The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

Yes. Music is basically identical to the Android app.  Google Now is an app rather than a part of the OS so it's not quite as good as the Android version, but it's still perfectly useable.  It's miles better than Siri too. 

I hope they spend some of it on sorting out their ruddy software, which has gone down in quality with OS8 and Yosemite.

Though having said that, I was doing that garden bird counting on my iPad at the weekend, and it emitted a phone ring tone noixse. This was unexpected, as it's not a phone. Then a phone answering icon appeared, so I pressed it, and it on the "phone" was the Gas Boiler engineer explaining why he was an hour late.

I'm not sure which suprised me more - the ipad turning itself into my telephone and just working perfectly, or the inventiveness of the excuse from the technician.

Wow. A new low from Apple. They now feel that they can route your phone calls without explicit permission.  Good job it wasn't a malicious call routed to a child using your ipad.

It's probably illegal for them to do this in the UK/EU under the Interception of Communication Act / Communications Act / RIPA.

It was ace. I dunno if it was because the boiler bloke had my mail and phone details, so the call from his iPhone came from my phone via wifi, or what. I guess I will have done some setting to allow it and forgotten all about it. A new high, rather than low.

Would you have been happy if it was someone calling from "Microsoft" because there's something wrong with your computer and a child answered it and followed their instructions?

Ace technology - fairly poor execution. It shouldn't automatically do it, but if chosen as a user option its brilliant.

Confirmation bias much? It's poor execution and probably illegal but you rationalise that as brilliant.

It's like a religion.

Ace technology - fairly poor execution. It shouldn't automatically do it, but if chosen as a user option its brilliant.

Confirmation bias much? It's poor execution and probably illegal but you rationalise that as brilliant.

It's like a religion.

Not at all. I've never personally owned an Apple product.

However, device preference services are excellent. We have one at work.  Rather than having a landline and a mobile number I have one 0300 number. I can use any "fixed" phone from any desk in the organisation, or, if like today I'm sitting in Starbucks.... all my calls are routed to my blackberry on the 0300 number.

I'm confused. I'm no apple 'fanboy' but simply work in R+D (currently in cellular - using Apple devices) but it seems a bit of a strange thing to get stressy about. It's a feature, a feature which is useful to many and can be very easily disabled. It also only becomes active if explicitly requested to by the user.

When the latest OS installs, a message pops up on devices using the same apple logon on the same wi-fi network. If 'yes' is selected, you then have to  type in your apple password. Therefore, if you regularly lend your apple devices logged into your apple account and don't want the possibility of calls being forwarded to it, then simply  deactivate the feature. If, like me, you are the only one who uses your various apple products. Its not an issue whatsoever.

If you really wanted to, you could write yourself an application, or simply tweak some parameters of existing applications to allow the same functionality on Android devices. I should know, I'm testing one right now.

Edited by Djemba_Villan

I'm confused. I'm no apple 'fanboy' but simply work in R+D (currently in cellular - using Apple devices) but it seems a bit of a strange thing to get stressy about. It's a feature, a feature which is useful to many and can be very easily disabled. It also only becomes active if explicitly requested to by the user.

When the latest OS installs, a message pops up on devices using the same apple logon on the same wi-fi network. If 'yes' is selected, you then have to  type in your apple password. Therefore, if you regularly lend your apple devices logged into your apple account and don't want the possibility of calls being forwarded to it, then simply  deactivate the feature. If, like me, you are the only one who uses your various apple products. Its not an issue whatsoever.

Ah, so blandy got this wrong. He said it didn't ask him. If it asked then I have no problem with it.

Would you have been happy if it was someone calling from "Microsoft" because there's something wrong with your computer and a child answered it and followed their instructions?

There's a difference between the bloke who services my boiler, whose number I have, who I was expecting to knock on the door or e mail or call me (I'd sent him a message saying where are you?" phoning me in response to say "sorry I'm late" and scammers calling me.

That's totally unrelated to the make of tech, or OS. I dunno why you'd ask that question tbh - confirmation bias, maybe? :)

so blandy got this wrong. He said it didn't ask him. If it asked then I have no problem with it.

I didn't say that at all. All I said was I was looking at the RSPB on my iPad and was surprised when it rang like a phone with the plumber calling. Dunno what I was "wrong about".

There's a difference between the bloke who services my boiler, whose number I have, who I was expecting to knock on the door or e mail or call me (I'd sent him a message saying where are you?" phoning me in response to say "sorry I'm late" and scammers calling me.

That's totally unrelated to the make of tech, or OS. I dunno why you'd ask that question tbh - confirmation bias, maybe? :)

I used MS as an example because there are a lot of scams around that work just like I described. Nothing to do with any technology.

so blandy got this wrong. He said it didn't ask him. If it asked then I have no problem with it.

I didn't say that at all. All I said was I was looking at the RSPB on my iPad and was surprised when it rang like a phone with the plumber calling. Dunno what I was "wrong about".

You said that you didn't remember anything asking if it could intercept your calls. If it did ask then fine. I''d have thought they'd make it more obvious than they seem to have done, especially as it might be illegal.

It was widely advertised when the feature was implemented, I didn't own an Apple device at the time (other than an ancient iPod) and I was aware of it.  You can have your iOS device linked to your Mac too so you can take calls on your desktop or laptop if they are on the same WLAN.   http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT6337 

• Like 2

It was widely advertised when the feature was implemented, I didn't own an Apple device at the time (other than an ancient iPod) and I was aware of it.  You can have your iOS device linked to your Mac too so you can take calls on your desktop or laptop if they are on the same WLAN.   http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT6337

I haven't heard about this before. I wonder why it needs both wifi and bluetooth.

You said that you didn't remember anything asking if it could intercept your calls. If it did ask then fine. I''d have thought they'd make it more obvious than they seem to have done, especially as it might be illegal.

No I didn't! I never mentioned any such thing!

Also it didn't intercept my call. My phone was downstairs not being used, and auto-locked. I was upstairs using the iPad. Apple software in the phone and/or iPad forwarded the call to the iPad, which it knew was in use by an authorised user (me) - I'm thinking by wifi, or maybe because the plumber has an iphone it was something to do with facetime. Either way it was a pleasant surprise not to have to run downstairs/ miss the call because I didn't hear it.

No I didn't! I never mentioned any such thing!

Also it didn't intercept my call. My phone was downstairs not being used, and auto-locked. I was upstairs using the iPad. Apple software in the phone and/or iPad forwarded the call to the iPad, which it knew was in use by an authorised user (me) - I'm thinking by wifi, or maybe because the plumber has an iphone it was something to do with facetime. Either way it was a pleasant surprise not to have to run downstairs/ miss the call because I didn't hear it.

I'm using "interception" here in the legal sense and what you described is, legally, interception. However if you'd given prior permission then that's fine and quite neat. I think that the risk of something going wrong would have caused me to not accept the risk, but that's a personal decision.

• Like 1

Â