Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

OI! Fecking behave yourself!

You should know that anybody with the name Den(n)is is ultra intelligent and thus the one on the radio was a fraud, trying to bring down the awesomeness of Den.

True that.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fellow VillaTalk posters there is still time to make a difference. 49% of us have voted for David Moyes and 5% have voted for Mark Hughes. My suggestion is that the 49% of us all post on the Generals thread in the next few hours to point out to the board that appointing Moyes = 7 or 8 seasons of trouble free premiership status with the added incentive of real investment being turned into real progress.

I'm just off to the General's thread to try and make a difference.

http://bit.ly/lwO8M9

Aston Villa in the hunt for Fulham boss Hughes as Houllier chases £5m pay-off

By NEIL MOXLEY

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is the man Aston Villa want to replace Gerard Houllier, heading a five-man short list drawn up by the Midlands club's owner Randy Lerner.

Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh tried to head off the move by issuing a stern 'hands-off' warning to Villa but if Hughes fails to activate his rolling contract at Fulham in the next 24 hours, he will become a free agent and make himself the clear favourite to succeed Houllier.

Should Hughes decide to stay at Fulham, Lerner will turn to others he has identified to take Villa forward. Everton's David Moyes and Wigan's Roberto Martinez are in the frame, while Steve McClaren and Martin Jol have also been mentioned.

Senior figures at Villa were tied up with more pressing matters as Houllier hampered the club's search for a replacement with legal wrangling over the size of his pay-off. As reported in Sportsmail, Houllier has medical reports that state he is fit to return. Villa contest those.

Clauses in the manager's contract protect the club from a pay-out in excess of £5million if the Frenchman is forced out by ill-health.

What is in dispute is whether his employment is being terminated because of that or if he is being sacked.

Au revoir: Frenchman Houllier's time as Villa boss is up after health problems and poor form

Lerner wants to avoid a repeat of the Martin O'Neill affair. The American billionaire had to face a Premier League arbitration panel last week after O'Neill contested the terms of his exit.

When Houllier's departure is finally confirmed, 'mutual consent' will be listed as the reason but there can be no doubt that from Villa's viewpoint this is a divorce of convenience. The marriage has always been an uneasy one and even Houllier's unveiling ended in little more than a public-relations disaster when he was unable to confirm his release from his job with the France Football Federation.

Since then the club have been troubled by on-field problems, off-field squabbles and fights. The French manager has battled with his players, including Stephen Ireland, John Carew, Richard Dunne and Stephen Warnock, as Villa lurched through their league campaign.

As if the club did not have enough problems, two of their England players - Ashley Young and Stewart Downing - refused to commit their futures to Villa.

Young's position is unsurprising after Manchester United made tentative contact for the winger. He said: 'I did find myself sat (watching the Champions League final) thinking, "I wish I was out there". My opinion is that I can play in the biggest and best competitions.

'To challenge myself is to play in big competitions and hopefully one day I'll be able to do that.'

Downing's utterances were little short of a come-and-get-me plea. 'You sit at home and watch the Champions League, you hear the music come on and you see the teams and you think, "This is where I want to be. It's my ambition to play in it and I'd like to do that at some stage in my career".'

Asked whether he will be a Villa player next season, he added: 'I'm not sure. If I don't move and I stay, I'll get on with the job.'

Also

Neil_Moxley_DM Neil Moxley

And one PL club in particular not v keen on losing its' manager to #avfc...

7 minutes ago

And for what? Replacement shortlist in DM tomorrow. No Ancelotti!

7 minutes ago

Incredible sums being talked about. £5m+. Add that to his wages since Sept...

So with David Moyes you'd be happy to watch dull football, losing almost every game until Christmas and then pulling it back to finish 6th every year? When apparently 6th each year under MON wasn't good enough?

Do you think Villa fans in general would be patient enough to give him the benefit of the doubt while the inevitable loss of form happens each season?

And does David Moyes moving sideways really show much of a signal of intent from Villa? From the cutting of the wages and the sale of AY we should have a decent war chest to give a new manager. With a big name manager we could keep Downing, sign a few quality players and have a good go next season. Moyes isn't enough of a wow to make any player sit up and take notice.

Only one manager available will do that - Ancelotti.

So with David Moyes you'd be happy to watch dull football, losing almost every game until Christmas and then pulling it back to finish 6th every year? When apparently 6th each year under MON wasn't good enough?

Do you think Villa fans in general would be patient enough to give him the benefit of the doubt while the inevitable loss of form happens each season?

And does David Moyes moving sideways really show much of a signal of intent from Villa? From the cutting of the wages and the sale of AY we should have a decent war chest to give a new manager. With a big name manager we could keep Downing, sign a few quality players and have a good go next season. Moyes isn't enough of a wow to make any player sit up and take notice.

Everton's League positions under Moyes: 17th, 4th, 11th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th. That is with a a lack of funds.

6 out of 8 seasons under Moyes, Everton have finished above us.

O'Neill walked out he was not sacked.

Disturbing stuff from Moxley if it's true. Ancelotti isn't on the short list? He really should be. Him and Wilkins would definitely send out a statement of intent and maybe get Downing to stop being a dick and flip flopping over whether he wants to stay or not.

Everton's League positions under Moyes: 17th, 4th, 11th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th. That is with a a lack of funds.

The lack of funds thing is a smokescreen. He's had plenty of money to spend.

O'Neill was forced out by the fans. The voices of discontent grew pretty loud over the course of his last season.

Disturbing stuff from Moxley if it's true. Ancelotti isn't on the short list? He really should be. Him and Wilkins would definitely send out a statement of intent and maybe get Downing to stop being a dick and flip flopping over whether he wants to stay or not.

You forget how much he would want in wages and we need to stabilise the club and our finances.

Lerner wants to club to be successful as a footballing team and as a business, Spending a large amount on Wages to a guy that could jump to a bigger club at the first chance is a big risk.

Ancelotti and Wilkins!! Pretty sure they'd get young and downing to stay and i think with some investment in the summer, mainly defence and central midfield we could challenge for the top 4 again.

O'Neill was forced out by the fans. The voices of discontent grew pretty loud over the course of his last season.

Really? Thats funny because I was sure MON jumped ship days before the season was to start over transfer funds and being told to cut the wage bill etc etc, I dont ever remember the fans forcing him out. He threw his toys out the pram. End of.

We need to make a real statement of intent. After the quotes from tonight it looks like we may have lost four of our best players from last year (bar bent).

We really are virtually back to the beginning aren't we :( (where's my tissues?)

Moyes got Everton from 17th in 2003/2004 to 4th place in 2004/2005 after spending less than £10 million on players.

The summer window in 2009 was the last time he spent money but even then it was less than we paid for Bent.

Moyes has not had a lot of money to spend. They have averaged 3m net spend since 2006. He has spend big on a couple of players but only because they sold a lot. He has done a lot of free transfers, loans and low fee players that have turned out very well. Compare how much we've spent since Lerner took over to what Moyes has done in the same time.

Transfer Net Spend Table