415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine going out at Villa Park to a low attendance of 32,000, no atmosphere, it's a cold Wednesday night and the away team are up for it more. Heskey just gets sent off, the best player on the pitch at the time may I add, and they score to make it 0-1. All your fans start booing and singing derogatory chants to the manager. What would you do? I'd say right well fook off then am I putting in a performance, you don't want to support us then we won't try and get a result for you. I'd imagine it's not easy playing with no support and the only songs aimed at Houllier in a negative light. Fed up with all this booing now.

Exactly. Its so counter productive and its what will eventually send us down. I swear, half the goons that go to Villa park must be Bluenoses.

This needs to change big time. And no, sacking the manager IS NOT the answer

Say this nightmare does continue, does anyone think that the club might be forced to change it's position of support? If so, what's the threshold? Defeat away to Wigan? At home to Fulham? According to Bobby 'The Snail' Pires, the Sunderland/Sheffield United games would be decisive.

Imagine going out at Villa Park to a low attendance of 32,000, no atmosphere, it's a cold Wednesday night and the away team are up for it more. Heskey just gets sent off, the best player on the pitch at the time may I add, and they score to make it 0-1. All your fans start booing and singing derogatory chants to the manager. What would you do? I'd say right well fook off then am I putting in a performance, you don't want to support us then we won't try and get a result for you. I'd imagine it's not easy playing with no support and the only songs aimed at Houllier in a negative light. Fed up with all this booing now.

But the Houllier chants were quickly followed by "Villa till I die".

I dont condone the Houllier chants, as i kepy my mouth shut personally, but it wasnt all negative.

Oh yeah of course, Villa till I die was sung afterwards - BUT it's not enough for the team to have any kind of boost after being booed, shouted abuse at and have to be subject to "sacked in the morning". Not a great confidence boost is it when we are looking for any points we can get.

As has already been proposed, the only constructive option is now for all supporters to give him their backing.

Nonsense.

If you think that, snowychap, then you're one of about 3 people that doesn't realise that GH is not getting sacked.

If he's there and staying, what's the point of booing or shouting vitriol at him (which can affect the whole team)?

Agreed, there is another option - to just keep quiet.

People seem to be getting confused with Houllier and the team / club. He is not the club, he is not the team. He is (unfortunately and temporarily) the manager. Supporting him is not supporting the team. You do not have to support the manager , you support the team / club.

I would just add something I posted elsewhere.

My message is simply this, he is going to be removed as our manager anyway soon, maybe in one game maybe two or three games but he is going to go as it is obvious now he is not the right man for the club. So the really frustrating thing for me is the wasted time between now and the point at which he is removed, and then the time after that to appoint someone else. Valuable time we are losing during which positive action to stop the inevitable relegation could have been taken

Very frustrating

My message is simply this, he is going to be removed as our manager anyway soon, maybe in one game maybe two or three games but he is going to go as it is obvious now he is not the right man for the club. So the really frustrating thing for me is the wasted time between now and the point at which he is removed, and then the time after that to appoint someone else. Valuable time we are losing during which positive action to stop the inevitable relegation could have been taken

Richard, unfortunately for you he is in the club's long term plans.

People seem to be getting confused with Houllier and the team / club. He is not the club, he is not the team. He is (unfortunately and temporarily) the manager. Supporting him is not supporting the team. You do not have to support the manager , you support the team / club.

I would just add something I posted elsewhere.

Very frustrating

Thats what I thought after the blues game. this bloke ain't got it.

What is eating away at me today - is the fact that the board may accept relegation - as a way of getting the wages bill down - hoping that we roar back with GH'S teenage £10k a week boys ......a frightening thought !

If you think that, snowychap, then you're one of about 3 people that doesn't realise that GH is not getting sacked.

I don't think he's getting sacked (so that's one assumption you've got wrong). I think that Lerner and Faulkner wouldn't have an earthly what to do if they did sack him, tbh.

'About 3 people'? What the hell are you going on about? Have you been around canvassing? Been knocking on people's doors? Or are you making it up, eh?

If he's there and staying, what's the point of booing or shouting vitriol at him (which can affect the whole team)?

Because if the people at the game wish to show their dissatisfaction with the performances, with Houllier, with the players, &c. then they should choose how they wish to do it and they shouldn't listen to you telling them that it isn't the only constructive option.

As with your 'article' you make many assumptions about the future in order to come to your conclusion. Not allowing for those assumptions to be wrong is utterly foolish.

He may not be being sacked, but you don't know that any more than I do. Randy could have just given him until the Blues game. I've seen plenty of votes of confidence turned around in less time than that.

And, in my opinion, chanting as loudly as possible against the manager - while also cheering the team and individual players - is the best way to help get him out as quickly as possible. And that is a much better alternative to keeping him for the rest of the season, even if it means we have to crash out of the cup and lose to Blues.

People seem to be getting confused with Houllier and the team / club. ... My message is simply this, he is going to be removed as our manager anyway soon, maybe in one game maybe two or three games ...

Just what basis do you have for stating that, Richard?

I cannot see that the Villa management have that option in mind, and, if they have, then to leave the manager's chair improperly filled at such a juncture would not be an improvement to the situation.

GH has only been able to select from a near-fit senior squad in the last 2 games ... one of which saw a highly acceptable result at Chelsea. Luke Young remains unfit however, as does Delph. And Carew? the least said about that the better..

GH will be here at least till the summer i.m.o.

For the moment. Two more defeats (Sheffield and sha) and do you think he would still be? I think even you may be calling for his head then

Don't think so mate. Two defeats would make his position a lot less harder to support but after today's comments and the past week I don't think he will be sacked any time soon. He was offered his resignation at Xmas to see if he was still committed and he said he was, so that is the end of that

Supporting Houllier is no way supporting the club or the team. We would be supporting a man who if he stays will take us down in my opinion. The more fans get on his back the more he is likely to crack under the pressure and do one. The sooner that happens the better for all of us.

I've supported this club for over 30 years, last 23 as a season ticket holder and there is no way I can support a guy who is totally incapable of doing his job and to add insult to injury as no respect for me as a supporter as proved at Anfiled when he lauded it in front of the Kop whilst I stood along with 1800 other fans being totally ignored.

The fans don't want him, the vast majority of the players don't seem to want him.The sooner he **** off the better.

I dont condone the Houllier chants, as i kepy my mouth shut personally, but it wasnt all negative.

My mate who I sit by at the games started that, which was in disgusted reply to the houllier sacked in teh morning chants.

The sacked in the morning seemed to come from the back middle of the holte end upper and filtered down, my mate as livid and started that chant.

Boycotting games is an easy excuse to save yourself a bit of money and not lose face with other fans and it serves no purpose what so ever if you love the club.

At the end of the day we all love our club its a passion that can not be matched to even a woman, because even if Villa are ugly to look at you never go off with another club let alone look at it wishing you could. At least by going to the game you can cheer on the boys and try and help them to a win where staying away will only make things worse as a lot of these players will already planning which club they will go to when we are relegated.

I disagree with the any suggestion that protesting against GH will affect the team, have we forgot that he isn't exactly on their Christmas card list at the moment.

As for any suggestion of bringing MON back is a joke! Sometimes situations arise in life where it appears like the world is caving in and then 6 months later you find yourself in a much better position and thanking fate for that one bad episode for FORCING your new situation.

Move on! let MON running back to MON will not take this club forward which is where we should have been going after MON.

There also seems to be a lot of short memories of the negative parts of MON.

I don't think he's getting sacked (so that's one assumption you've got wrong). I think that Lerner and Faulkner wouldn't have an earthly what to do if they did sack him, tbh.

'About 3 people'? What the hell are you going on about? Have you been around canvassing? Been knocking on people's doors? Or are you making it up, eh?

Explanation not necessary. :winkold:

Because if the people at the game wish to show their dissatisfaction with the performances, with Houllier, with the players, &c. then they should choose how they wish to do it and they shouldn't listen to you telling them that it isn't the only constructive option.

As with your 'article' you make many assumptions about the future in order to come to your conclusion. Not allowing for those assumptions to be wrong is utterly foolish.

Well, I can see you are a member of Richard's cohort! ... A tendency to mis-read!

Supporting Houllier is no way supporting the club or the team. We would be supporting a man who if he stays will take us down in my opinion. The more fans get on his back the more he is likely to crack under the pressure and do one. The sooner that happens the better for all of us.

Houllier is part of the club at the minute though and whilst the board are publically showing no signs of going back on his appointment we have to make best the situation at hand.

That situation is Houllier is the manager of our team and the manager / team being subject to that vitriol can only make the situation worse. The best we can hope for is showing some solidarity / support and by some miracle Houllier pulls us through, surely that is better than the other option?

My mate who I sit by at the games started that, which was in disgusted reply to the houllier sacked in teh morning chants.

The sacked in the morning seemed to come from the back middle of the holte end upper and filtered down, my mate as livid and started that chant.

Good man. I was equally as livid.

I turned around and scowled at a couple of people before the mrs warned me about getting myself into trouble.

Â