Forza 4

Chindie

Coming early October, and looking absolutely fantastic. Got my preorder down for the Limited Edition already. Top Gear are heavily involved in the game, providing some commentary on some of the cars, their Test Track is also featured (along with the Kia Cee'd so you can compare yourself properly to the 'celebrities').

Looks incredible, I'll upload some screenshots later.

The game also is going to feature bonuses for people who have already played Forza 3, looks like it'll earn you bonus cars to get started with.

And if you have a preorder down, email proof of that and they'll send you some bonus stuff too when the game drops.

surprised about the top gear stuff after their involvement with GT but its a multiple year deal according to wiki, says they are putting in some top gear mini games such as car football and you can view your car in the top gear studio

the LE has an extra 14 cars some BMW body kits and theme

meant to be 500 cars on the disc then 10 per month on live

had a play of this last week, its fantastic

clarkson talks about all the cars featured in auto vista mode. the dev i was talking to said they gave him a list of the cars and he went off and wrote, recorded and edited the whole lot himself and sent them over the audio when he was done

he pulls no punches in them either, properly abuses some stuff in true clarkson fashion :lol:

No Porsches in the game sadly. The last game had shitloads :(. Licencing issue with EA.

Turn10 have had a bit of a whinge about it, but they can't really talk, they've enforced licences before now, hence TDU2 not having the 458 Italia.

Cant Forza 4 just do this to get 'Porsche' cars in their games?

Thats exactly what they will be doing, but people want genuine Porsche models, not the RUF models.

Aye, but it seems they cant. RUF never really did anything to harm the sales of the Gran Turismo games either. It's not ideal, but it's nothing like having to play as West Midlands Village on Pro Evo.

I think this edition is going to mix up the formula a bit, they've spoken a lot about the things they're changing and the like - bigger variety in the racing for example IIRC. The Top Gear stuff will also hopefully give it a bit more fun factor to play with.

The career mode is a grind, but theres still something I like about it. I pop it on once in a while and do a couple of tournaments, I got to level 40/45 before I stopped really giving it a proper go.

IT looks superb. I'm a fan of the series though - it's like Gran Turismo with a bit more fun left in.

If you are looking to get it Troglodyte, go into Gamestation or somewhere, get a free preorder done, then scan the preorder receipt and check this - provided you're on Live, free bonus cars to download when it's released.

• 1 month later...

I've ordered this, and the new wireless wheel, from Amazon. Just had a mail that the game has been dispatched but the wheel hasn't. Grr!

Can't wait to get it though, largely because I'm still laid up post-op and can't drive. My new Alfa Giulietta is at the dealer but I obviously can't take it yet. The Amazon pre-order has my car as a bonus though so I'll be able to try it out :D

I'm new to x-box - I guess I'm going to have to download my bonus cars, so how do I go about connecting to the internet etc? Can I do it wirelessly? Help!

What type of Xbox do you have? If it's the new slim model it has a built in wireless adapter, it's simply a case of going to the section in the menus, letting it search for your network and putting in your passcodes for your internet, and away you go. That'll give you the basic service on Live which doesn't cost anything and will let you input your bonus code (press the Guide button on your controller, hit left twice, hit 'Redeem Code' and input the 25 character code, it'll pop up what it entitles you to and then will download it when you confirm it). If you want to race people online you'll need a Gold subscription, £40 for a year, roughly, you can get deals sometimes on it and it also comes with bonuses like Gold member only offers and access to Facebook and twitter etc, and coming soon stuff like iPlayer.

If you've got an older model (i.e. not the slim), to connect wirelessly to the net requires an adapter which is still ludicrously priced - circa £60 on the high street. Goes second hand in Gamestation for £35-40, silly price but it is what it is. That clips on the back of the console and connects via the USB, then you set it up just like the new models built in one. If you have the older model and need one of these, make sure you get the black one, it's a lot better than the first one they released.

I've taken delivery of the new 'Wireless Speed Wheel' Microsoft have released today (thankfully at a bargain price ;)), not sure whether that's what you've bought Rob but er... well, I don't think I like it :oops:. I'm not sure whether it's not being used to it or what but a quick impression on Forza 3 and the Forza 4 demo has not left me impressed. The Dpad is hilariously bad, worse than the original controller one - I can press a direction fully and nothing happens. You really have to press it down seriously to get it to work. It's also missing the shoulder bumpers entirely making it slightly less useable, stuff like the F1 games where you're using a lot of buttons if you turn off some of the assists are not going to be entirely playable with it.

What type of Xbox do you have? If it's the new slim model it has a built in wireless adapter, it's simply a case of going to the section in the menus, letting it search for your network and putting in your passcodes for your internet, and away you go. That'll give you the basic service on Live which doesn't cost anything and will let you input your bonus code (press the Guide button on your controller, hit left twice, hit 'Redeem Code' and input the 25 character code, it'll pop up what it entitles you to and then will download it when you confirm it). If you want to race people online you'll need a Gold subscription, £40 for a year, roughly, you can get deals sometimes on it and it also comes with bonuses like Gold member only offers and access to Facebook and twitter etc, and coming soon stuff like iPlayer.

If you've got an older model (i.e. not the slim), to connect wirelessly to the net requires an adapter which is still ludicrously priced - circa £60 on the high street. Goes second hand in Gamestation for £35-40, silly price but it is what it is. That clips on the back of the console and connects via the USB, then you set it up just like the new models built in one. If you have the older model and need one of these, make sure you get the black one, it's a lot better than the first one they released.

I've taken delivery of the new 'Wireless Speed Wheel' Microsoft have released today (thankfully at a bargain price ;)), not sure whether that's what you've bought Rob but er... well, I don't think I like it :oops:. I'm not sure whether it's not being used to it or what but a quick impression on Forza 3 and the Forza 4 demo has not left me impressed. The Dpad is hilariously bad, worse than the original controller one - I can press a direction fully and nothing happens. You really have to press it down seriously to get it to work. It's also missing the shoulder bumpers entirely making it slightly less useable, stuff like the F1 games where you're using a lot of buttons if you turn off some of the assists are not going to be entirely playable with it.

I'm guessing I've got the old one so I'll probably need to bring my xbox into the living room and plug it into the router to get my downloads right?

It was also the same wheel you bought. Amazon were offering a package deal so I took it. Reviews look mixed at the moment so I'll see how I get on with it when it gets here. I presume I won't get the game till tomorrow now, and there's no dispatch date for the wheel.

Do you reckon I should cancel the order? Would it be easy enough to play the game with a standard controller?

If it looks like one of these

Xbox360PriceCuts.jpg

then yeah plugging it into the router is the fast/cheap option - your downloads shouldn't take too long either.

If it looks like this

xbox360slim1.jpg

you've got wireless capability and you may as well set it up even if you're never going to bother with Gold- it's useful without paying for the Gold subscription, access to demos and add ons (which Forza will have an absolute boatload of- a Season Pass is already available to get the first 6 months of car downloads at a discounted price).

As for the Speed Wheel... I think letting it turn up and giving it a try is probably the best thing. In my brief crack with it, I don't like it though as said that may change with experience. If you don't get it on with it either I'm pretty sure Amazon have a decent returns policy.

Forza is completely fine with a controller, I've always played the series with a pad and have never had an issue, and if anything the new one is better than ever, especially with the sheer level of customisation you can get with the assists it offers - you can set it up the point it damn near drives itself if you're really not a great racing game player. I'd imagine most people set the assists like I do, ABS and Traction on, racing line off, auomatic transmission etc. Ultimately standard pad is what most people will play this with and while people with proper wheel set ups (i.e. things with pedals and shifters that cost in the region of £300) will have very very very slight advantages in time (early impressions seem suggest less than a second - ultimately immaterial, especially if your console is never going online) the pad is brilliant.

The Speed Wheel's big issue that I can see is that it has no feed back - you have to be intensely aware of your hand position and the controller has little to no way of letting you know. It has lights on the top that I think try to give some indication of where your hands are, and they also seem to provide feedback on braking and throttle intensity (I think). A proper, top of the line racing wheel has force feedback and will actively fight you which gives you an indication of whats going on with the car, how much you're gonna be able to get lock, even how much grip you're getting. The Speed Wheel can't do that. Playing Forza 3 I gave it a quick go on the simplist oval track I could find and I struggled to maintain an even line - exactly what a wheel is supposed to be able to do better than a pad. Could just be me, could just be my lack of familiarity with the bit of kit in my hands, but the impression I got was the thing only served to make me much, much worse at a game I was alright at.

But your mileage with it may be better - let it turn up, give it a crack, see what you make of it.

EDIT - I should add, in defence of the Wireless Speed Wheel, I've heard alot of stories that people who aren't big gamers really like it. My boss first used one at a conference a few weeks back and was telling us a couple of reps (not gamers) had used it and really gotten into it and gotten good with it, playing Forza. Another guy was deeply cynical of it (like I've been, and am), had a couple of goes and then they had to drag him off the thing.

Â