Should Houllier Stay or Go? (New topic, new poll options)

bickster

Should Houllier Stay or Go?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Should Houllier Stay or Go?

• Should Stay
    • Should Go Now
    • Should Go at the End of the Season.

Good shout Brian. There are a number of good relatively young up and coming managers about. I guess its about being brave enough to take a punt on one. It worked for Everton, it worked for us with GT Mark one and with Brain Little who learned their trade at much lesser clubs and spent a lot of time in the lower divisions although in fairness did have top flight experience. JG did relatively well, especially first couple of years, considering he worked under Ellis and had only managed Wycombe. Coyle is also doing well at Bolton having had little experience in the top flight previously.
Indeed. If recent experience (and by that I mean a generation) has taught us anything, it's that going down a division for a manager tends to work out quite well. The only disasters we've had were when we DID go abroad (Venglos) and when we brought someone back who was out of touch (GTMKII).

Eddie Howe looks okay I guess. However if he did come in, he would have to deal with far far bigger pressures than he is getting at Burnley.

Not knocking the present regime here, but do they have enough experience in English Football to take that risk, hence why Houllier was possibly the safe selection?

They didn't make the Houllier decision per se. They gave a list of pre-requisites to a recruitment company who came back with a list of possibles which they then chose from. So if they gave a new list to that same company but were instead asking for a highly rated young manager then there's no reason Howe wouldn't be top of that list. It all depends what they want really. You never know, depending on how this current one works out, they might be looking for exactly what I'm suggesting :)

I still think Coyle is the guy to get. I'm sure he would come to us unlike Moyes.

Promoted Burnley, defeated Man Utd in his first season, has a decent cup record considering the squad, went to Bolton who has turned them into a good footballing side and looks like he could be challenging for an Europe spot.

Houllier cons far outweight the pros. It's too risky giving him another season.

Eddie Howe looks okay I guess. However if he did come in, he would have to deal with far far bigger pressures than he is getting at Burnley.

If we're taking about bringing in the new David Moyes then that post applies to every single applicant. The simple fact is that you hire the one you think can handle it.

Houllier fits that criteria in both instances, one being from abroad and the other being out of touch. Shit we're screwed!

:lol: Perhaps a double negative == ......

Not knocking the present regime here, but do they have enough experience in English Football to take that risk, hence why Houllier was possibly the safe selection?

They didn't make the Houllier decision per se. They gave a list of pre-requisites to a recruitment company who came back with a list of possibles which they then chose from. So if they gave a new list to that same company but were instead asking for a highly rated young manager then there's no reason Howe wouldn't be top of that list. It all depends what they want really. You never know, depending on how this current one works out, they might be looking for exactly what I'm suggesting :)

Ive always felt that to be fair.

Never really seen Houllier as a long term appointment, more of somebody to come in and steady the ship for someone else, whilst he moves upstairs.

If thats the case, then they must have people they are watching, and im sure Randy learnt a lot from how he got caught short by a certain other manager.

Just on Houllier, people who think he'll move upstairs at Villa, no chance will that ever happen. Once he's finished with us, which could be the end of the season if we are relegated then he'll go back to the French FA.

Never really seen Houllier as a long term appointment, more of somebody to come in and steady the ship for someone else, whilst he moves upstairs.

If thats the case, then they must have people they are watching, and im sure Randy learnt a lot from how he got caught short by a certain other manager.

Steady the ship? His really doing a good job of that. :D

It's like when Hodgson was at Liverpool for the reason he was a 'safe of pair hands'. Yeah, that really worked well for Liverpool and they're really struggling without him. Where as Houllier is still steading the ship for us like the good captain he is.

Liverpool fans are as impatient as **** and demand trophies etc despite being a spent force and no better than top 6.

To me it's about marrying the right manager to the right club. Fat Sam was great for Bolton, terrible at Newcastle. Little and Gregory were both a good fit for us, but have.hardly done well elsewhere. With all the good will in the world, I don't think GH and Villa are a good match

Just on Houllier, people who think he'll move upstairs at Villa, no chance will that ever happen. Once he's finished with us, which could be the end of the season if we are relegated then he'll go back to the French FA.

Maybe, maybe not.....

He does have a strong affiliation to England, so i guess it depends on what he thinks is more worthwhile, both personally, and financially.

Plus I don't think Hodgson can handle so many egos. Hence Owen coyle wouldn't be a good Chelsea manager right noiw.

Liverpool fans are as impatient as **** and demand trophies etc despite being a spent force and no better than top 6.

No they just reacted when their team were on the fringes of relegation, something we've been doing but we're still waiting for Houllier to turn it around.

Doesn't detract from the fact that Dalglish is doing far better than Hodgson ever did at Liverpool.

Steady the ship? His really doing a good job of that. :D

It's like when Hodgson was at Liverpool for the reason he was a 'safe of pair hands'. Yeah, that really worked well for Liverpool and they're really struggling without him. Where as Houllier is still steading the ship for us like the good captain he is.

I know mate, but i just think its why he gives the impression of not giving a shit what people think of him. He knows his brief, and hes working to it, everything else does not matter, since hes doing what randy asked him to do.

And he knows hes only here for a short while anyways, so its sod you and me, or anyone else what they think.

Thing is, the club must have a long term plan, and if its not Napoleon, then who is it?

I find that question more important.

No they just reacted when their team were on the fringes of relegation, something we've been doing but we're still waiting for Houllier to turn it around.

the fans that back GH get what they deserve though, i just hope they don't back a manager that brings us down.

the fans that back GH get what they deserve though, i just hope they don't back a manager that brings us down.

The fans as a collective get what GH gives us, not what they deserve, whether they back him or not. It's RL that decides if he's not happy with GH's reign. I'm choosing to give him more time than others are and I'm concentrating on the positives where others concentrate on the negatives of which there are admittedly more to date. But the squad has turned a corner and I think we're looking a damn sight better on the pitch now than we were before the turn of the year. The fact that some can still point towards problems like set pieces just shows that it's not a completed job yet. It probably never will be perfect (has it ever been?) but I can point towards things that were negative at the start that are now positives. I can see a turnaround happening. I just hope that if and when it does happen, those who are currently against him are man enough to turn around and support him.

Â