• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

For me Martinez ticks a lot of the boxes...

1) Prem experience.

2) Recent Prem experience

3) Likable manager who players respect

4) Desire to play attractive football

5) Can work with a budget

6) Works with the Board to develop the club. Not just rinse the coffers then run off at the first sign of trouble.

If it's not to be Moyes then RM would get my full backing.

Totally agree.... Exemplorary handling of pressure too.

Contrast his behaviour in the lead up to Survival Sunday with blabber mouth Holloway. Quiet, dignified and when the game came, looked to attack and get the 3 points.

Could do a lot worse.... If he gets the job, he has my full support.

il actually be delighted if he gets it. Theres a freshness about him and cant understand why anyone wouldnt want him

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Prem experience.

6) Works with the Board to develop the club. Not just rinse the coffers then run off at the first sign of trouble.

Agreed - it's a risk, but one worth taking.

1) Prem experience.

Agree.

Would also add

7) Handles the media and expections well

8) Doesn't moan when things don't go his way or hide behind excuses

Dave Whelan interview on SSN -

"Villa fans should be very proud of the way their club handles matters. If every club behaved like Aston Villa football would be a much better place to be!"

Wonder if he will still think that if we go back for their best players too?

I'm proud of the way Randy runs our club, its rare it seems these days.

People like to moan how dodge Arry is then then dont want Randy to be a good bloke when it comes to the business side of things, again which is it?

Also why is it always the worst case scenario when it comes to things.

Martinez doesn't come, automatically means Randy has failed he has been rejected.

Not we talked to him and decided not to offer him the job.

Its like a bloody car crash everyone slows down to have a look but are not interested if no car crash.

1) Prem experience.

I agree completely.

Moyes or Martinez. The other realistic options don't excite me. These two do, in different ways.

Moyes for his work at Everton and the fact that he is an established Prem manager, has good transfer experience with little money & always gets his team playing 100% for the cause, much like MON did.

Martinez because I think we're a big enough club that he could be with us for years and years and could build a good team, if given time by the fans. He likes to play a passing game and if he has bigger funds available for better defenders, could start a new revolution at Villa.

Players from previous clubs?

Moyes - Baines & Jagielka

Martinez - N'Zogbia &... McCarthy? Rodallega?

1) Prem experience.

Contrast his behaviour in the lead up to Survival Sunday with blabber mouth Holloway. Quiet, dignified and when the game came, looked to attack and get the 3 points.

il actually be delighted if he gets it. Theres a freshness about him and cant understand why anyone wouldnt want him

I remember his first game for Wigan at VP. Watching him on the touchline, he looked calm and assured. Just had the right look about him as he directed things from the touchline.

Quite the contrary of O'Neill who didn't seem to have a plan b and was just barking out instructions and stamping his feet

Just been reading the Times WebCast with Gary Jacob, who is their "transfer specalist' and he seemd to have a fairly strong insight on a lot of the current transfer dealings i.e. Lukaku to Chelsea (talks ongoing) Parker to Spurs (Wants to stay down south).... Anyway he kept saying Villa didn't have much money to spend this summer so I asked him (and below is his response)

Comment From Harry

Gary, you seem fairly certain Villa have little money to spend, are you basing this assumption on Benitez turning us down? I have it on fairly good authority that Benitez was never an option for the board due to his controversial managerial style (to similar to MON)? From the sale of Young, Milner and Barry coupled with a hugely decreased wage bill surely we have a bit of cash about?

Thursday June 9, 2011 13:22

Gary Jacob:

So far as I know Rafa spoke to the Lerner on the tell yesterday and go little imression that the club had ambitions to be in the CL in the short term and that they would be money to spend. Villa announced a 37m loss in March, to may 2010.

I am not saying he is right, but is slightly concerning. can anyone shed any light on how much we have to spend?

1) Prem experience.

I agree completely.

Moyes or Martinez. The other realistic options don't excite me. These two do, in different ways.

Moyes for his work at Everton and the fact that he is an established Prem manager, has good transfer experience with little money & always gets his team playing 100% for the cause, much like MON did.

Martinez because I think we're a big enough club that he could be with us for years and years and could build a good team, if given time by the fans. He likes to play a passing game and if he has bigger funds available for better defenders, could start a new revolution at Villa.

Players from previous clubs?

Moyes - Baines & Jagielka

Martinez - N'Zogbia &... McCarthy? Rodallega?

You forgot Figueroa from Wigan and maybe their keeper

Christ we are turning into Wigan lol

To be consistent Tom, I disagree :winkold:.. I can understand why people wouldn't want him.

But I'm with you on the other part. I'd be delighted if he was our manager. He's fresh and exciting.

We could appoint someone like Hughes who will probably establish us in the Top 10... or we could go for a risk like Martinez and, with his philosophy, have a higher and lower glass ceiling.

With investment, I think he could do a good job with us.

Just been reading the Times WebCast with Gary Jacob, who is their "transfer specalist' and he seemd to have a fairly strong insight on a lot of the current transfer dealings i.e. Lukaku to Chelsea (talks ongoing) Parker to Spurs (Wants to stay down south).... Anyway he kept saying Villa didn't have much money to spend this summer so I asked him (and below is his response)

Comment From Harry

Gary, you seem fairly certain Villa have little money to spend, are you basing this assumption on Benitez turning us down? I have it on fairly good authority that Benitez was never an option for the board due to his controversial managerial style (to similar to MON)? From the sale of Young, Milner and Barry coupled with a hugely decreased wage bill surely we have a bit of cash about?

Thursday June 9, 2011 13:22

Gary Jacob:

So far as I know Rafa spoke to the Lerner on the tell yesterday and go little imression that the club had ambitions to be in the CL in the short term and that they would be money to spend. Villa announced a 37m loss in March, to may 2010.

I am not saying he is right, but is slightly concerning. can anyone shed any light on how much we have to spend?

Brilliant, you do realise that people will take that as gospel dont you?

I'd only take baines, coleman and rodwell out of everton tbf, im sure if it was moyes he'd see they would be the only impactful and relevant players to our squad.

Can't believe what people have against Martinez. I've always respected his work, without him Wigan wouldve gone down for sure. Worked his way up from Swansea and is very young, dont forget that. Was a great player in the lower divisions and knows the english game, aswell as the rest of the world which he has shown with some very interesting bargains that almost no one had heard of before. Yes, some didnt work out (Boselli) but give me a manager who only buys players that were awesome. Doesnt exist.

We might as well aim for Di Matteo as well if people think a young promising people who play attractive football is the way forward. He's no worse than Roberto Martinez. He got the sack because obviously West Brom didn't give him enough time (despite promoting them and beating teams like Arsenal away), where as Dave Whelan has given Martinez all the time in the world and it paid off. The same logic could have applied to Matteo too. It's fair to say Hodgson did a better job at West Brom and I'm sure he would have done the same at Wigan if the same scenario arrived.

So how about it. Di Matteo as well? Or am I sensing double standards just because his name isn't floating about?

1) Prem experience.

I remember his first game for Wigan at VP. Watching him on the touchline, he looked calm and assured. Just had the right look about him as he directed things from the touchline.

Quite the contrary of O'Neill who didn't seem to have a plan b and was just barking out instructions and stamping his feet

He looks like he belongs on the cover of Football Manager.

1) Prem experience.

ill give him my full backing too, however the problem is he is not a big enough name to attract high profile players to take us to the next level or to talk the likes of Downing etc into staying. Its a massive negative that outweights all his positives. Its not ambitious in the slightest.

Martinez is a risk, undoubtedly.

But I really like his approach to the game and the way he has Wigan playing. I think it will build on the changes Houllier started to implement. If he can get Wigan playing that sort of pass and move football what can he do with Makoun, Delph, Bannan, Clark, Downing, Bent etc?

I am also massively impressed with his ability to motivate players and cope during 'crunch' games. Unbeaten in the last four under the sort of pressure he was facing? And sticking successfully to the attacking syle of play.

Main doubts for me are over transfers - has he got the contacts and eye for talent required? And is he a big enough draw for the players we want to attract?

Also, defensively Wigan were awful at times last season. That would be a worry given how poor we ourselves were.

But, if we have genuinely ruled out Rafa, with Jol gone and Ancelotti ruled out I think he is a strong, long-term appointment.

I would definitely have him as manager over Schteve or Hughes. Not in terms of achievements to date but in terms of the characteristics above and the way that I'd like to see Villa play. Ultimately I think he could take us just as far as Hughes but it would be a much more enjoyable ride. Whether that's far enough who can say but I think his appointment, if it happens, makes a lot of sense.

I'd also say that rather than a lack of ambition it speaks of a long-term approach to the club from the board.