Gym Routine

olboydave

Nope. VT is the only forum I'm a member of. I've browsed the TNation forums before but found that I had to wade through a lot of shit to get to any decent information. Although I must admit that I didn't have the patience to spend much time on there so I'm sure there's some really good stuff to be found. I've learnt tons from the professional articles on their main site.

Ah theres a JB on TMuscle thought it was you lol

I've previously done a variation of GVT with sets of 6 x 12 instead of 10 x 10....found it to be very effective for gaining mass and the workouts were so intense I was also burning a lot of calories..strength wise I didn't make huge progress though but I would still recommend it.

However, currently doing a Push/Pull/Legs routine which includes heavy, medium and light weight exercises and is a 6 day split. It is without a doubt the most effective workout programme I have followed! It's such an ideal programme for maintaining, and even increasing, strength while on a cut. But the medium and light weight exercises also give a full look  of mass to the muscles too with Summer on the way!

Cheers chaps

This seems to be the most attractive variation I've found so far (I wouldn't necessarily stick to the exact exercises they suggest though. I couldn't do 10 sets of 10 pull ups for example)

First phase is only 6 weeks so when the time comes I may just try that first phase and see how I get on. If I like it and get results I'll plough on to phase 2 (phase 2 is a deload phase for 3 weeks) and then potentially onto their second variation which is slightly more intensive.

If you guys who have done it have the time to skim through that article and give me your impressions I'd be very grateful :)

Edited by Stevo985

I'm currently do a 3 week cycle.

Week 1: Lighter weights, 15/5/5 cadence - 5 seconds rest between sets.

Week 2: Heavy Weights, Sets of 8

Week 3: Middle Ground, Sets of 10

I find this is useful because Week 1 I get an amazing pump and the workouts are quick and intense. Week 2 is obviously useful for pushing PR's and heavy work and week 3 is good for focusing purely on contraction. I've found that each week has its benefits plus its also allowing my body to recover and keeping things interesting.

Each week is split like this:

Monday: Chest/Delts/Triceps

Tuesday: Back/Biceps/Forearms

Wednesday: Legs

Thursday: Off

Friday: Chest/Delts/Triceps

Saturday: Back/Biceps/Forearms

Sunday: Off

Edited by sexbelowsound

Cheers chaps

This seems to be the most attractive variation I've found so far (I wouldn't necessarily stick to the exact exercises they suggest though. I couldn't do 10 sets of 10 pull ups for example)

First phase is only 6 weeks so when the time comes I may just try that first phase and see how I get on. If I like it and get results I'll plough on to phase 2 (phase 2 is a deload phase for 3 weeks) and then potentially onto their second variation which is slightly more intensive.

If you guys who have done it have the time to skim through that article and give me your impressions I'd be very grateful :)

Just reading through that. I like the sound of it....

I can see why people might find it a tad boring though.

Looks sound. They've stuck to the basic principles. Quite often when someone gives their "take" on GVT it ends up changing some fundamentals of the original program. That said, I tailored my exercise selection a little. Didn't do abs on leg day and stuck an extra leg exercise in there and did core work at the end of a session or two a week. I didn't do the 10x10 either. Like I said, went with the lower reps/heavier weights. Searching for 'advanced GVT' should take you to the TNation article.

• Like 1

Yeah i've found numerous articles but they always seem to change something, like make it all supersets or something. I wanted just the basics and then I can tailor it myself.

I'll use the main compound lifts for the exercises. I'll stick largely to what that article says, but I couldn't do 10 sets of 10 pull ups. I can barely manage one set of 10!

The T Nation one sounds like something I'd be interested in. But I may do the normal GVT first, have a few weeks off and maybe move onto that one.

I'm looking at a long bulk hopefully so I'll have room for it.

Edited by Stevo985

Ah one thing that I didn't notice in that article was that the two main exercises should be supersetted with each other. Not as knackering as it sounds! There's loads of science backing up the effect of antagonistic supersets. My routine at the moment is based on them.

Yep, that's what I did and I'm pretty sure it's a fundamental of the original program. It's not as hard as it sounds. I wasn't quite sure about his guidelines on rest... Couldn't figure out whether he was saying to rest 90 seconds between every exercise or between each superset. I started off resting between each exercise but found that I was ready to go pretty much straight away so only rested after each superset. Didn't affect my lifts.

Edited by JB

I'm not worried about it being hard to achieve. It's more the awkwardness of doing it in my gym.

We only have one squat rack so nobody is going to appreciate me hogging it whilst I run upstaris to do some leg curls :D

Yeah that's a ballache. I always choose my supersets based on exercises that I can do on the same equipment or in the same area. Quite lucky to have a gym with loads of squat racks so I did my front squats on one next to the leg curl. In fairness, I'm pretty sure it's not essential to do them as supersets but it certainly saves a lot of time!

Edited by JB

I'll have a think and a read about that.

I'd rather not do supersets out of convenience. I have no problem with it other than hassle at the gym.

But don't want to not do it that way if it's essential.

Anyway, it's a couple of months until I'll be doing this so it's all a bit premature.

Anyone ever watched Generation Iron on Netflix? There's a bodybuilder in it called Branch Warren (comes across as a total knob). Think he's comes in the top few at Mr. Olympia most years. Anyway, I've just walked into my gym and he's sitting in reception!

• Like 1

Due to a hamstring injury (a real bad one - like 3 years) I been doing very light strength work in the gym, finally seems to be working.

However I would like to up the Ante - and build some upper body muscle (that looks good). I am well over 50 though and don't want to injure myself (have a history of back problems, and a recent hernia repair) - Ive been doing:-

Curls

Bench Presses

and some stuff for those muscles at the back of the arms

Up to 3 sets of 10 3 x times per week

I don't see myself as one of those guys going 'Urgggghhhhhhhh' as they bench press a massive weight, that seems a sure fire way to injure myself ! - any programs I should follow - most of literature seems for younger guys or someone not blighted by injury as much as myself...

My honest advice would be to find yourself a good trainer. Do some research, look for testimonials and ask about their experience of working with someone such as yourself. There are some absolute turds out there masquerading as trainers. Given your age and injury history, if they don't give you a movement and postural assessment prior to giving you a program then I would recommend finding another. It won't necessarily have to be a long term thing either. They should just put you on the right track.

Anyone ever been to a 'Pure Gym' before.

I've just realised the one near me is 24 hour and as I prefer to work when gyms are quieter this is ideal.

Dumbbells only go up to 36kg though so i'm not expecting any serious lifters there. Maybe just the Cross Fit crowd.

There's one in Birmingham city centre by five ways. I've not been but a friend has and from what she said it's as you say, mostly cardio and machines with not much choice in the way of free weights.

Very cheap though. And the 24 hours could come in very handy for some people.

Â