Should Houllier Stay or Go? (New topic, new poll options)

bickster

Should Houllier Stay or Go?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Should Houllier Stay or Go?

• Should Stay
    • Should Go Now
    • Should Go at the End of the Season.

Half the fans were not still pining for MON, that's a gross exaggeration. I was one of his bigger supporters, but there was no point pining for him after he'd gone

Not surprised. It does indeed seem like the fans who are giving Houllier the most grief were in the MoN fanclub. Get over it, hes gone. And good job aswell in my eyes. Tosser.

Did you see the corners they scored? First goal Cahill scores no-one on a post, second one we have players on a post but we allow a player to win the header and then get to the rebound before anyone else. Sorry Houllier is in charge of organisation and that game proves defensively we are not well organised. And before someone says we had the CB's out injured, i am talking about basic organisation here.

Can't say about the latter two, but Delph and albrighton were on the posts for the first. I remember it because it happened not very far from where I was.

Half the fans were not still pining for MON, that's a gross exaggeration. I was one of his bigger supporters, but there was no point pining for him after he'd gone

Not surprised. It does indeed seem like the fans who are giving Houllier the most grief were in the MoN fanclub. Get over it, hes gone. And good job aswell in my eyes. Tosser.

I am pining for the days when we didn’t look over our shoulders so much. I thought these days we find ourself in were something of Doug’s days.

zonal marking is performed by the whole team though not just the defence, what can't be defended though are his post match comments which I agree were poor, I'd go so far to say that his media handling since he's been here has built a wall between him and the fans.

It really doesn't matter how much or how it is drilled to the players we had a makeshift, inexperienced defence against a Bolton team who are sizable and prolific at set pieces.

We did look like we would win. I agree the abysmality at set pieces would be largely down to Houllier, however when you've got two defenders just back from injuries, and two other young lads (walker's only 20) then we are going to struggle from set pieces. As I said, young and Bent had bad games, and if Youngs penalty had gone in we would be 1 point behind Bolton rather than 7. I reckon we'll beat Wolves with some degree of comfort.

Wish i had your confidence with Wolves, as they have been very good in recent games.

They've been okay, but so have we. We beat them away, we shouldn't be cowering in fear from them at home either. If Cuellar and collins play we'll win IMO. Bent will hopefilly have a bit of confidence in him and will barge ash out of the way should we get a pen.

He should stay, he has done a good job in the areas we needed improvement, the points aren't on the table but then this is MON's crappy team and it always performed to battle to 5th but not really much more, he didn't really have the insight.

Bent and Makoun? Amazing! Playing the people we already had and dropping the lamers for a rotation system, great move.

Plus we have Collins and Cuellar, what do we expect from our defence!

We need a better mentality in defence but we also need to keep the faith, bloody hell we really are a panicking bunch of fans.

I think he'll be more likely to try and go round Young to get to the spot, and lamely scuff the ball towards the keeper by accident. :lol: Seriously though, I'd rather Bent took our pens but that's for another thread.

Did you see the corners they scored? First goal Cahill scores no-one on a post, second one we have players on a post but we allow a player to win the header and then get to the rebound before anyone else. Sorry Houllier is in charge of organisation and that game proves defensively we are not well organised. And before someone says we had the CB's out injured, i am talking about basic organisation here.

Can't say about the latter two, but Delph and albrighton were on the posts for the first. I remember it because it happened not very far from where I was.

I doubted you on this as soon as you said it but i thought i'd log onto VT and the FIRST goal we had no-one on the posts, either you consumed a few too many beers but their was no player on either posts so again proves the point Houllier is shit at organising a defence for set pieces.

Well the goal actually went in nowhere near the post - it went in in the centre, where friedel was, or should have been. As I was driving, I also doubt I also consumed too many beers.

Gerard Houllier's Aston Villa team selection at Manchester City in the FA Cup understandably infuriated fans. And it even exasperated most of the Midlands press too.

Because while Houllier has publicly been quoted stressing he is "not in PR", he has actually tried to woo the locally-based press and give us an admirable insight into his personality, methods and plans.

The Frenchman was kind enough to invite a number of Midlands-based radio, TV and written reporters to Villa Park two weeks ago for a meal.

Houllier really looked after us all in the club's excellent Villa Midlands Food (VMF) restaurant where we were treated to a three-course meal and a selection of good wines.

None of those invited were naive enough to believe Houllier wanted to pick our brains on who to select or hear our life stories.

Houllier, who is both experienced and intelligent, almost certainly intended to ensure some favourable future coverage by opening up to us and showing himself to be a decent person.

And he succeeded as not only did he give us a valuable, positive perspective on his new regime, Houllier was also very personable.

Even BBC Radio 5Live's excellent Midlands reporter Pat Murphy, who had steeled himself to be unmoved by any charm offensive, admitted afterwards how much he had enjoyed the evening.

But all Houllier's hard-work and schmoozing was swiftly undone by his team selection at Eastlands in Villa's limp 3-0 defeat last Wednesday.

I was at the game and was simply stunned by Houllier's line-up with a quarter-final at home to Championship Reading up for grabs and it was inevitable he got a terrible press the next day .

It was another blunder by Houllier up there with his homage to former club Liverpool in Villa's defeat at Anfield last December.

And Houllier's attempts in the post-match press conference at Eastlands to justify his selection immediately afterwards were equally unwise as he confessed he didn't think Villa could beat City .

Houllier has also developed a rather odd habit of saying one thing to the press and then doing a complete U-turn.

For example, when Houllier arrived, he said Ashley Young was a winger for England so would play on the wing for Villa - then played him in the hole.

Houllier said before January he had no plans to get another striker - then went and spent £24million on Darren Bent.

When Bent joined, Houllier insisted John Carew was still part of the squad - then offloaded the Norwegian to Stoke days later.

And just last week he claimed Barry Bannan would not be going out on loan - and he has now joined Leeds until the end of the season!

But despite Houllier's penchant for gaffes and about-turns, following his recent meal with the press I must say his philosophy on the game makes complete sense.

Houllier spoke to us all individually about his views on how the game should be played, his tactics and coach Gary McAllister described a normal week training at the club.

Their decision to implement an attractive, attacking 4-2-3-1 formation should eventually help Villa play 4-3-3 which top sides like Spain and Barcelona use.

And new Cameroon midfielder Jean Makoun, 27, who cost £6million in January, looks like one to watch.

Fans might not appreciate fully just what Makoun is capable of after his red card at Blackpool and subsequent three-game ban.

But he will be available for Villa's next game at home to Wolves and should be a key player in the run-in.

Houllier and McAllister have high hopes for Makoun after their ProZone stats showed he successfully completed over 100 passes in the game last month at Old Trafford.

Apparently very few players ever complete over 100 passes - unless you are talking about Barcelona aces like Xavi and Andres Iniesta - and Makoun did it against no lesser opponents than Manchester United.

Robert Pires' recent display against Blackburn has also finally offered a glimpse into why he was offered a contract while Villa are working hard to improve Bent's weaker left-foot.

Houllier said he spent a lot of time helping Michael Owen during his time at Liverpool to get the striker to shoot more with his left foot.

And it famously paid off when Owen scored a dramatic late winner in the 2001 FA Cup final against Arsenal.

Now at Villa, Houllier's methods are clearly bringing the best out of those open-minded players willing to embrace the change such as Stewart Downing.

While others with supposed tendencies to moan or mess around - like Stephen Warnock - have been ostracised for fear of affecting the main group of players.

At the weekend, another misfit, Stephen Ireland was heard grumbling about having to relocate from Manchester to Birmingham to play for Villa, well surely that is not too much to ask if you are being paid £65,000-a-week.

Houllier has had the balls to introduce unpopular rules and methods since arriving in September for the long-term good of the club.

In return, club officials and Houllier himself accept this season represents a period of transition.

For while results have been slow to improve on the pitch, change off the pitch has been dramatic.

Now mobile phones are banned at the training ground, players must have a home or base locally in the area and training is a lot more regimented.

It has clearly caused problems among the squad but Houllier and Villa are right to demand more from their squad after the club's wage bill rose to a whopping £80m a year.

Under Houllier and McAllister, when the team is playing just on a weekend like at the moment, players will take part in a tough 90-minute training session on a Monday and Tuesday.

These are compromised of a 15-minute warm up to stretch every main muscle in the body before series of drills lasting no-more than six-eight minutes (that's apparently the average attention span of a professional footballer), some possession work and then an eight-a-side game to finish up.

Wednesday would be off for the players to rest before Thursday and Friday are spent predominantly practising set pieces, shape and working on the tactics to combat specific opposition ahead of Saturday's game.

And it certainly seems as if training at Villa now is a lot more constructive than previously.

But of course it is not being translated into results which is Houllier's biggest problem - because contrary to that favourite football chant, I really believe he does know what he is doing.

And if Houllier can get Villa winning again then fans will surely forgive him for his PR bloopers at Anfield or Eastlands.

The Mirror

Well the goal actually went in nowhere near the post - it went in in the centre, where friedel was, or should have been. As I was driving, I also doubt I also consumed too many beers.

Come off it, if we had some-one on the post they don't have to be statue's they can move and it is not as central as you think because i have watched it about 6 times now within the last 10mins.

Good article by.... The Mirror!? Jesus H Clark, what's going on!?

Unfortunately for Houllier the more he tries to explain himself the worse it gets. I'm pretty sure Makoun completed 85 out of 94 as well although I could be wrong (either way that's flabbergasting)

Come off it, if we had some-one on the post they don't have to be statue's they can move and it is not as central as you think because i have watched it about 6 times now within the last 10mins.

It was on the left hand side of the box as we look at it, and it was headed diagonally across goal. I'm not saying it wasn't a bad set piece for us, it was, however the players are on the post to stop the shots the keeper can't quite reach, and none of the goals squeezed in at the post. All of them were poor markingaround the 6 yard box, and poor goalkeeping.

But, but, there WERE players at the posts. I was stone cold sober and watched it on TV and there were players there. Baker just missed marking Cahill and gave him a free header. Same for his 2nd. Don't make things up to make a point. I can see the faults of GH without people making up misstakes. Still want him to stay.

But the organisation doesn't matter when you're playing a defence like we did Nathan Baker looks like he's been thrown a hand grenade when the ball comes to him, Luke Young is 3ft tall (though he did have an excellent match), Clark needs experience and Walker is more concerned with creating goals than defending them (no bad thing - when you have a decent defence).

But, but, there WERE players at the posts. I was stone cold sober and watched it on TV and there were players there. Baker just missed marking Cahill and gave him a free header. Same for his 2nd. Don't make things up to make a point. I can see the faults of GH without people making up misstakes. Still want him to stay.

You had to make me do this! Just say hello to the invisible men on the posts.

http://img339.imageshack.us/i/villa001.jpg/

Â