Salary Capping - A Sensible Approach?

bannedfromHandV

Will it work?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will it work?

• Yes
    • No
    • Perhaps, but it needs refining

Been thinking about this all weekend, not sure why entirely (though I think it has a lot to do with Stephen Ireland and my opinion as to why he isn't our best player right now, because in terms of ability he probably should be) but I think this might work.

Instead of a blanket cap for all professionals why not instead introduce a system which provides huge incentives for younger players. Bring in a system whereby earnings are capped up until the age of around 25 with annual increments from the age of 18, up until age 18 I think players should be only able to earn a YTS wage or something similar, or perhaps even just introduce a flat rate for anyone up to the age of 18, from then you could implement the annual increments easily

18 - max £250p/w

19 - £500p/w

20 - £1000p/w

21 - £1500p/w

22 - £2000p/w

23 - £2500p/w

24 - £3000p/w

25+ - uncapped

This should achieve multiple goals, it should mean we see slighly less of promising players being snapped up by larger teams as irregardless of the size of the club they could not potentially offer anything more financially than a club in League 2 (though I appreciate the best young talent will still invariably end up at the biggest clubs but then that's pretty much always been the way anyway), it should also mean that younger players (Stephen Ireland) don't make millions before they're even 21 and should keep them working hard to achieve the money they're after later in life, hand in hand with this is that it should give these same players a greater and more realistic economical mindset and will hopefully prevent the plethora of newspaper incidents we hear about now (rape/sexual assault, driving under the influence etc), at least to a degree anyway.

This seems fair for me as it's a way of saying to these guys that yes, you can earn the ridiculous wages but you have to put a shift in for a few years beforehand. With young players now no longer able to earn more money they may choose to stay with their local clubs just a tad more which means you may even see something of a more even keel throughout the league in general, perhaps.

I'd personally rather see a set wage budget for the division you're in, regardless if you're Man Citeh or Blackpool - each team has the same to spend on wages each week for the named 25 players.

Citeh could still pay stupid wages to certain players but wouldn't be able to cherry pick the best players!!!

set a wage cap (weekly) on each club, that'll soon tighten things up.

And what do you base that cap upon? Who set's it? Who regulates it?

What about exisiting contracts? What about bonus payments, image rights etc.

Its easy to say but the reality of it is far far harder.

Its never ever going to happen.

For a start you couldn't do that based on recent age discrimination legistlation before we even get into other issues.

Thats bull though isnt it?

I mean I couldnt go for a exeuctive job, not get it and say, thats experience distrcrimination.

Likewise, I wish i was on a poultry 2500 a week at 23!

i think it gets to a point where if your on so much money, you cant be discriminated against.. **** hell Rooney could claim he's being discriminated against because hes not on 300k a week.

The clubs could just say they're the rules or, the pay is based on experience of the job.

I wouldnt want to see a wage cap personally, because in the perfect world, financial success is a reward for sporting success. A successfull team should be allowed to re-invest their turnover in order to attract better players.

The problem comes with the external investment that comes into football club, completely wiping away any sense of fairness.

I think investment restrictions and debt restrictions would be a better idea.

For a start you couldn't do that based on recent age discrimination legistlation before we even get into other issues.

No. You can't have a pay structure for people doing the same job based on nothing but age.

You may not agree with it but its the law.

No. You can't have a pay structure for people doing the same job based on nothing but age.

Correct.

Which makes a complete mockery of the redundancy payments system which does rely on an individuals age, regardless of experience.

eh?

when i was 16 I earnt £3.60 p/h for pot washing. The guy who i did it with was 18 and he earnt £4.20 p/h

The minimum wage is based purely on age

set a wage cap (weekly) on each club, that'll soon tighten things up.

And what do you base that cap upon? Who set's it? Who regulates it?

What about exisiting contracts? What about bonus payments, image rights etc.

Its easy to say but the reality of it is far far harder.

Its never ever going to happen.

PL - whoever is charge of finance within the PL (there must be someone), existing contracts can continue until they expire then once it expires the new rules kick in, bonus payments, image rights etc go towards the club in making youth development or the club facilities better rather then the players wages.

I agree its never going to happen.

minimum or cap - im not sure what the difference is? Its still a wage structure!

Because a minimum is setting the lowest someone can be paid. Thus protecting people.

Setting a wage cap is putting a limit on earnings, the direct opposite thing to a minimum wage.

minimum or cap - im not sure what the difference is? Its still a wage structure!

Because a minimum is setting the lowest someone can be paid. Thus protecting people.

Setting a wage cap is putting a limit on earnings, the direct opposite thing to a minimum wage.

Yep I see that, but why can one be based on age when the other can't? The minimum wage gives more protection to people who are of an older age - surely thats age discrimination.

Yep I see that, but why can one be based on age when the other can't? The minimum wage gives more protection to people who are of an older age - surely thats age discrimination.

Beacause the minimum wage is there to protect people a salary cap wouldn't be.

As for the age at which the minimum wage applies its from the age in which children can work in proper jobs. There has to be a cut of point and this is what was picked and seems logical.

This though is going a little OT now.

All a salary cap will do is make club owners richer instead of footballers, won't benefit us as fans in any shape or form. The prices won't drop because the players are having their wages capped. Most clubs charge as much as they can get away with for everything and those incomes are still dwarfed the TV money in most instances.

Salary capping won't achieve anything, in fact it'll make make the status quo within the leagues more permanent as the best players will still move to the "best clubs". You really want to make a difference? Scrap the champions league and go back to the three solid cup competitions in Europe we had before. Yes there was inequality under that system but none so much as there is now

Â