Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still cant get over people saying Ancelotti is the wrong man for the job!?!?!

:bonk: :lol:

I genuinely don't think he's the right man for scrapping in midtable in the Prem at least (and arguably perhaps any league - he's done it once with Parma, but that was a Parma side that had some top players in it - Buffon for a start).

If we were a top side, cruising with no issues, he'd do well, steady the ship and lead it to good things until things had to change drastically. But for a side that needs work, a fair amount of work, and isn't up there in terms of quality throughout the side, I really think he'd struggle to get far. It's not his bag imo.

Rubbish, Ancelotti is one of the best managers in Europe.

Ive got to ask how you know he could do the job we require better than Hughes or Moyes?

Reputation means nothing else chairman would be appointing them on it all the time and no new managers would come through.

It's about who is most suited for the job. Have you see his record of bringing through youth players?

He's trying to win the Premier League and Champions League for God's sake, he's going to go with his best team week in week out, if the kids arnt good enough they dont play.

Reputations mean nothing you say?? One name my friend, Gerard Houllier.

And for what its worth, Kakuta, McEachran and Jeffrey Brouma all made Chelsea league debuts under Ancelotti.

They had plenty of chances to play, I'm not talking week in week out, just cameos when 3-0 up etc... go and ask any Chelsea fan. McEachren has been criminally underused and Kakuta was sent out on loan to the wrong club. Bruma is now going to HSV on loan as he couldn't get a game.

I'm not just talking about Chelsea either, its been the same in all his jobs.

You really think Lerner appointed Houllier based on his reputation? You're wrong.

Why did he appoint him then if it wasnt his reputation? Good at blow jobs? Good at chess?

Well Fulham fans want him to stay but are increasingly in numbers accepting that he might be off

Nobody is denying the fact he is good for Fulham.. Without being disrespectful to them but I consider Villa to be a very big club and a very big catch for a top manager.

Our facilities and backing are top notch.. Villa Park is a great stadium and we amongst the top clubs in England when it comes to the managerial package we can offer..

We really should be aiming alot higher than Mark Hughes or David Moyes.

Instead of looking at us in Premiership terms...Look at us in European terms instead.

Then ask the ask the question...If we want to rule Europe once again what must we do? I dont think appointing Mark Hughes is getting us on the ladder of such goal..We need to broaden our search and options...Its vital we get the right man that can transform us into a modern day "European" team...Not just a team to get by in the Premiership.

Before we look in European terms, we HAVE to concentrate on the English Premier League to qualify.

Then sink?

Im talking about building the modern day European style team now..Not in 4 years time when Hughes has spent 100m to get us a top 6 finish and a LC..

Go out and appoint the manager now that will modernise us into a side that can compete in Europe.. Blimey, Man United are the best team in the Premiership yet were made to look like a division 2 side v Barca..AND THATS MAN UNITED!

Do you seriouslY think whilst the rest of Europe moves forward we have the time to watse arsing about with backward tactics? We need to make that move NOW!

And you seriously think you can get all this in one season? It's a building process. Man City have spent crap loads the last few seasons and have only just managed to break the Top 4. We have a long way to go.

Well Fulham fans want him to stay but are increasingly in numbers accepting that he might be off

Nobody is denying the fact he is good for Fulham.. Without being disrespectful to them but I consider Villa to be a very big club and a very big catch for a top manager.

Our facilities and backing are top notch.. Villa Park is a great stadium and we amongst the top clubs in England when it comes to the managerial package we can offer..

Instead of looking at us in Premiership terms...Look at us in European terms instead.

Then ask the ask the question...If we want to rule Europe once again what must we do? I dont think appointing Mark Hughes is getting us on the ladder of such goal..We need to broaden our search and options...Its vital we get the right man that can transform us into a modern day "European" team...Not just a team to get by in the Premiership.

Before we look in European terms, we HAVE to concentrate on the English Premier League to qualify.

Then sink?

Im talking about building the modern day European style team now..Not in 4 years time when Hughes has spent 100m to get us a top 6 finish and a LC..

Go out and appoint the manager now that will modernise us into a side that can compete in Europe.. Blimey, Man United are the best team in the Premiership yet were made to look like a division 2 side v Barca..AND THATS MAN UNITED!

Do you seriouslY think whilst the rest of Europe moves forward we have the time to watse arsing about with backward tactics? We need to make that move NOW!

The fact is Man Utd are built to succeed in the Premier League, as are Chelsea and its increasingly obvious Man City are catching them both up. Arsenal and their total football approach may make them an ideal outfit for competing in Europe but as they slip further and further away from the top of the Premier League, it would not be unexpected if they soon find themselves struggling to retain a place in the Champions League.

You have to be able to compete domestically before you can even think about anything else. Houllier tried to introduce a new way of playing and we plummeted hard and fast for many months before staging a recovery. Your idealism is virtuous - but it is also unrealistic for a club in our position to realistically implement.

reputation is pretty much EVERYTHING

how do you think a reputation is made? through magic? or through results, style of play, winning things?

would you employ someone with a poor reputation , for getting average results or someone with a good reputation, who gets good results?

while nothing is guaranteed in life, there are small risks and big risks, buying something with a good reputation over something with an average or poor reputation is plain old fashioned common sense asit proviodes a lesser risk

i prefer to not make large risks in the hope that a 1000/1 shot comes good.

which is why i would like us to get a top quality manager but every one has their own opinions

I worded that badly, I meant to say it means nothing if the manager doesn't suit the club. At both Milan and Chelsea, Ancelotti has bit strong efficient teams full of experience whilst using a lot of money to do so. He did this very well and deserved the success he had.

We need a manager who can work with the young players coming through and not isolate them. It has been specifically made clear that we need to bring youth players through to supplement the first team rather then spending millions on average backup players.

Then sink?

Not including Man City due to the money they have spent, there are only 2 managers who have finished in the top 4. Redknapp and Moyes.

Both of them have an 'old school' style. What in the name of Juande Ramos makes you think a foreign coach can do it on a budget that is significantly less that Manchester City's?

But you're talking about Barca, an incredible one-off side there. There are plenty of European teams with passing games and decent managers who Man U could absolutely take apart. There's no reason at all why Hughes couldn't make us more competetive in europe than a manager like Deschamps or Ancelloti. It's not always a case of picking the 'best' manager, it's picking the best manager for the job and for the situation.

Fulham fans genuinely don't understand why Hughes would want to go to Villa and they think Fulham will finish above us next season.

This is all because Young and Downing are leaving and Friedel is a massive loss to us. :)

Why did he appoint him then if it wasnt his reputation? Good at blow jobs? Good at chess?

Firstly as my recent posts say his reputation played a part.

But obviously looking at all the other candidates Randy saw that Houllier had the experience, the knowledge of Europe and was probably impressed by the ideas Houllier was presenting in his interview.

You know they have interviews to appoint a manager to see how he would run the club not just see a manager and go "wow you're Carlo Ancelotti you're hired!".

I still cant get over people saying Ancelotti is the wrong man for the job!?!?!

:bonk: :lol:

I genuinely don't think he's the right man for scrapping in midtable in the Prem at least (and arguably perhaps any league - he's done it once with Parma, but that was a Parma side that had some top players in it - Buffon for a start).

If we were a top side, cruising with no issues, he'd do well, steady the ship and lead it to good things until things had to change drastically. But for a side that needs work, a fair amount of work, and isn't up there in terms of quality throughout the side, I really think he'd struggle to get far. It's not his bag imo.

Ive got to ask how you know he could do the job we require better than Hughes or Moyes?

Reputation means nothing else chairman would be appointing them on it all the time and no new managers would come through.

It's about who is most suited for the job. Have you see his record of bringing through youth players?

He's trying to win the Premier League and Champions League for God's sake, he's going to go with his best team week in week out, if the kids arnt good enough they dont play.

Reputations mean nothing you say?? One name my friend, Gerard Houllier.

And for what its worth, Kakuta, McEachran and Jeffrey Brouma all made Chelsea league debuts under Ancelotti.

They had plenty of chances to play, I'm not talking week in week out, just cameos when 3-0 up etc... go and ask any Chelsea fan. McEachren has been criminally underused and Kakuta was sent out on loan to the wrong club. Bruma is now going to HSV on loan as he couldn't get a game.

I'm not just talking about Chelsea either, its been the same in all his jobs.

You really think Lerner appointed Houllier based on his reputation? You're wrong.

Reputations are important but you don't appoint a manager just on that, he has to suit the structure and the long term plans of the club.

so he did it because he liked the sound of his name? because he wanted to learn french? because he owed him a favour? because he made a bet with someone that he could appoint him?

or did they look at what he had achieved throughout his time in football, his current football knowledge, what he could bring to the club in terms of how to play, how to build the club up throughout domestic and european exposure, his tactical knowledge, the contacts he has built up and the potential 'pull' of higher quality players?

in other words... his reputation

If Hughes is a great Premiership manager why hasnt he taken any of his clubs into the Champions League?

Answ; He needs alot of resources..He needs alot ofmoney..

That dosnt make him great...We should be looking at better than this...There are managers that are taking clubs into the CL with teams they have built on little funds..Managers that have spotted great youth players and brought them through the club to form a formidable team/squad..

Mark Hughes has had plenty of chance to go out and find, build the next generation team...He has never achieved such feat.

reputation is pretty much EVERYTHING

how do you think a reputation is made? through magic? or through results, style of play, winning things?

would you employ someone with a poor reputation , for getting average results or someone with a good reputation, who gets good results?

while nothing is guaranteed in life, there are small risks and big risks, buying something with a good reputation over something with an average or poor reputation is plain old fashioned common sense asit proviodes a lesser risk

i prefer to not make large risks in the hope that a 1000/1 shot comes good.

which is why i would like us to get a top quality manager but every one has their own opinions

I worded that badly, I meant to say it means nothing if the manager doesn't suit the club. At both Milan and Chelsea, Ancelotti has bit strong efficient teams full of experience whilst using a lot of money to do so. He did this very well and deserved the success he had.

We need a manager who can work with the young players coming through and not isolate them. It has been specifically made clear that we need to bring youth players through to supplement the first team rather then spending millions on average backup players.

that makes far more sense

or did they look at what he had achieved throughout his time in football, his current football knowledge, what he could bring to the club in terms of how to play, how to build the club up throughout domestic and european exposure, his tactical knowledge, the contacts he has built up and the potential 'pull' of higher quality players?

Thank you you answered it for me.

I just don't understand the bad comments about Hughes,this guy is a young and ambitious Manager,he is a winner and shows passion which is what most Villa fans want. He may not be perfect but who is? We have to be realistic about what Managers we can actually attract and get down to Villa Park, we have no divine right to anyone.

IF Mark Hughes is offered the job and he wants it then I just hope supporters get behind him and give him a chance and stop moaning.

Some Managers may not be gettable or even want the Villa job, the obvious choices are not always as simple to get as we all think.

Lets be more positive and think before running people down.

UTV

IF Mark Hughes is offered the job and he wants it then I just hope supporters get behind him and give him a chance and stop moaning.

Looking at the amount of people that want Hughes I'm sure he'll get more support than Houllier did if he is appointed.

If Hughes is a great Premiership manager why hasnt he taken any of his clubs into the Champions League?

That dosnt make him great...We should be looking at better than this...There are managers that are taking clubs into the CL with teams they have built on little funds..Managers that have spotted great youth players and brought them through the club to form a formidable team/squad..

Mark Hughes has had plenty of chance to go out and find, build the next generation team...He has never achieved such feat.

Name them.

And they better be in a league as strong as the Premier League!

Then sink?

Not including Man City due to the money they have spent, there are only 2 managers who have finished in the top 4. Redknapp and Moyes.

Both of them have an 'old school' style. What in the name of Juande Ramos makes you think a foreign coach can do it on a budget that is significantly less that Manchester City's?

And Wenger...

Who is the only manager in that top 4 to achieve it consistantly without massive net spend..Yet Wenger is old hat..

There are younger and better Wenger's out there if you l;ook...These are the managers that WILL take Villa into the next level without the need to have year on year massive investment(like MON,Hughes,Moyes etc all do).. Its about building a sustainable method and modern style..

Ancelotti has had the benefit of managing great sides. Look at his time at Milan - they start off as a great team that was going through the motions, he comes in makes a couple of changes end up winning a league under him with a team in it's prime, then it starts to chug a bit and they became a very good side that won cups and stuttered in the league. By the end of his time there Milan had had enough of him - he struggles to change sides once he gets things working. The legacy of his time there is a team slightly past it's best.

Even his Chelsea side, facing troubles this season, he struggled with, Chelsea this season regularly looking pretty average and him seemingly clueless as what to do about it. At one point he had Drogba playing right wing.

I'm not saying he's a bad manager whatsoever. I'm saying he's a manager of top sides. He's little experience of management in the doldrums - he took a side to a promotion 16 years ago, and he took over Parma when they had some genuine (world) class in their side to surprising heights, but that's it. And Italy is different to here. The vast proportion of his time as a manager is with title chasing sides in Italy, I don't see him coming to Aston Villa and being a huge success (and saying that I wouldn't see Mourinho doing it either, not at the moment).

I wouldn't be upset in the extremely unlikely event we did get him, but I don't think he's a magic key to us being successful, as I really don't think it's a job his style would cut him out for.

And Wenger...

Who is the only manager in that top 4 to achieve it consistantly without massive net spend..Yet Wenger is old hat..

There are younger and better Wenger's out there if you l;ook...These are the managers that WILL take Villa into the next level without the need to have year on year massive investment(like MON,Hughes,Moyes etc all do).. Its about building a sustainable method and modern style..

Your argument is Wenger. Jesus wept! Arsenal only stopped spending when the money went on the stadium. They are now on the slide. Before that Wenger had spent a fair bit of money.

I realise there is no point in reasoning with you.

LOL Good one.

Might wanna take a look at that chip on your shoulder.

Show me on the doll where Mark Hughes touched you..