What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Andrew Gold. It's OK, but still trails behind The Dukes of Stratosfear and The Rutles. 

Also more impressive that Gold did 99% of singing, writing, playing and producing on his own.

On the turntable now is my "main" gift of this Christmas, and I had no idea I was getting it.

spacer.png

Box set with 3 LPs, 1 45 and various booklets and paraphernalia all complete

• Like 2

Edwin Astley - Randall and Hopkirk Deceased, Original Soundtrack Selections

As well as being the composer of TV themes and incidental music, Astley was Pete Townsend's Father-in-law, the father 80s artist Virginia Astley (of the Ravishing Beauties and solo - Bunnymen /Teardrops connection here too) and Jon Astley, who whilst he did release a few records is best known as a producer and remastering expert (he remastered The WHO’s back catalogue)

image.jpeg

Christmas vinyl this afternoon 

image.png.985878834ff0a76478c657129fd791d3.png

It swings for me, today... They're underrated as ****, for at 39 put oasis on their own tier then that's as chasing top of the next tier down 

image.png.01849ba4f5cfcff2e1da09c492a9e9c0.png

Illmatic played with the Washington orchestra, said in the other thread about hip hop and live bands, this is one of the best hip hop albums ever played with a live orchestra, it's stunning it's incredible it's everything I could ever want hip hop to be it's pinnacle stuff, RSD exclusive that my gran somehow managed to get her hands on :ph34r:

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

Only bought that today too.

Got the 'Jason King'. 'Zoo Gang' and 'The Protectors'.

Laurie Johnson, Ken Thorne and KPM legend John Cameron respectively.

They could be from the telly audio masters? There's quite a lot of mono iirc?

I like them. They are actually bespoke, but there's not the sweet step up in sound quality like, let's say 'The Sweeney', where the tunes came from a library, and the library will want a legit release to sound nice.

image.png.4aa708c09e72e0a2bf3d39055db635cf.png

I bit the bullet and got one of my favourite live albums ever, it's a reissue and I'm still on the hunt for an original but I've looked for years without a sniff 

Another pinnacle live album, watch the documentary two killings of Sam Cooke on how this album is "blacker" than what his record label wanted 

Id say this ranks higher than the other soul live albums I've got by otis and marvin, I've explored James brown but not dipped in to the vinyl yet 

image.png.d884833684fc1dd005734f559123b559.png

Get this album 

I knew about 3 of the songs before I listened to it but like straight from the intro it's so confident and bang on, this guys way out ahead of anyone else imo I feel a colection coming on, it's just I want more and more, he should be bigger 

Another of those oh look back catalogue vinyl releases can be reasonably priced days.

Classic Hard Bop album Brilliant Corners by Thelonious Monk, on black 180g vinyl, Priced at the almost reasonable just under £17

Yes, it’s where the Bristol based Indie Poppers got their name from.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Oh look, another almost reasonably priced album (£14.99)

Dr Alimantado - Love Is

A compilation of his work with Lee Perry, King Tubby, Joe Gibbs… featuring everyone humanly possible, I think every reggae studio musician you've ever heard of is on here somewhere, even Jah Woosh (for another On-U connection), Augustus Pablo, Revolutionaries,Upsetters, oh everyone… Earliest track is 1971 latest is 1983

Dr Alimantado was popular with the punks, John Lydon praised him (probably during his Jamaican Frontline A&R sojourn) and The Clash even name checked him song, Rudie Can't Fail (“Like the a doctor that was born for a purpose”)

image.jpeg

Â