The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

It sounds like it - it's just me being thankful it didn't cause any damage!! Hope you get yours sorted. I was mortified when I opened the screen back up - thank god it didn't cause a problem. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The wife is complaining about her current (android) mobile and wants something for her usual fix of texting her friends, Facebook, few photos of the kids (nothing special, the photos not the kids) and email...

I was thinking an iPhone 5c, would that be a good choice?

• Like 1

New iPhones should be out in September if history is anything to go by (the last iPhone which didn't come out on the third week in September was the 4s, way back in 2011 and that came out in October) so personally I'd sit tight and wait for a better deal on the 5s or 6/6 plus if you are shopping for bargains. 

The 5c is a rebadged 5.  It's three year old hardware at this point and it was the last iPhone to use a 32 bit processor.  From the 5s onwards Apple have used 64 bit processors.   I doubt very much whether your wife cares about such things but it's worth pointing out that if anything is going to stop getting updates in the near future then it's probably the phone which doesn't have the ability to run a 64 bit operating system. 

So yeah.  Wait six weeks, see if you can get a better deal. 

Valid points Mr Rev but she can't handle more than 4 inches...

She isn't interested in tech at all and she won't work the hardware very hard at all.

Thought she might like the idea of an iPhone and the 5c comes in some bright, female friendly colours.

Apple are notorious for shifting lots of brand new units under the guise of refurbished. I've had a couple of things like that and been completely mint in sealed original packaging.

There are several sellers on eBay selling these 16gb "refurbished" handsets in all colours all claiming they are perfect and as new with all accessories and boxes. I can't believe there are that many perfect units about that aren't new.

Price around the £166 mark and I have a 10% off eBay voucher. Seems good value?

Edited by Genie

• 2 months later...

Mrs got some Muse tickets and was sent some free codes to download new album. 

Has downloaded fine onto MacBook.then had to drag and drop it into iTunes, but its not visible on any another of her Appel devices.

Any thoughts on how to view it on phone/ipod/ipad chaps? Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Get one that will protect it if you drop it! There's loads, so I guess it depends on what suits your taste/budget. I do know that dropping it (mine fell out my pocket and hit a rock, and smashed the screen and damaged the connector port) is expensive - I had to pay 75 quid to apple - mind you they gave me a brand new replacement 6 with no hesitation, which was pretty damn good.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Eames said:

Anyone know or have experience of jailbreaking an iphone can clear an existing icloud account? 

And again, only in in English please? i.e. - are you asking if jail breaking will delete an iCloud account, or asking whether it will empty the cloud of data (leaving the account in existence and accessible), or are you asking how to "clear" an account? and what do you mean by "clear an account" anyway? 

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

And again, only in in English please? i.e. - are you asking if jail breaking will delete an iCloud account, or asking whether it will empty the cloud of data (leaving the account in existence and accessible), or are you asking how to "clear" an account? and what do you mean by "clear an account" anyway? 

The first one. - will jailbreaking delete an iCloud account - or at least make is possible to do so. 

It's possible to do so to an equal extent without having to jailbreak - depending on exactly what you want to achieve you can either just sign out on all devices that access it (e.g. on your iPhone go to settings > iCloud >sign Out> sign out). Repeat for other devices/ computers. You could (prior to signing out/deleting the account, "remove/delete" the documents or data stored in the account (though like with any cloud service it's not really irretrievably destroyed). It's hard to make it like the account never ever existed, same as with all cloud accounts.

Does that help?  

Thanks for the response Blandy - I haven't given a full enough explanation. 

I don't have the password for the iCloud account. Its not my phone - it was my brothers. I want my mum to be able to use it but also want to do a full reset before she does. 

I've logged it as a support call with Apple who won't delete the iCloud account - they have been given copies of the death certificate and proof that I am responsible for my brother's estate (although there is no grant of Probate because it isn't needed). Apple won't do it for Data Protection Act reasons (which is clearly bollocks)

Anyway - all that explains the need or desire to jailbreak to delete the iCloud account from the phone so I can factory re-set it, unjailbreak it and then give it to mother. 

Hope that all makes sense.  

Ah, understood. It's not really that you need the iCloud account deleted at all - that's just an interpretation of the situation that's not accurate. You need the phone to be treated as if it has been sold to a new user (Mum), but the old user (deceased Brother [sympathies]) has forgotten to erase it, in essence. 

So, can you access the phone settings, or are you locked out of the phone? if you can then you may be in luck. If you can't you'll need apple to sort it, I think. - because you basically want the phone restored to factory settings, in reality - as if it were a fresh phone, so then it can be set up for the new user (your Ma). The phones are as far as I know, if it's a recentish model highly resistant to thieves resetting them.

I'd maybe contact apple and put the question differently - tell them the situation that you just want to rest the phone and to set it up for a new owner. that might make it easier for them?

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

Ah, understood. It's not really that you need the iCloud account deleted at all - that's just an interpretation of the situation that's not accurate. You need the phone to be treated as if it has been sold to a new user (Mum), but the old user (deceased Brother [sympathies]) has forgotten to erase it, in essence. 

So, can you access the phone settings, or are you locked out of the phone? if you can then you may be in luck. If you can't you'll need apple to sort it, I think. - because you basically want the phone restored to factory settings, in reality - as if it were a fresh phone, so then it can be set up for the new user (your Ma). The phones are as far as I know, if it's a recentish model highly resistant to thieves resetting them.

I'd maybe contact apple and put the question differently - tell them the situation that you just want to rest the phone and to set it up for a new owner. that might make it easier for them?

I can access the phone's settings yes - his passcode was easy to guess. :)

Yeah its a 6 running iOS 9.2 as of yesterday. (I know its not currently possible to jailbreak 9.2) 

I've tried Apple over several weeks and yeah - they've not been forthcoming - hence the "**** you I'll jailbreak it option) 

38 minutes ago, Eames said:

I can access the phone's settings yes

So, you should just be able to go to settings > iCloud >Find My iPhone > and turn that off.

Then once that's off you should be able to go to settings > general> Reset>  Erase all Content and Settings and that basically sets it back to "out of the box" condition.

(I think you have to turn off Find My iPhone first, to make sure that "ownership" is cleared for a new owner to be subsequently set up.)

You could also do a full erase from a computer. 

Â