bent that we had less long passes than Wolves, more short passes and overall more passes?

No problems, wish I could say the same but most or your comments are instantly forgettable.

But by the looks of the last paragraph, you are suggesting that even during our battering when I struggle to recall us holding posession long enough to string two passes together, we maintained some element of controlled passing?

You are also by the sounds of it suggesting that Wolves are some form of interplay benchmark which we eclipsed with our intricate passing and fluid movement?

In that case, I withdraw my original sit deep and pump the ball to Albrighton and Bent synopsis. We truelly are on the up and I bet Arsenal are shitting themselves now we have suddenly discovered the type of Barcelona like fluidity and passing that they can only aspire to.

Then of course, I could be talking absolute shite but at least I only spent a couple of minutes making it up, than some who seem to spen considerably longer researching it!

No problems, wish I could say the same but most or your comments are instantly forgettable.

But by the looks of the last paragraph, you are suggesting that even during our battering when I struggle to recall us holding posession long enough to string two passes together, we maintained some element of controlled passing?

You are also by the sounds of it suggesting that Wolves are some form of interplay benchmark which we eclipsed with our intricate passing and fluid movement?

In that case, I withdraw my original sit deep and pump the ball to Albrighton and Bent synopsis. We truelly are on the up and I bet Arsenal are shitting themselves now we have suddenly discovered the type of Barcelona like fluidity and passing that they can only aspire to.

Then of course, I could be talking absolute shite but at least I only spent a couple of minutes making it up, than some who seem to spen considerably longer researching it!

Why not instead of trying to second guess what I am suggesting, which incidentally you have incorrectly surmised, or instead of being sarcastic and derogatory just answer the question in a grown up cohesive manner?

I am quite ambivalent on the merits of McLeish as a manager but I don't get the criticism of a hard fought and well won local derby away from home.

We were the better side for the first 20-25 mins and for the whole of the second half.

The team selection was both brave and correct, by that I mean he dropped Warnock from the starting eleven because he needed to show that you play badly and you get dropped. It didn't work out as Clark was a little out of his depth so he brought on Warnock (plenty of managers wouldn't have done that) who then came on and played very well. His Half Time reshuffle was good, he could quite easily have made a double sub, replacing Warnock for Clark and Weimann or Bannan for Gabby. He'd didn't however, he chose to keep Clark on the pitch which in itself was inspired, it showed the lad that he appreciated his efforts in an unnatural position and allowed him to regain his confidence in the second half in a more familiar position, great for the kids confidence and it meant he still had two substitutions left. His one substitution and the subsequent reshuffle, completely changed the dynamic of the second half, something his counterpart didn't seem to have an answer for. He played Gardner from the start and took him off with a couple of minutes to go so the crowd again would be applauding him and him alone when he came off, another great confidence boost for one of the youngsters. His reshuffle also gave him evidence that Albrighton can play on both sides (you could argue he's better on the left, he certainly was in this game.)

Hopefully McLeish will have learned a lot about his squad and a little bit about himself and I can't see where any criticism is due to him from that game tbh.

Why not instead of trying to second guess what I am suggesting, which incidentally you are mistaken on, or instead of being sarcastic and derogatory just answer the question in a grown up cohesive manner?

Because the way you follow me around is worrying enough, I simply dont want to encourage your further.

But as you say I "sidesteppted" your question,

I bet the half time stats will show a hell of a different story to the full time (obviously) between how the two sides passed the ball.

Secondly, as i thought I mentioned, I dont count Wolves as some passing benchmark to pit ourselves against.

Thirdly, the last ten minutes were backs to the wall with the outball been a pump forward to Bent or the preferred outball Albrighton.

As I suspected, you couldnt find me talking about Long Ball anywhere, but as usual, you didnt let that stand in the way of your endless pursuit of arguing with anything I say. Whilst I have no qualms with batting back and forth, I would guess most members are getting just a little bored.

Because the way you follow me around is worrying enough, I simply dont want to encourage your further.

I bet the half time stats will show a hell of a different story to the full time (obviously) between how the two sides passed the ball.

Secondly, as i thought I mentioned, I dont count Wolves as some passing benchmark to pit ourselves against.

Thirdly, the last ten minutes were backs to the wall with the outball been a pump forward to Bent or the preferred outball Albrighton.

As I suspected, you couldnt find me talking about Long Ball anywhere, but as usual, you didnt let that stand in the way of your endless pursuit of arguing with anything I say. Whilst I have no qualms with batting back and forth, I would guess most members are getting just a little bored.

Couldnt help yourself could you?

Youve not really answered the question at all but nevermind.

I am quite ambivalent on the merits of McLeish as a manager but I don't get the criticism of a hard fought and well won local derby away from home.

We were the better side for the first 20-25 mins and for the whole of the second half.

The team selection was both brave and correct, by that I mean he dropped Warnock from the starting eleven because he needed to show that you play badly and you get dropped. It didn't work out as Clark was a little out of his depth so he brought on Warnock (plenty of managers wouldn't have done that) who then came on and played very well. His Half Time reshuffle was good, he could quite easily have made a double sub, replacing Warnock for Clark and Weimann or Bannan for Gabby. He'd didn't however, he chose to keep Clark on the pitch which in itself was inspired, it showed the lad that he appreciated his efforts in an unnatural position and allowed him to regain his confidence in the second half in a more familiar position, great for the kids confidence and it meant he still had two substitutions left. His one substitution and the subsequent reshuffle, completely changed the dynamic of the second half, something his counterpart didn't seem to have an answer for. He played Gardner from the start and took him off with a couple of minutes to go so the crowd again would be applauding him and him alone when he came off, another great confidence boost for one of the youngsters. His reshuffle also gave him evidence that Albrighton can play on both sides (you could argue he's better on the left, he certainly was in this game.)

Hopefully McLeish will have learned a lot about his squad and a little bit about himself and I can't see where any criticism is due to him from that game tbh.

Insightful :up:

As I suspected, you couldnt find me talking about Long Ball anywhere....

Did two different people type those consecutive paragraphs? Is there something we should know? And just for the record, what on earth is an outball?

As I suspected, you couldnt find me talking about Long Ball anywhere....

Did two different people type those consecutive paragraphs? Is there something we should know? And just for the record, what on earth is an outball?

No. Pumping the ball forward, or out wide in the case of Albrighton who are mid way in our half is a lot differant to playing the longball with a big target man to hold or a speedy striker to chase. We dont have either.

You have never heard of an outball? The ball to release the pressure? Under ONeill it used to be Young, against Wolves it was Albrighton who didnt get sucked into the melee and stayed out wide to give us an outball.

Couldnt help yourself could you?

Youve not really answered the question at all but nevermind.

To be honest, you have gone on so long I cant remember what the original question was! :winkold:

No. Pumping the ball forward, or out wide in the case of Albrighton who are mid way in our half is a lot differant to playing the longball with a big target man to hold or a speedy striker to chase. We dont have either.

You have never heard of an outball? The ball to release the pressure? Under ONeill it used to be Young, against Wolves it was Albrighton who didnt get sucked into the melee and stayed out wide to give us an outball.

Darren Bent isn't a striker or a target man now?

Outball, thanks for the explanation, seems like an Americanism, therefore I'm naturally inclined to hate it.

Nicely put Bicks!

It was a completely different game to the boring defensive 0-0 I expected to see and kept me entertained for the 90 minutes. OK we had our backs against the wall for 20 minutes in the first half butWolves were the home team and are going to apply some pressure during the game. We should have been 1 up in the first couple of minutes had the very solid Gary Gardner scored the free header with his first real touch of the ball.

Keane looked OK in open play IMO and is a huge improvement on Emile when he drops deep to collect the ball. Also Bent seems a lot more lively and to create the goal from chasing a lost cause down was good to see.

Overall the points were well deserved and AM must take some of the credit. I still don't see any future other than bottom half mediocrity. But let's give credit where it's due it was a win and the only thing that will be remembered is the 3 points at the end of the season.

It was

Darren Bent isn't a striker or a target man now?

Outball, thanks for the explanation, seems like an Americanism, therefore I'm naturally inclined to hate it.

It isnt and is something that we discuss with our kids quite a lot. Example, ball pumped into the box, headed/cleared out centrally towards the D is likely to come straight back at you if defending deep.

By keeping some width and encouraging players to clear wide, you have an outball that relieves the pressure.

I didnt think it was that hard, if you watch most teams they have an outball. Cutting it off often causes problems for them as it is something worked on in training.

spot on gareth. :thumb:

As some people have rightly pointed out, 6 wins in 22 League games is not very impressive, but if you look hard enough you can still interpret that as long-term progress:

It took O’Neill 24 games to reach 6 wins.

It took Houiller 23 games to reach 6 wins.

It took McLeish 22 games to reach 6 wins.

So the good news is that, if we keep progressing at the same rate, we can look forward to seeing an immediately successful manager as early as about 2050.

Â