Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes brought Samba for 400,000

Why do people keep bringing this up? He also bought Robinho for over 30m.

I admit he's good enough for a midtable club who's on a tight budget.

But we're more of an upper club on a decent budget. I just don't think Hughes would fit that bill at all. It would also contradict everything on why they hired Houllier in the first place.

Yep Hughes is decent in the transfer market.

Samba as you say from Hertha Berlins B team.

Dembele looks like he has something to offer.

Tevez (Regardless of how good he was anyway.)

Zabaleta

Kompany

De Jong

Santa Cruz to Blackburn

Warnock

Dunn

Bentley

Bellamy to Blackburn

Pedersen

However there is...

Halliche who has barely played for Fulham.

Santa Cruz to Man City

Jo :lol:

Bridge

Roberts

Wright-Phillips

Robinho

It seems to me that he gets more success from the smaller fee signings he makes rather then the larger ones!

Why do people keep bringing this up? He also bought Robinho for over 30m.

I admit he's good enough for a midtable club who's on a tight budget.

But we're more of an upper club on a decent budget. I just don't think Hughes would fit that bill at all. It would also contradict everything on why they hired Houllier in the first place.

Whatever you say Hughes did not buy half the players at City the owner did he was playing golf when Robinho was brought. Hughes needs a chance at a bigger club than Blackburn and Fulham where is not under pressure of having the world richest chairman wanting a quick return on his investment.

Yep Hughes is decent in the transfer market.

Samba as you say from Hertha Berlins B team.

Dembele looks like he has something to offer.

Tevez (Regardless of how good he was anyway.)

Zabaleta

Kompany

De Jong

Santa Cruz to Blackburn

Warnock

Dunn

Bentley

Bellamy to Blackburn

Pedersen

However there is...

Halliche who has barely played for Fulham.

Santa Cruz to Man City

Jo :lol:

Bridge

Roberts

Wright-Phillips

Robinho

It seems to me that he gets more success from the smaller fee signings he makes rather then the larger ones!

Ah in fairness it was Sven who signed Jo.

and Hughes never signed Robinho . That was blatantly their owners .

And whilst Santa Cruz was awful signing for City he was a good bargain for Blackburn originally.

Hughes would be a disaster not because he's bad but because he's mediocre. He'd hang around like a bad smell for years doing sort of OK averaging 7th, a few sort of alright signings here and there, vaguely respectable cup runs, playing negative football, 10 home draws a season, never quite bad enough to sack.

Ancelotti I would absolutely love and I think if we make a big play for him we'll get him.

He'd hang around like a bad smell for years doing sort of OK averaging 7th, a few sort of alright signings here and there, vaguely respectable cup runs, playing negative football, 10 home draws a season, never quite bad enough to sack.

The new Martin O'Neill?

Hughes would be a disaster not because he's bad but because he's mediocre. He'd hang around like a bad smell for years doing sort of OK averaging 7th, a few sort of alright signings here and there, vaguely respectable cup runs, playing negative football, 10 home draws a season, never quite bad enough to sack.

Ancelotti I would absolutely love and I think if we make a big play for him we'll get him.

Agree with all of that. I'm none too taken with Hughes for the reasons you detail. Like MoN he will do a decent enough job but play average football and never quite manage to break through that glass ceiling. For me the same goes for Moyes to an extent. All three of them Steady Eddies.

As such Ancelotti would be my first choice. Others I'd like would include Jol and perhaps Benitez (though would we see the good Benitez or the paranoid mentalist one?).

Agree with all of that. I'm none too taken with Hughes for the reasons you detail. Like MoN he will do a decent enough job but play average football and never quite manage to break through that glass ceiling. For me the same goes for Moyes to an extent. All three of them Steady Eddies.

As such Ancelotti would be my first choice. Others I'd like would include Jol and perhaps Benitez (though would we see the good Benitez or the paranoid mentalist one?).

Jol? The same Jol that has already failed to break through the "glass ceiling" with Tottenham?

He came a damn site closer than O'Neill or Hughes. It was a bout of sickness that stopped him rather than his own limitations.

Admittedly Moyes has actually broken through and qualified for the CL but there is just something about the man I don't like. Mostly the style or lack thereof from his Everton team.

It's not to say I think Jol is the perfect boss. I'd much rather have Eyebrows. I have my reservations about Jol (mostly to do with his spells at Ajax and Hamburg where the teams failed to deliver on their promise) but his record at Spurs was pretty decent. Unlike Moyes he would also not require any compensation as he is out of work too. There is nobody we can get who is completely without flaw.

Simple question, Moyes, Jol, and Hughes, as managers what have they won?

Now compare that to Ancelotti.

Surely the choice is obvious?

yeah, the choice is obvious if youre a huge club with massive resources. but apply the restraints of villa to this. who has most experience working with low wage ceilings? who has experience searching out bargain players? who knows how to get the most out of the resources at hand?

whats the last team carlo ancelotti managed where he couldnt just go out and buy whoever he wanted? he has operated on a whole different level to villa for years, expecting him to slot into buying players he'd never have considered at his other jobs is no guarantee for success