Match Thread

wedge

FFS, at work and forgot to even Sky+ this. Whats the score gents? Brief summary of game so far please?

0-0 mate.

Stan and Makoun bossed the midfield for 35-40 minutes and then tired badly.

Both sets of players just basically stopped playing in that last 5 minutes.

Makoun Gabby Stan the whole defence played well.

Heskey and Bannan - pretty awful.. there not wingers.. clearly.

Bent's been ok.. not done much.. not had many chances.

Collins ringing the sweat out of his shirt.

Good performance 1st half in torturous conditions.

Makoun looked good last week carried on for most of first half.

Short sharp passes, which is what he excels at.

Gabby's played well considering this is his first game.

More of a cutting edge please 2nd half.

I think it's been fairly impressive, hard to really take 30 minutes onwards too seriously just because of the extreme heat and tiredness. Weak players so far have been Heskey and Bannan for me. Although when I say weak, they haven't been bad. Just not really getting involved or doing too much.

Gabby has looked a bright spark.

FFS, at work and forgot to even Sky+ this. Whats the score gents? Brief summary of game so far please?

In summary..

Aston Villa have been in relative control over the first 45 minutes. We have been playing crisp and short passing football with some incredibly slick play. Either side has yet to score and in all fairness Blackburn have come closest with long shots from Dann testing Given. It's been a pretty controlled half that has played out more like a training match than anything.. What Villa have produced though is promising.

I was getting to page 9 or so and thought, wow - our so-called 'fans' haven't come out the woodwork to start aimlessly criticising players. Too much to hope for I guess.

I fully expected Blackburn to have put a few past us by now given how much fitter they are and us only having played one game prior to this but it's testament to our team that they haven't. Some good defending, Petrov and Makoun have complemented each other well and Bannan looks quality.

0-0

Villa were the better team for 35minutes of the 1st half. Controlled the game and played some nice football. Heat is a big issue, all the players looked dead on there feet for the last 5 mins of the half so a bit of hoof ball was done.

Pitch is shite.

Warnock emptied David Dunn big style.

Gabby, Makoun and Petrov looked bright in patches.

just watched the first half nothing exciting going on

given- not much to do

collins & Dunne- solid but do some risky things sometimes

young- good, wants to get forward(like kyle walker)

warnock- fine

petrov and makoun-seem very similar players very short passes and makoun always seems panicked on the ball

bannan-can deliver a good ball but like makoun seems to panic and doesnt always pick the right time to pass and run

heskey-not a winger

gabby- full of running good passing and movement

bent- dominated by samba and the pitch doesnt help

Gabby hopefully dispelling the myth that he can't play football. Picked up some good spaces and linked nicely, faded as expected as the half went on but promising.

Agreed, Gabby was very good in patches, just looked fooked for the last 10 minutes of the half.

Thought Gabby was our best threat first half. The defence looks OK with Collins pinging a few nice long passes (commentator said McLeish had spent time training the defence the previous evening).

Jean Deux has been quiet. Wee Barry looks a bit isolated out wide at times. The players were all sweating before a ball was kicked.

Everyone watching at home me included will not realise how hot it is there.. There is a reason they are doing pre-season there as it will get them into top shape incredibly fast.. Playing in that heat for 30 minutes is like playing 90 minutes in a typical Premier League game, I am not surprised that some players vanished in the closing minutes.