Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Chindie

I'm more looking forward to Battlefield, that might change when this gets closer to release, but CoD is coming to the end of its life IMO.

I played the last Battlefield for a few hours and got bored. Some of the maps were just far too big and you'd barely see anyone, vehicles are never a good idea either. World at War had issues with those 2 things on some maps, so I just wouldn't play them.

I'm more looking forward to Battlefield, that might change when this gets closer to release, but CoD is coming to the end of its life IMO.

Might? You said exactly the same last year. You WILL buy it.

Although its easy to say the series will go down the pan now the original IW staff have left, who know's what the new ones, aswell as the other two studio's Activision have got working on it can do?

I'm not even going to bother saying i'm not going to buy into all the usual hype because I will, it's a definite purchase for me, fingers crossed they produce something good.

Nothing comes close as far as multiplayer is concerned. Killzone 3 is the best fps single player i've played, COD nails the multiplayer. Although Battlefield is good, you can't really run and gun, it relies a lot more on team work and it's a bit slower in terms of pace. The new Battlefield does look good though.

Examples?

Infinity Ward (Well, West and Zampella, but for all intents and purposes they ARE IW). First by EA. Then by Activision and probably by EA again sometime soon. Although they are only EA Partners this time around rather than actually owned by EA/Activision.

To be honest. Respawn Entertainment will probably create the next big thing. They did it with Medal of Honor and CoD anyway..

Can't see Battlefield taking off in a big way again as that must-have console shooter.. Their tech is good but the brand name just doesnt seem to have it with the mass audience. Maybe a change in name to make it seem new could work

BEsides, how are they releasing Modern Warfare 3 when West and Zampella own the rights to the Modern Warfare name not EA? + they own the rights to any Call of Duty based after Vietnam (modern war). HAve I missed a major step in the legal battle where EA suddenly own these things again?

The rights to the Call of Duty franchise are owned by Activision, which includes the Modern Warfare series.

Infinity Ward never had any dealings with EA, the company that they spawned from did.

Also there is a considerable argument that Infinity Ward brought some of their issues on themselves, hence Activision being in court v West and Zampella.

I know, West and Zampella were the main ones though at IW and the team before that, was just referring to them as IW, as thats what most know them as.

Anyway. Yes Activision own the rights to Call of Duty. But when the legal battle first started Activision owned the rights to Call of Duty. But West + Zampella themselves owned the rights to the name 'Modern Warfare' and also owned the rights to any 'Call of Duty' game based after Vietnam.

That is how it stood when West + Zampella took them to court and vice versa. Then W+Z's argument was that bonuses were held back considerably and Acti were looking for a reason to fire them and made it impossible to work there, bodyguards on the doors, searching their files etc.

And Acti's argument was that W+Z broke contract and tried to talk to EA and other potential partners whilst under contract. Not really fussed either way to be honest but anything that stops Activision being able to whore out another franchise is a win for me.

Examples?

Infinity Ward (Well, West and Zampella, but for all intents and purposes they ARE IW). First by EA. Then by Activision and probably by EA again sometime soon. Although they are only EA Partners this time around rather than actually owned by EA/Activision.

And Infinity Ward were in a stronger position than Bungie were?

Lets have some perspective here. Last year Bungie were in the equivalent position of Leo Messi being out of contract.

Depends what you mean by more like MW2 than Black Ops.

More arcadey I guess. I just thought MW2 was more fast paced and liked the graphics. Even little things like the XP bar and the XP gains when you killed someone (the way they looked when they appeared). Little things but still...

Don't know why, Halo is crap, I can think of a few fps i'd rather play. Sony have a better exclusive in Killzone.

Whether you personally like it or not is academic here. You can't argue with Halo's sales figures, or its impact and influence on the industry. Bungie are serious players in all of this and with Activision's marketing and distribution behind them and the fact that their next game will be multi platform, they could be the guys who hammer the final nail into Call of Duties coffin.

This Call of Duty game has more to prove than any other. It might be brilliant of course, but given everything that has happened with Infinity Ward there are a lot of unanswered questions. This really could be the last one that sells 10m+ copies.

It depends what type of shooter Bungie make, if it's another one set in space or where ever the **** it is, with soldiers in robot suits and gay guns, I don't think it'll kill COD, as you'll still have people like me, who want a war based shooter.

I do wish the COD series was going to continue in the hands of Infinity Ward as they were onto something good (do one Treyarch fanboys before you start).

I do wish the COD series was going to continue in the hands of Infinity Ward as they were onto something good (do one Treyarch fanboys before you start).

They were, with CoD4.

Anyway, the only reason this still sells so well is that every other shooter has to do there own thing, and CoD have pretty much got it nailed already. I can't see that changing, Battlefield is its only rival but that's a different sort of game.

Depends what you mean by more like MW2 than Black Ops.

More arcadey I guess. I just thought MW2 was more fast paced and liked the graphics. Even little things like the XP bar and the XP gains when you killed someone (the way they looked when they appeared). Little things but still...

On that kinda thing, **** knows. I'd guess they'd try to ape the older MW2 style, but we dunno quite what IW is now, or what the other guys who may be working on this would do to it. Looking at the early concepts and whatnot, I'm already feeling it's headed towards a slightly less...realistic I guess... look to it. It looks ever so slightly more stylised.

More teasers,

and
now.

Ugh.

Also, the logo they've come up looks like something someone who failed Graphics at GCSE would come up with.