Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He disappeared at Stoke in the second half.

We should be playing Ireland in the free role. Would VDV be as effective for Spurs in a central midfield two, of course he wouldn't.

Perfect example for people who say "he's a midfielder, he should be able to play in a two".

STEPHEN Ireland’s Villa team-mates are more interested in his midfield motor than his crazy car collection after saluting his stamina over his style.

Ireland has a reputation for being flamboyant thanks to his Range Rover with pink wheels and his girlfriend’s personalised Bentley.

But Richard Dunne reckons his Irish compatriot’s reputation should really be the reverse – normal off the pitch and extraordinary on it.

“He’s normal,” said Dunne, who knows Ireland well from Manchester City and the Republic of Ireland.

“He does the odd thing which is a bit mad but he’s generally a really nice fella.

“He doesn’t cause trouble, he doesn’t argue with anyone, everyone gets on well with him. I think he’s well liked already around the dressing room.

“He’s one of those who doesn’t care what people say, he does his own thing. To him it’s normal, to other people it’s a story.

“If you slag him off he doesn’t bat an eyelid, he just gets on with everything.”

Ireland has endured a stop-start introduction to Villa after a 6-0 drubbing at Newcastle on his debut and a series of niggly knocks.

But Dunne reckons once the 24-year-old playmaker gets back up to full speed he will cover every blade of grass for the club.

Ireland is among the fittest players in the Premier League and has the stats to prove it, according to Dunne.

“He’ll turn into a real star player for the team,” he added.

“We’ve got a real good talent on our hands who, given time and patience, will be outstanding.

“He’s got really good energy. If you look at the stats at the end of games then the distance he covers is usually higher than most players.

“He never shirks the responsibility of hard work. Equally, when he gets the ball his quality on it really shines through.”

Dunne admits Ireland has had a difficult start at Villa but reckons the new boy is already showing promising signs of his potential in matches and training.

“He’s a very good player – it just takes time,” added Dunne. “He’s had game in, game out, starting and not starting and little knocks.

“Once he gets a run of four or five games everyone will be able to see what a top player he is.

“I’m sure he’ll want to win the Villa fans over and show them how good he can be.

“I was in the dressing room for the second half of the Bolton game. I saw one of the runs he made and nearly scored.

“It was similar to what he was doing at Man City when he was playing all the time.

‘‘He was doing that and putting them away. The more games he plays and the fitter he gets the more confident he becomes in his surroundings and then we’ll see his best.”

http://tinyurl.com/3amsz4s

Looking forward to seeing more of Ireland. I also dont think Ash is that great in the role behind the front man either. He's very direct in his approach play, he'll aim to take players on, get it onto his right foot and any sign of the target go for goal which aginst experinced defenders, hes found out too easily. From what ive seen of Ireland in the past, he is far more unpredictable around the box, which i think is something we've lacked alot of recently, especially at home.

Before he joined, he's always been one of my most admired "non-Villa" players I wish we had signed, and I hope he can bring back some of the magic he produced in 08/09.

• 2 weeks later...
Stephen Ireland is confident that Aston Villa can continue to improve after a promising start to the season.

Villa drew 0-0 with Chelsea at Villa Park on Saturday, a result that left Gerard Houllier's side just three points behind third-placed Arsenal.

"At times we looked really good and we asked a lot of questions of Chelsea," midfielder Ireland, 24, told BBC WM.

"We'll only get better the more that we play together and hopefully after Christmas we can really kick on."

With Marc Albrighton sidelined with a virus, the former Manchester City midfielder was handed only his third Premier League start for the club he joined in August as part of the deal that took James Milner to Eastlands.

Ireland almost netted his first goal for Villa inside two minutes, but he shot wide after being played through by Stewart Downing.

"The ball just got caught under my feet," said Ireland. "Usually my first touch would be two yards away from me so I can get my whereabouts.

"My head was down, I just tried to hit it across the keeper and unfortunately it didn't go in for me.

"I've just got to keep getting those chances, keep making those runs and hopefully I'll start putting them away eventually."

Villa travel to Sunderland on Saturday, with Houllier waiting on the fitness of defenders Luke Young and Richard Dunne, as well as striker Emile Heskey.

Young and Heskey were not fit enough to make the starting line-up against Chelsea, while Dunne was forced off after 13 minutes after being hurt in a challenge with Gael Kakuta.

http://tinyurl.com/34kbytl

Thought he played well on Saturday - Unlucky he didn't put his chance away, and made some good runs during the first half.

Liked what I saw and hopefully he can press on to become the player we know he can become.

Thought he played well on Saturday - Unlucky he didn't put his chance away, and made some good runs during the first half.

Liked what I saw and hopefully he can press on to become the player we know he can become.

Im with you on the above.

I would add though, playing against Chelsea requires a disciplined approach, not charging forward at every opportunity, which is what we got from him.

If he plays against Sunderland or Burnley, i think we will see him in a more attacking mood.

I think those who have said he needs games are right. He is drifting in and out of them at the moment, but when he does have a spell, then he looks very dangerous. I think his ideal position is in the hole where he played on Saturday. I see no sense in having him drop deep to collect the ball when he can create so much in and around the opposition penalty area.

Reminds me a lot of when Petrov first arrived.

What he does, he does well; he just doesnt do enough of it.

I'm sure his form will come, but it'll probably be another Young / Milner / Downing / Petrov episode where he will play well below par for the first season, achieving the coveted "scapegoat status" award as he does so.

I'll confidently say we'll see the best of him once Gabby is back and playing regularly.

What I like about Ireland is when he receives the ball he's always immediately looking for a forward pass so instead of a stationary Carew, a speedy Gabby is just what he needs for the through balls.

I'll confidently say we'll see the best of him once Gabby is back and playing regularly.

What I like about Ireland is when he receives the ball he's always immediately looking for a forward pass so instead of a stationary Carew, a speedy Gabby is just what he needs for the through balls.

Ireland got MOTM in the Express & Star match report

Not sure about all this 'when Gabby comes back' talk. Because for me Heskey will be the number 1 striker when fit due to his intelligence and hold up play. Things Gerard obviously admires. Gabby will have to make do with cameos I reckon. Which might help when he sits and watches games, his education will increase ten fold

Can't wait to see him linking up with Gabby and sending him through. Very clever player, some silky skills too!

That would be good if Gabby wasn't thick and wont be able to read half the balls played to him from Ireland.