Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

I don'd understand how people are dismissing Ancelotti or Jol with such ease either.

Ancelotti is probably our only hope of being able to convince Downing / Young (unlikely) to stay, and if he wants to stay in England himself, then we are his best choice, by a distance.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think Hughes is the most likely replacement as I think he wants it and its a bigger job than Fulham. I also don't thing there is much to pick between Moyes and Hughes, both solid managers who will build difficult to beat sides who are well organised and work hard. Very similar to MON really. So if the club wants a safe appointment it will be Hughes.

On the flip side if we really want to up the ante and make a statement we have to look for a good foreign manager. For me that's Ancelotti paired with Wilkins. Expensive but eminently gettable. My second choices would either Deschamp or Ranieri. They would get us playing football and entertaining. However my money is on the safe bet - Mark Hughes.

I don'd understand how people are dismissing Ancelotti or Jol with such ease either.

Ancelotti is probably our only hope of being able to convince Downing / Young (unlikely) to stay, and if he wants to stay in England himself, then we are his best choice, by a distance.

Mate, dont even get them started, it's madness!

mark hughes took over europa league finalists fulham

fulham who had finished 7th on 53 points qualifying for the europa league in 2008/09

fulham who then made it to the final of the europa league at the expense of the premier league finish but still managed to get 12th on 46 points the season before hughes took over

since he took over fulham and people talk of what a great job he has done , they finished 8th, 1 point above us, so we have a disasterous season and are shit but 'sparky' finishes 1 point and place above us and had a good season?

hmmmmm?

we went the season having 3 different managers from 1 week before play starts to christmas, all with different styles of play and ideas on how to motivate players, a massive injury list meaning we played 5 youth/ reserve players for several games, senior players causing disruption and in-fighting, others refusing to play or acting in such a manner we try to keep them away from the club. a season to forget in a hurry... and he finishes just 1 point above us?

they had 11 players who played at least 22 league games for them last season , which shows a stability in the team and also injuries did little to disrupt the core of the team

we had 8 which includes disruptive players like dunne and a player playing out of position in luke young

we used 32 players in the league last season, they used 26 again showing we had issues with keeping a regular side for a number of reasons.

for blackburn huighes record

2004/5 = 15th in league we finished 10th

2005/6 = 6th in league we finished 16th

2006/7 = 10th in league we finished 11th

2007/8 = 7th in league we finished 6th

so pretty much the same as DOL and MON early reign at our club

2008/09 at man city with 100 million spent on players they finished 10th, WORSE than man city finished the year previously under SGE

while who ever is appointed gets my support until they make a **** up of the job, i would prefer someting more inspiring than 'sparky'

This in a nutshell. I'm really surprised by the fans on here, I would have thought the majority would expect someone more worthy than Hughes.

It's no wonder our best players want to leave. They know this club won't probably even get to the Europa League or win a cup and the board are making damn sure of that if they hire Hughes. I bet Bent must be wishing he could leave right now. I don't think he signed up for this.

seeing as he wants to stay in england, has refused the hammers and in italy has QPR being touted as a possible destination the only thing against us with regards to landing ancelotti would be the london factor. if his family and him want to stay there then there's not much we can do i'd reckon.

personally i think he'd be great, if we could get 4 or 5 years out of him he could really turn us around.

I got a sneaky feeling the Villa job could be the making of Hughes. Good solid squad to begin with. Funds to spend. A point to prove. A chairman that won't interfere.

I think if Citeh showed anything it's not his ability to get his teams playing, but that it's not all about what you spend.

See, although I dont necessarily agree, I can sympathise with those who doubt we could attract him, but anyone questioning whether he'd be good for us is somewhat missing the point.

He would probably be the biggest appointment this club has ever made, Moustapha Salifou included.

He would probably be the biggest appointment this club has ever made, Moustapha Salifou included.

Whilst I agree with most of the original post, the last part of this sentance nullifies the whole post.

I got a sneaky feeling the Villa job could be the making of Hughes. Good solid squad to begin with. Funds to spend. A point to prove. A chairman that won't interfere.

I think if Citeh showed anything it's not his ability to get his teams playing, but that it's not all about what you spend.

That is exactly how I feel.

certainly since the 20s that would be true, before then we were the ac milan/real madrid of world footy (small world granted). getting someone as proven world class as ancelotti would be huge.

Whilst I agree with most of the original post, the last part of this sentance nullifies the whole post.

In fairness, the last part was just me posting for effect, Salifou bows to no man.

See, although I dont necessarily agree, I can sympathise with those who doubt we could attract him, but anyone questioning whether he'd be good for us is somewhat missing the point.

Nothing to do with if we could or couldnt attract him, just down right that he is not the right man for the job. Reasons being he has only ever worked with table topping teams, world class stars and various other strange points.

?

i dont understand what you are saying?

are you saying he cant get teams playing?

he cant spend money wisely?

both?

neither?

he purchase the following at man city by the way

Jo CSKA Mosc. £18,000,000 02 Jul, 2008

Tal Ben-Haim Chelsea Signed 30 Jul, 2008

Vincent Kompany Hamburg £6,000,000 22 Aug, 2008

Shaun Wright-Phillips Chelsea £9,000,000 28 Aug, 2008

Glauber Berti Nuremberg Free 31 Aug, 2008

Pablo Zabaleta Espanyol Signed 31 Aug, 2008

Robinho Real Madrid £32,500,000 01 Sep, 2008

Wayne Bridge Chelsea £12,000,000 03 Jan, 2009