How Will you Vote  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How Will you Vote

• I will Vote Yes, for AV
    • I will vote No, Everything's fine as it is
    • I can't be bovvered. I'm washing my hair
    • Christ, I'm in the wrong thread
    • I will vote no, AV doesn't go far enough and will block real reform

Think it's pretty much settled that NO has won. Ironically, the West Midlands has overwhelmingly rejected AV with 73% NO votes (according to the BBC) yet on here yes alone has 50% of votes out of five options.

I voted no because I actually agree with Nick Clegg its a bit of a pathetic half measure. I'd be in favour of PR but I'm not going to vote for AV as the next best thing.

I think PR is better too, but there still needs to be a mechanism whereby an MP maintains a link to a constituency and can, if necessary, be recalled and sacked by their constituents.

I voted no because I actually agree with Nick Clegg its a bit of a pathetic half measure. I'd be in favour of PR but I'm not going to vote for AV as the next best thing.

I think PR is better too, but there still needs to be a mechanism whereby an MP maintains a link to a constituency and can, if necessary, be recalled and sacked by their constituents.

I agree.

on here yes alone has 50% of votes out of five options.

There are more (mainly grumpy :winkold: ) lefties on here than there are in the BBC!

Do you not think a vote of no means 'yes to FPTP' to the government?.

Whenever PR is brought up in future it will be "But we gave the people a referendum, they told us they wanted to keep the current system."

Lots wanted PR, hardly anyone wanted AV. AV was the crap concession to get LD to form a government. Now we've said no to AV, we've said no to all electoral reform.

What has AV to do with left or right?
Nothing.

What has AV to do with a corrupt political system that has seen a right wing govt returned to power for the last 30+ years - lots.

Nothing.

What has AV to do with a corrupt political system that has seen a right wing govt returned to power for the last 30+ years - lots.

Yup, though AV wouldn't have changed that much at all

Do you not think a vote of no means 'yes to FPTP' to the government?.

Whenever PR is brought up in future it will be "But we gave the people a referendum, they told us they wanted to keep the current system."

Lots wanted PR, hardly anyone wanted AV. AV was the crap concession to get LD to form a government. Now we've said no to AV, we've said no to all electoral reform.

Well that is Nick Clegg's fault isn't it.

All we could do was vote on the question that was put to us, do we want AV? My answer was no so I voted no. I don't really see that voting yes would have meant that a future vote for PR was on the cards.

If the consequences of this vote are that PR is less likely then not much we can do about that although I don't believe we were ever going to be offered a vote on PR in any case.

It was an apalling campaign

dave campaigned to shore up his support and oppose the libdems

nick campaigned honestly, no honestly he did - he chose a better option

ed was weak - he let his party do what they want - it seemed like labour only pretended to support av because that would hurt the tories more than fptp

labour and tory campaigns were solely born of self interest, the lib dem one less so

tory voted no cos it would hurt them

livdems voted yes cos it would help them

labour (pretended to) vote yes as it would hurt the tories.

Politics in action? Yes. Democracy in action? Me arse.

a most shameful election campaign - the only benefit being that now maybe 10% of the population understand that there is more than one possible electoral system and that some are more fair than others.

The overall conclusion is that the current status quo cannot deliver both democratic representation and a reasoned approach to constitutional change

BIAD.

I'm not aware of many Tories voting AV, mainly LD and Labour voters.

What have most of them got to do with Left?

You'd have to ask them, I think they're all mad personally.

I don't like PR to be honest. It's better than AV, but still wouldn't vote for it. FPTP all the way for me.
It is not possible to logically hold that view.

Â