Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Im not saying he cant score against them, cos that would be silly given that hes proven he can.

My point is, could darren Bent adapt his game enough to score consistently against a top side over a season. After a few games, man utd would know his game and shut him out as they would with anyboby admittedly, but Id be more confident that - Torres (when on form), rooney, Villa, Tevez, Messi, Drogba, Ronaldo etc (who I believe to be the best strikers in the world) would be able to adapt there game more than Bent to score more often.

Read the article posted earlier which highlights Bent goal scoring against the top 6 sides. He has consistently scored against them all over the last three seasons (20 goals in 27 games I think) and that is playing in a Villa and Sunderland side that will be typically getting less possession/pressure than if he were playing in, say, a Man U or Chelski side.

Bent is a goalscorer. Give him the ball in the right positions and he will finish as well, and probably better, than any other forward in the Premier League. That doesn't mean I'm saying he is a better player than Wazza or Messi as they have a lot more to their game but he does this one thing very very well and it is the one thing that we Villa fans have always said that we need.

It would be really interesting to see how many Bent would score in a Man U team or a Chelski team (not that I would want this to happen obviously), but I suppose we are seeing this to some extent with him having the England jersey with Wazza behind him and a strong midfield.

This is a silly argument, why can't we just be happy that we have a player who bangs the goals in like nobodies business and stop trying to compare him to someone who is widely recognised as one of the best players in the world (Rooney)?

The Understudy & Barry's Boots

I didnt say he couldnt score against them as he as already proved it. It was a way of highlighting how others can adapt there game more - which you agree with BB's.

Your post BB's is a good one, and supports what I said yesterday that darren Bent has the potential to be a world class 'goalscorer' and hopefully hel be given the chance to prove so!

This is a silly argument, why can't we just be happy that we have a player who bangs the goals in like nobodies business and stop trying to compare him to someone who is widely recognised as one of the best players in the world (Rooney)?

I didnt realise we wernt happy :?

And in fact its nice to have a decent debate about somebody we all like, as the horrible and ridiculous insults dont come into play

You use the fact that Bent has scored what?? the 3rd most goals in the league over 5 years a lot

incorrect

NOBODY has scored more than darren bent in the league over the last 5 years at this point in time

he's bypassed both rooney and drogba

You use the fact that Bent has scored what?? the 3rd most goals in the league over 5 years a lot

incorrect

NOBODY has scored more than darren bent in the league over the last 5 years at this point in time

question marks for a reason.

In more games though??

My post to SGC well and truly still apllies even if Bent had 10-15 more than Rooney, as his hatred towards Rooney as a way of biggin up Bent doesnt coincide with the difference of 10-15 goals - (which its not anyway) :D

i think its 6 or 7 now

now sure of games played, i wouldnt assume its many more. neither drogba nor rooney have missed THAT many games, and bent was out of the spurs team for a fair bit

well they he was one behind rooney and drogba when he signed, and since then he's got what, 10 goals? while neither rooney nor drogba have scored more than 3 or 4 each?

If it was taken on minutes played, I wonder if Bents played more than Rooney - after all bent was benched a lot at Spurs.

Anyway, fact is, Bent is top dog over 5 seasons. Is that not (forget other aspects of his game) world class then if he's the best over 5 years in one of the best leagues around?

incorrect

question marks for a reason.

In more games though??

My post to SGC well and truly still apllies even if Bent had 10-15 more than Rooney, as his hatred towards Rooney as a way of biggin up Bent doesnt coincide with the difference of 10-15 goals - (which its not anyway) :D

What about a goal per minutes during which your team has possession (surely a striker cannot be expected to score when his team doesn't have the ball)?

Bent would be way ahead of both Wazza and Drogba me thinks??

Bit unfair to include Wazza though as he has not always been the principal striker.

If it was taken on minutes played, I wonder if Bents played more than Rooney - after all bent was benched a lot at Spurs.

Anyway, fact is, Bent is top dog over 5 seasons. Is that not (forget other aspects of his game) world class then if he's the best over 5 years in one of the best leagues around?

but hes not the best! see my last post.

Fair point regarding minutes FWIW!!

Â