Should Houllier Stay or Go? (New topic, new poll options)

bickster

Should Houllier Stay or Go?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Should Houllier Stay or Go?

• Should Stay
    • Should Go Now
    • Should Go at the End of the Season.

Duverne (our current fitness coach) was also clearly an issue for Evra.

And you make that a NEGATIVE against Duverne? :P

:mrgreen:

wasn't really a positive / negative thing though, just trying to explain (badly) why Houllier was copping some flak in France before he came to Villa.

Equally any people wanting Houllier gone are pinning their hopes on an adequate replacement, which would have to be for a long term appointment. And there aren't too many suitable at this moment in time, Coyle would be my first choice should that situation arise.

May i suggest that this may be partly the reason why so many are staying he should stay?

The fear of what may happen if he goes at this point in time?

I think if there was a credible big name replacement, and he indicated he would like the job, i bet this poll will be reversed.

I agree with the vast majority here, that replacing him now would be an act of suicide, and what we need is cohesion and stability. But if the right man is available come the summer, and he can build on the foundations laid down by Napoleon, we should go for it.

There has been some progress in the way we play, but i dont see any signs that he will get us anywhere near top six, and he is a walking disaster for the club with his big mouth.

I went out saturday night, and the majority of people i was with were very much younger than me. Im set in my ways, old school if you like. My opinions have been forged through different times, and dont agree with most of this generation, so i was called a Neandathal in my views.

Does not mean i was wrong, on the contrary, they were definately wrong, because experience tells me that.

Same with Houllier. His time is not now, it was yesterday. He does not fit in with the new way of doing things, and hence will always come across as stubborn and arrogant.

But times have changed, and though we may think people are wrong, their time, its now, its the new way. Hence i think Houllier is always going to find it difficult to get players playing for him, or getting his ideas across. And he is always going to get in trouble for his opinions.

We need somebody younger and a bit more drive.

Im babbling :lol:

I really believe we need a younger manager. Someone who is hungry for success and has a real vibrancy about them. Who can come in with real enthusiasm and see the club for the massive opportunity that it is. I've said it before but we need someone like Graham Taylor Mark One. As you said Coyle would certainly fit the bill and I wouldn't mind us taking a punt on Lambert or Grayson. Similar to what Everton did when they plucked David Moyes from Preston. These guys just seem to have that spark and hunger about. Also Moyes will be looking for a new challenge come the summer I believe and he would be a perfect fit for us.

I'm not bothered about the age at all, I don't know why everyone is tbh. Yes probably once the get older they start to lose a bit hunger and desire to win things but by no means does every manager go through it, fergie is old but by no means has he lost the desire to win. If anything i'd want someone with alot of experience tbh.

I really believe we need a younger manager. Someone who is hungry for success and has a real vibrancy about them. Who can come in with real enthusiasm and see the club for the massive opportunity that it is. I've said it before but we need someone like Graham Taylor Mark One. As you said Coyle would certainly fit the bill and I wouldn't mind us taking a punt on Lambert or Grayson. Similar to what Everton did when they plucked David Moyes from Preston. These guys just seem to have that spark and hunger about. Also Moyes will be looking for a new challenge come the summer I believe and he would be a perfect fit for us.

I'm not bothered about the age at all, I don't know why everyone is tbh. Yes probably once the get older they start to lose a bit hunger and desire to win things but by no means does every manager go through it, fergie is old but by no means has he lost the desire to win. If anything i'd want someone with alot of experience tbh.

Well all you simply do then, is bring in someone younger to work with him. How that works, i dont know, but im sure Randy has considered it.

I thought that whole mess was down to the players not liking Domenec

No there were other issues in there too, that was just one of them. Duverne (our current fitness coach) was also clearly an issue for Evra.

The situation was as far as I could make out never as simple as the players vs the manager

More along the lines of players / supporters / media / everyone and his dog vs the manager!

I think Domenec was the route of all the problems of that France squad personally, and if Duverne towed his managers line then it's natural he to would come in for flack.

Wouldnt be the first time Evra has had a disagreement with a fitness coach. Didnt he chin Chelseas fitness coach??

I think he did, but that is rather going off the point. Not even saying who was right either but just trying to correct some false impressions of what the actual situation was really.

Also Moyes will be looking for a new challenge come the summer I believe and he would be a perfect fit for us.

Mate, can't you see that there's a real irony about this. This is a manager who once finished seventeenth, was given time, and then the very next season finished fourth.

Did moyes need time because he came to a team who had just had their best season in years?

Well all you simply do then, is bring in someone younger to work with him. How that works, i dont know, but im sure Randy has considered it.

I think that's why G Mac is here who knows.

No age isn't the most importnt thing but as you said someone younger with plenty to achieve would likely have more hunger about them and for me would certianly have more vibrancy/energy/enthusiasm/desire and would see us for the massive club and opportunity that we are.

Thats not to say someone with plenty of experience couldn't work but the manager we have with plenty of experience now isn't working and in the areas of training/in the dressing room he is being found to be lacking for me. Whether that is beacuse he is lacking a real hunger or energy I don't know but its possible.

As I said previously and someone else has said maybe Houllier could stay and have a role over seeing a younger manager.

I'd love for Coyle to come in and I'm certain he could not turn down such a massive opportunity if offered it in the summer. Moyes could also be available in the summer and again I would have no problem with us bringing in Grayson or Lambert who for me have that something about them and could have an impact such as GT had when he moved from Watford the first time around and Moyes had at Everton after being plucked from Preston.

One things for sure something needs to change and it may just be that Houllier brings someone in alongside him to impact on the day to day training and in the dressing room. I have doubts as to that being enough though.

No age isn't the most importnt thing but as you said someone younger with plenty to achieve would likely have more hunger about them and for me would certianly have more vibrancy/energy/enthusiasm/desire and would see us for the massive club and opportunity that we are.

Age means NOTHING. Absolutely nothing (within reason obviously). Alex Ferguson is pretty much proof of this.

Note: I'm not saying Houllier will ever be as good or as successful as Ferguson, just because someone is young doesn't mean they're gonna have more enthusiasm about the club.

If Houllier was exactly the same as he is now but 20 years younger people would be calling for an experienced older manager.

The problem then is who? Lambert seems to be a name I've seen thrown about but the problem is there aren't that many good managers around and available. Even Coyle looks settled at Bolton and is presumably waiting for the Spurs job to be vacated... In my opinion. As for Moyes, he's done well with Everton but really they tended to do an opposite of Villa - start the season shite finish well, and they haven't improved. Yes their funding is limited, but let's not forget they've spent big on Feillani, Bilyaletdinov, etc, he's had plenty of time and some money, although admittedly not as much as MON. Saying that, Hughes "worked wonders on a small budget" at Blackburn but when he had money to spend (citeh) he spent on shit. 32m for Robinho, paying 18m for De Jong who would have been OOC in 6 months.... I don't think we should sign Moyes if the situation arose.

I'm obviously on the 'Houllier stay' side of the fence but if we're talking about taking a risk on a young up and coming manager from the lower leagues a la David Moyes then I think Burnley's Eddie Howe is one to keep an eye on. Let's see what he does with Burnley for the rest of the season but if he gets them up into the Premier League after what was looking like consecutive promotions with a minnow like Bournemouth then he will be (if not already) one of the hottest properties around.

Good shout Brian. There are a number of good relatively young up and coming managers about. I guess its about being brave enough to take a punt on one. It worked for Everton, it worked for us with GT Mark one and with Brain Little who learned their trade at much lesser clubs and spent a lot of time in the lower divisions although in fairness did have top flight experience. JG did relatively well, especially first couple of years, considering he worked under Ellis and had only managed Wycombe. Coyle is also doing well at Bolton having had little experience in the top flight previously.

Good shout Brian. There are a number of good relatively young up and coming managers about. I guess its about being brave enough to take a punt on one. It worked for Everton, it worked for us with GT Mark one and with Brain Little who learned their trade at much lesser clubs and spent a lot of time in the lower divisions although in fairness did have top flight experience. JG did relatively well, especially first couple of years, considering he worked under Ellis and had only managed Wycombe. Coyle is also doing well at Bolton having had little experience in the top flight previously.

Not knocking the present regime here, but do they have enough experience in English Football to take that risk, hence why Houllier was possibly the safe selection?

Â