Predictions and general chat

BOF

From MMQB

[table]

[row][col][mcol]Rec[mcol]Yds[mcol]Avg[mcol]TD

[row]Lions[col]Calvin Johnson & Nate Burleson[col]169[col]2438[col]14.4[col]19

[row]Patriots[col]Rob Gronkowski & Aaron Hernandez[col]169[col]2237[col]13.2[col]24

[/table]

MMQB went for Rodgers in the MVP race

Maurice Jones-Drew and his rushing title. I don't know why I find such justice in that. I think it's because this was a year when the game was turning to the air so much, and the Jaguars had a chance to win only when the ball was in Jones-Drew's hands. There were only two teams in football that had the running game as their primary means of ball-movement: Jacksonville and Denver. And Jacksonville faced a packing of the line of scrimmage in a different way than the Broncos. Because Tim Tebow was a running threat, the eight-man boxes he faced had to be alert for option pitches and end runs, when safeties and linebackers needed to be set wide to be prepared for anything. In Jacksonville, Blaine Gabbert was not a runner, and he was no threat to pass the ball efficiently. This is why the title felt so good for Jones-Drew. He was facing the most concentrated defense he felt in his six-year career, and he was all of the Jaguar offense, for good and for bad.

"First time in my life I saw 10-man boxes,'' Jones-Drew told me. "Last week against Tennessee, we came out with two tight ends and two backs, and they had 10 in the box. That's unheard of in this league. The guys in front of me, I'm so happy for them, because they don't get the attention they deserve. I am lucky to play with them.''

For the season, Jones-Drew had 1,606 yards, 10 yards behind Arian Foster's league-leading total last year. And it was significant to him that the winning effort came against Indianapolis. He hates the Colts, and always will, because they drafted Joseph Addai over him in 2006. "Every game I ever play against the Colts will be special, and I don't care what's at stake,'' he said. "I always have something to prove against them.''

In mid-March 2006, the Miami Dolphins were trying to decide between trading for quarterback Daunte Culpepper with Minnesota or signing free agent quarterback Drew Brees of the Chargers. One problem: Brees was in the early stages of rehabbing after major shoulder surgery, an operation that left in doubt whether he'd be near 100 percent for the start of the 2006 season. Brees had a generous (all things considered) offer from New Orleans of six years and $60 million, which seemed a little risky considering the surgery.

On the night Miami had to decide which way to go, owner Wayne Huizenga was out to dinner with a friend in Palm City, Fla., not far from his personal golf club, The Floridian. "I want them to sign Brees,'' Huizenga said at one point. "They want Culpepper.'' He said coach Nick Saban and the Dolphins' football people were worried about Brees' shoulder. Huizenga got a call on his cell phone and walked outside.

When he came back inside the restaurant, Huizenga said his football people were insistent that Culpepper, for reasons monetary and football and health, was a better choice than Brees. "I told them, they're the football guys, not me,'' said Huizenga. But the owner repeated that if it were up to him, he'd have signed Brees.

Miami is 38-58 since, with zero playoff wins; the Dolphins will have their fifth head coach since that night (including interim boss Todd Bowles) sometime in the next month. New Orleans is 62-34, with a Super Bowl win, with one coach.

Amazing how much damage one shortsighted decision can do to an organization.

"Hey, about an hour ago, their D coordinator told us, told [offensive line coach Chris] Foerster, that if the Giants would have lost last week, they were in the playoffs. He didn't mention that they still had to beat us today. F--- him, f--- these guys, In 2012 the Redskins are gonna be the NFC East champions, and that starts right f------ today."

-- Washington offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan captured before the team's loss in the season finale at Philadelphia by Comcast SportsNet Washington.

I had another £100 on the Giants this week at 1.62. Through the last 4 weeks the only game where i didnt have £100 on the line was the Redskins which we lost, so needless to say i will be having £100 on the line this week and every week up until the Giants are either eliminated from the playoffs or win the Superbowl and me some serious monies!

3.0 @ Dallas, 2.3 @ Jets and 1.62 vs Dallas leaves me +£392! £350 has been withdrawn.

I had another £100 on the Giants this week at 1.62. Through the last 4 weeks the only game where i didnt have £100 on the line was the Redskins which we lost, so needless to say i will be having £100 on the line this week and every week up until the Giants are either eliminated from the playoffs or win the Superbowl and me some serious monies!

3.0 @ Dallas, 2.3 @ Jets and 1.62 vs Dallas leaves me +£392! £350 has been withdrawn.

You're **** mental.

I wouldn't put a fiver on the Giants!

Haven't had a bet in a while but will have a few on the play-offs.

I think the Lions to win the SB are a big price at 66/1 (William Hill). The Patriots, Saints and Packers have the worst 3 pass defense records in the league so I give the Lions a slim chance of beating all three (if NE gets to SB).

I'm having £20 on Texans (-3) 10/11, Lions (+10.5) 10/11, Falcons (+3) 5/6, Broncos (+9) 5/6, total odds just over 11/1

The P. Manning to the Jets for a king's ransom in draft picks rumors are gathering steam...

The wankfest over Peyton and Eli sharing a stadium (I can already see the **** TV commercials with Peyton bunking at Eli's house) will be absolutely unbearable.

Would be amusing, but I wonder if Peyton would go to New York as it might be treading on his brothers turf.

If he is traded then he will dictate where too and I think the Colts would owe him at least that. I doubt they send him within the AFC though which means perhaps the short list of potential destinations could be:

Washington and Philli from the East but I doubt he goes into the same division to compete directly with Eli.

Tampa wouldn't pay him and the offense really isn't there.

Chicago I doubt it but the Vikings could do as a dome team and all.

Most teams in the AFC West could use him and I think Arizona could be a good spot. Or even the 49ers, imagine Peyton with that defense! Alex Smith is a free agent also.

He'll want to play under a roof to pad his numbers, so...St. Louis or Houston.

Well there is no way they let him go within the division to the Texans and i dont think the Rams will give up on Bradford yet who has had a different coordinator his first 2 seasons and now again will do going into his 3rd.

Any of the other AFC West teams teams though might come calling imo.

Updating my chances:

[table]

[row][mcol]Make AFCCG[mcol]Win AFC[mcol]Win Super Bowl

[mrow]Patriots[col]81%[col]48%[col]23%

[mrow]Ravens[col]67[col]34[col]16

[mrow]Texans[col]33[col]15[col]6

[mrow]Broncos[col]19[col]3[col]1

[/table]

[table]

[row][mcol]Make NFCCG[mcol]Win NFC[mcol]Win Super Bowl

[mrow]Packers[col]73%[col]42%[col]22%

[mrow]49ers[col]54[col]27[col]15

[mrow]Saints[col]46[col]25[col]15

[mrow]Giants[col]27[col]6[col]2

[/table]

AFC to win Super Bowl: 46%

NFC to win Super Bowl: 54%

(which translates into a pointspread of NFC by about 1.5 or 2

Football Outsiders' odds

[table]

[row][mcol]Conference finalist[mcol]Conference champion[mcol]SB winner

[mrow]Patriots[col]81%[col]54%[col]26%

[mrow]Packers[col]72[col]42[col]24

[mrow]Saints[col]47[col]26[col]16

[mrow]49ers[col]53[col]24[col]12

[mrow]Ravens[col]65[col]26[col]10

[mrow]Texans[col]35[col]15[col]6

[mrow]Giants[col]28[col]9[col]4

[mrow]Broncos[col]19[col]5[col]2

[/table]

We get the NFL build-up with Berman, Ditka, Keyshawn, Carter & Jackson. But not the post-game. I find myself subconsciously trying to cough for Berman to remove his resident throat frog. Never works though.

Jon Kitna retires after 15[!!!!!] seasons in the NFL.

60.3% career completion percentage

169 TD

165 INT

29,745 yds (6.7 ypa)

77.4 rating

When you consider that he spent 3 seasons QBing the Bengals before Palmer took the reins and 2 more seasons with the Lions (season-ending injury 5 games into the 0-16 year), those numbers aren't bad.

Â