Should Houllier Stay or Go? (New topic, new poll options)

bickster

Should Houllier Stay or Go?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Should Houllier Stay or Go?

• Should Stay
    • Should Go Now
    • Should Go at the End of the Season.

Good shout Brian. There are a number of good relatively young up and coming managers about. I guess its about being brave enough to take a punt on one. It worked for Everton, it worked for us with GT Mark one and with Brain Little who learned their trade at much lesser clubs and spent a lot of time in the lower divisions although in fairness did have top flight experience. JG did relatively well, especially first couple of years, considering he worked under Ellis and had only managed Wycombe. Coyle is also doing well at Bolton having had little experience in the top flight previously.

Just a small point, but GT was by no means an outside choice when we got him, indeed he was quite a coup.

He'd got Watford promoted from the fourth division to the first in five years, and had them finishing as high as 2nd in the top division + managed a cup final in 1984. All this, and he was still only in his mid 40's when he joined us in 1987.

According to BFR, he was Bobby Charlton's choice to replace him at Man U in the mid 80's, so it was by no means 'taking a punt' on a rookie manager or suchlike.

My worry now is wether we can afford to take the risk of allowing houllier to continue. This season has allowed man city and spurs fly away from us, so much so that spurs loaned us a great player. This poor season has also allowed teams below us to catch up and overtake us. If we have another bad season what does that do for us long term? We could lose good players and not be able to attract the quality we need and waste another few years rebuilding. The last 2 years we've put in a good challenge to the top 4, if we have a bad year next year when will we next find ourselves doing that?

Liverpool fans are as impatient as **** and demand trophies etc despite being a spent force and no better than top 6.

No they just reacted when their team were on the fringes of relegation, something we've been doing but we're still waiting for Houllier to turn it around.

the fans that back GH get what they deserve though, i just hope they don't back a manager that brings us down.

I don't understand your first point, fran.

The fans that back GH get what they deserve? What's that mean? What do they get?

My worry now is wether we can afford to take the risk of allowing houllier to continue.

I think it's fair to say he will get a chance anyway, the board have shown time and time again that they are willing to support him and imo he will get backed in the transfer market again.

the fans that back GH get what they deserve though, i just hope they don't back a manager that brings us down.

The fans as a collective get what GH gives us, not what they deserve, whether they back him or not. It's RL that decides if he's not happy with GH's reign. I'm choosing to give him more time than others are and I'm concentrating on the positives where others concentrate on the negatives of which there are admittedly more to date. But the squad has turned a corner and I think we're looking a damn sight better on the pitch now than we were before the turn of the year. The fact that some can still point towards problems like set pieces just shows that it's not a completed job yet. It probably never will be perfect (has it ever been?) but I can point towards things that were negative at the start that are now positives. I can see a turnaround happening. I just hope that if and when it does happen, those who are currently against him are man enough to turn around and support him.

I love him to turn things around and get us winning things, but i have seen very little to suggest its in the post. the only thing that he's done anyway good imo is the transfer end of things. the rest has been poor at best. from team selections, to very poor man management and also his poor choice of staff. Without drama i'd bet my life on him never doing a thing here, call me negative or what you like but thats how confidant i am that he's the wrong choice of manager and just not good enough for this club. I honestly don't think he gives two **** for this club and its fans anyway and he has already shown that.. Like i say, the people that support him get what they deserve, and will do if we go down tbh.

Liverpool fans are as impatient as **** and demand trophies etc despite being a spent force and no better than top 6.

No they just reacted when their team were on the fringes of relegation, something we've been doing but we're still waiting for Houllier to turn it around.

I don't understand your first point, fran.

The fans that back GH get what they deserve? What's that mean? What do they get?

By keeping him in a job, they get a shit league position, and a relegation battle. the get a manager that gets his team knocked out of a cup by a massive rival that goes on to win it. thats just only part of the **** ups he has had a hand in.

The fans as a collective get what GH gives us, not what they deserve, whether they back him or not. It's RL that decides if he's not happy with GH's reign. I'm choosing to give him more time than others are and I'm concentrating on the positives where others concentrate on the negatives of which there are admittedly more to date. But the squad has turned a corner and I think we're looking a damn sight better on the pitch now than we were before the turn of the year. The fact that some can still point towards problems like set pieces just shows that it's not a completed job yet. It probably never will be perfect (has it ever been?) but I can point towards things that were negative at the start that are now positives. I can see a turnaround happening. I just hope that if and when it does happen, those who are currently against him are man enough to turn around and support him.

I would agree with that Bri. We're on our way to recovery under GH IMO. We certainly need to improve the set piece situation, and he needs to be less loose with his tongue.

But I can see signs of a turnaround, it just hasn't fully happened yet.

Man City? A massive rival? To the Champions League teams, not to us.
No, getting put out of the cup by Small Heath because GH can't get a team motivated enough to try win a game. But while your on that subject that was also a bit of a **** up to go with the rest. A laughing stock is all GH is creating.

No, getting put out of the cup by Small Heath because GH can't get a team motivated enough to try win a game. But while your on that subject that was also a bit of a **** up to go with the rest. A laughing stock is all GH is creating.

We battered SHA for 90 minutes and they sneaked a lucky goal with a massive deflection.

Can I ask why the people who still back Houllier think he can turn it around next season?

Take a look at Harry Redknapp. He took over Spurs in December where they were bottom by some distance and drastically improved them to a top 8 finish. Next season he improved them even further and got them finishing top 4. This season they're even better. It's just that Man City are in a better position due to all the money they've spent. But yet they still have every chance finishing 4th or even 3rd on a good run and they've had serious injuries as well! Let's just say he clicked straight away as soon as he joined at Spurs.

Now look at Houllier. His inherited a team that's finished 6th three times in a row, a team that's done better than Spurs over the two seasons apart from Harry's full season. From the moment Houllier joined he called us a 7th-12th team. Where on earth did that come from? If he said a 5th-8th team then fair enough. Why up to 12th? Anyway, how is it that his had much more time to prepare compared to Redknapp (September, not December) in a much, MUCH better position (8th with plenty of games, not 20th near half games left) that his managed to drag us all the way down to bottom 3 and now can't get us out of a relegation fight? Why is it that he can't get the results to progress back up even after splashing money on the Jan window? Why is it that were only 3 points away from relegation. That's outrageous.

Surely these comparisons suggest we're never gonna do that well under Houllier? Cos the moment he joined Villa he just hasn't clicked. Next season we may do better but can anyone see us do anything worthwhile than top 6 again? Cos I can't see us winning any trophies under him because he said he'll rest players against the big teams again and his obviously gonna have a bigger reason this time. And me saying we'll finish top 6 under him next season is being completely generous. Too generous in fact. There's no positives to suggest he'll get us the results.

It would be nice if it had clicked straight away.

But I'm sure he'd have kept many more supporters on board if there had even been just a few more obvious examples of progression. And by that, I don't mean overseeing slightly better results in recent games than he did at his absolute worst around Christmas/ early New Year. I mean progression on last year or the last few years. Mowbray-esque possession football in non threatening areas doesn't really qualify as such.

Up and down results in a season of transition are by no means unusual. But it has to be said there has been far more down than up this season. And no real evidence that we are addressing (or even attempting to address) what has been our Achilles heel this year - the defence.

That for me is the biggest frustration/ concern in all of this.

Apart from the fact that the players are passing it around more (but not necessarily getting anywhere or winning games) can anyone honestly say that we are a better team now than we were at the start of the season?

Apart from the fact that the players are passing it around more (but not necessarily getting anywhere or winning games) can anyone honestly say that we are a better team now than we were at the start of the season?

i can say it - but it wouldn't be true :lol:

Villa tried to win that game though ?

Terrible example to pick really and why do you care if we are a laughing stock ? Do you live in a nose area ? How bad is your suffering really ? You really do make a mountain out of a molehill sometimes .

It' a game FFS .

All the opposition has to do is go to sleep in their own half when we're doing our pointless tapping in our own half, while Houllier just sits in the dugout like he wants to sleep as well and when the clock gets to 80 mins, the opposition wakes up, makes a run, gets the ball, we concede a setpiece and what do you know, they've scored and won. It's really that easy to expose Houllier's tactics. :lol:

All the opposition has to do is go to sleep in their own half when we're doing our pointless tapping in our own half, while Houllier just sits in the dugout like he wants to sleep as well and when the clock gets to 80 mins, the opposition wakes up, makes a run, gets the ball, we concede a setpiece and what do you know, they've scored and won. It's really that easy to expose Houllier's tactics. :lol:

Bent and Young both had off days against Bolton. If they hadn't we would have ripped Bolton to shreds. Walker was fantastic, as was Albrighton. Robinson must be still rubbing his anus from the arse-raping he got off the two of them. The fact that Martin Petrov was uncharacteristically silent was telling. Our attacking and defending from open play are very good. our attackig and defending of set pieces are abysmal.

If you think all we do is aimlessly tap the bal from side to side, you're clearly watching with a) closed eyes or B) a closed mind.

Bent and Young both had off days against Bolton. If they hadn't we would have ripped Bolton to shreds. Walker was fantastic, as was Albrighton. Robinson must be still rubbing his anus from the arse-raping he got off the two of them. The fact that Martin Petrov was uncharacteristically silent was telling. Our attacking and defending from open play are very good. our attackig and defending of set pieces are abysmal.

If you think all we do is aimlessly tap the bal from side to side, you're clearly watching with a) closed eyes or B) a closed mind.

I maybe a little confused here but I think that we have played a lot more teams besides Bolton.

Â