Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Bents record in the Premiership speaks for itself .

McLeish's record does not.

We cannot, under any circumstances decide the future of our manager based on one player.

Mcliesh, Mourinho or Brian Clough - Darren Bent will not care about AVFC like you and I do. Its his job. He will up and leave at the drop of a hat at the very sniff of more money. Get over it. Their tossers. Do not worship them.

I don't know if you'd noticed, but McLeish not getting the best out of Bent is just one of many reasons why people want McLeish gone.

Yes Im aware of that. But we are talking about Darren Bent.

And my point is that if its a toss up between:

getting rid of a player because his style of play doesnt quite fit the managers

or

getting rid of the manager because he cant get the best out of a player

Id choose the player to leave every time. Maybe if it was Messi then you think twice, but its Darren Bent FFS. He really isnt that good. Hes not scored since you came on here wondering where I was after his groundbreaking brace at home to Norwich :D

And Like I said, Id prefer to keep the person who looks like he wants to be here anyway.

Not to mention the fact that Mcliesh wont be sacked anyway.

Villa fans arguing about how many career goals Darren Bent has :lol: Jesus Christ, who cares!?

To be honest, I'm not bothered whether he stays or not anymore. To me, it is inevitable he will leave, if not in January, then definitely in the summer.

We've seen this so many times before, particularly in recent years. Yorke, Barry, Downing, Young, Milner etc etc. Will he, won't he? I'm bored of it - of course he will leave unless we suddenly find our spending power again. And that is simply not going to happen.

Bent's Premier League record is brilliant, no doubting it. On paper, he's up there with the very best and last season his goals were vital to us. But, personally speaking, he's just not my kind of player in the slightest. I hate his lack of work ethic, I hate how awful his body language has been this season, and I hate how, unless he's in the six yard box, he contributes absolutely nothing to the team. When he doesn't score, it's like playing with ten men to put it bluntly.

An attacker with a record as good as his should be playing in the Sky4 - on the face of it. That's until you realise he has so many other flaws to his game. He's not a footballer; he's a goal poacher - plain and simple. It's these flaws which mean he will always float around clubs such as Spurs, Villa and Sunderland.

I do also realise, from his point of view, that working with Alex McLeish on a day-to-day basis must be soul destroying as well as having the club's two most creative assets being sold from under you. He must have thought: "What the hell have I got myself into?". We've lost bigger and better players in the past however and moved on, and I'm more than resigned to the same happening here.

I firmly believe we'll take a financial loss on him and he'll move back to the bright lights of London under QPR's new regime, which does seem to have significant financial backing.

Ironically, I think in a top 4 side his deficiencies would be less of an issue and be better hidden. But playing in such an average side as were are at the moment, we need more from what is sometimes our only striker, than to be effective just in the six yard box. We need an all rounder, like Gabby, who not only scores but contributes other things to the team.

It was a great move, in theory, and the £18m we paid for him saved us losing £40m+ had we been relegated. So, in that respect, we got our money's worth. But I just don't think it's working out now and I won't be surprised nor too disappointed when he's gone.

I genuinely feel sorry for the fans who still care so much that they are debating whether these (so-called) injuries are just a smokescreen for him leaving. This is what the Club does to people, turns us into paranoid freaks.

*Places tin hat on head and sits patiently waiting*

Good post, pretty much how I feel about him.

or

Id choose the player to leave every time. Maybe if it was Messi then you think twice, but its Darren Bent FFS. He really isnt that good. Hes not scored since you came on here wondering where I was after his groundbreaking brace at home to Norwich

And Like I said, Id prefer to keep the person who looks like he wants to be here anyway.

When we signed Bent we finally got a player to be proud of again, a player everyone dreamed of signing. The nearest thing to a star and a poacher we could get.

McLeish will never ever be here in two years.... so in my opinion your view is a bit flawed. Just because he is not scoring and is injured of late, which is highly correlated of course (playing when not 100% etc) - does not mean he is crap and wants to leave.

We got to keep Bent and get rid of McLeish. Easy as that if you ask me.

I'd rather keep the one who can do more for the club and that is Bent.

But he cant do anything unless hes interested which imo he isnt. He doesnt look bothered.

Now I agree with a lot, that it must be frustrating for him, but thats life. Sometimes work is frustrating for all of us. Just get on with it.

But he cant do anything unless hes interested which imo he isnt. He doesnt look bothered.

Now I agree with a lot, that it must be frustrating for him, but thats life. Sometimes work is frustrating for all of us. Just get on with it.

He isn't the problem, the manager is.

Im not necessarily disputing that - but is the board going to sack Mcliesh?

However, for 70k a week, the least I would expect from Darren Bent is 110% to the cause - regardless of how much he believes in the tactics.

For me, he isnt showing that, and thats 1 of the reasons hes not playing well and a big reason for why if he left, I would not be bothered.

The football/Manager is not going to change - He clearly doesnt suit it, were not scoring with him or without him. We dont use him when hes playing, we dont miss him when hes not playing. Might as well cash in.

However, for 70k a week, the least I would expect from Darren Bent is 110% to the cause - regardless of how much he believes in the tactics.

For me, he isnt showing that, and thats 1 of the reasons hes not playing well and a big reason for why if he left, I would not be bothered.

The football/Manager is not going to change - He clearly doesnt suit it, were not scoring with him or without him. We dont use him when hes playing, we dont miss him when hes not playing. Might as well cash in.

I agree with some if not most of your logic but not your conclusion.

The departure of Bent will be a significant step backwards for this club in terms of its stature and supposed ambitions.

We are already seen as a selling club but if we "cash in" on Bent, and I suspect we would take a loss on him then we might as well just give up although I suspect Randy already has.

Selling Bent would be the final nail in the coffin for me and I think would see us as a club sink further into the downward spiral we are already on. I also hate to think of what McLeish will do with the money.

Since when did we as a club or as a fan base start thinking about "cashing in" on our best players? Surely we as fans aren't supposed to be bothered about wage bills, about the balance between income and outgoings? We are supposed to bothered about winning game, about trying to be successful.

Football is so **** these days that it seems people aren't all that bothered about that any more, its not about spread sheets and balances its about winning games.

We quite simply stand a better chance of that with Bent at the club than we do with McLeish spending the money on different players.

I'm actually resigned to Bent going, I think he will go in January or the summer but I'm not about to accept it or welcome it. I'm certainly not going to see it as a good thing that we are cashing in.

You are right McLeish isn't going anywhere any time soon but it won't stop me wanting the man out and wanting us to keep our best players.

we dont miss him when hes not playing.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

5 goals in 14 games, not great but still our joint topscorer. The team is crap, Darren Bent will always look crap due to lack of help up front. But we will always be better with the best players on the pitch. He will tap in easy chances because that is what he do. Besides, the alternatives are FAR away from being in his class. You do not get better when you leave out your best players, you should instead adapt to get him more into the games. Injury is not the same as being crap or lacking motivation.

Oh on this point about us not missing him....

If he had been playing the other night at Stoke we would probably have won because he would have been on hand when Sorenson spilled that freekick from N'Zogbia. McLeish himself was bemoaning the fact nobody had the hunger to score, that nobody had followed in, that nobody had the poachers instinct.

Well Bent has it and had he been on the pitch I think he would have scored and probably won.

We would have less points this season without Bent and his goals and we have less points because of his injury, to say we don't miss him when he isn't playing is none sense in my view.

I agree with some if not most of your logic but not your conclusion.

The departure of Bent will be a significant step backwards for this club in terms of its stature and supposed ambitions.

We are already seen as a selling club but if we "cash in" on Bent, and I suspect we would take a loss on him then we might as well just give up although I suspect Randy already has.

Selling Bent would be the final nail in the coffin for me and I think would see us as a club sink further into the downward spiral we are already on. I also hate to think of what McLeish will do with the money.

Since when did we as a club or as a fan base start thinking about "cashing in" on our best players? Surely we as fans aren't supposed to be bothered about wage bills, about the balance between income and outgoings? We are supposed to bothered about winning game, about trying to be successful.

Football is so **** these days that it seems people aren't all that bothered about that any more, its not about spread sheets and balances its about winning games.

We quite simply stand a better chance of that with Bent at the club than we do with McLeish spending the money on different players.

I'm actually resigned to Bent going, I think he will go in January or the summer but I'm not about to accept it or welcome it. I'm certainly not going to see it as a good thing that we are cashing in.

You are right McLeish isn't going anywhere any time soon but it won't stop me wanting the man out and wanting us to keep our best players.

I think thats a great post Trent.

I totally agree when you say its **** up as we have stopped caring about the football, whih is the reason I often wonder why people are so bothered about the lack of communication from the club?

Ya know, the games at 3. Heres who were playing and this is the team sheet. What more do we need to know?

I too am resigned to Bent leaving - my thoughts of it are more inevitable than a welcome. However Ive never really rated him so I suppose I would accept it quicker than most.

Your point regarding him scoring against Stoke - I think thats a bold statement to say he would have scored. However I do agree, he would have been more likely than the rest in that situation.

That said, my initial point regarding not missing him was more a shite with him/shite without him opinion.

Bent needs to play when we have Gabby, CNZ and Albrighton (preferably Junior Hoilett) attacking with him.

I would have put money on Bent putting away the chance Delfouneso had too as he had to stretch to get the shot away and had no control. Bent would've been there and smashed the ball into the net.

Selling Bent would be foolish. We need to get rid of the likes of Ireland, Beye, Hutton, Collins & Heskey before we even consider losing our best striker.

Your point regarding him scoring against Stoke - I think thats a bold statement to say he would have scored. However I do agree, he would have been more likely than the rest in that situation.

Yes in fairness it is mate, I'm 100% certain though he would have been in the right place because he always is in those situations although granted its perhaps unfair to say he would have scored.

I'd he'd been playing though and you pressed pause on him reacting to that spilled ball admit it you would have backed him to score rather than not.

Regarding the rest of your post, as normal there is much I can agree with or at least understand the logic of even if our overall stance is a little different.

I think ultimately as normal are views aren't all that far apart, especially in regards Bent's, McLeish's and our futures.

Bents record in the Premiership speaks for itself .

McLeish's record does not.

We cannot, under any circumstances decide the future of our manager based on one player.

Mcliesh, Mourinho or Brian Clough - Darren Bent will not care about AVFC like you and I do. Its his job. He will up and leave at the drop of a hat at the very sniff of more money. Get over it. Their tossers. Do not worship them.

I don't know if you'd noticed, but McLeish not getting the best out of Bent is just one of many reasons why people want McLeish gone.

or

Id choose the player to leave every time. Maybe if it was Messi then you think twice, but its Darren Bent FFS. He really isnt that good. Hes not scored since you came on here wondering where I was after his groundbreaking brace at home to Norwich :D

Not to mention the fact that Mcliesh wont be sacked anyway.

Actually, it's a case of

get rid of the player because his style of player doesn't fit the manager's

or

get rid of the manager because he can't get the best out of said player, often can't motivate the team, is tactically inept, poor in the transfer market, plays negative anti-football etc etc. The list goes on. The only "benefit" of getting rid of Bent is that his style of play doesn't fit the manager's, but even then that's hardly a benefit. Getting rid of McLeish automatically reaps tons of benefits.

How many games has he played since Norwich? Not many. How many of those games did we even make an attempt to attack? None. The problem here is the manager whether you like it or not.

For years, no maybe DECADES us lot have grumbled about not having a goalscorer. We whined about always having forwards that did everything BUT score ...

Now we finally HAVE one, some folks seem to want to reinvent him from the outstanding goalscorer he is into some sort of playmaker

It could only happen on a Villa board

:lol:

Â